Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: DJ Software Comparison - Page: 2

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

apopsisdjPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
I tried djpower some years ago... so i dont have something to say about the current version.
And i really can't remember what i didn't liked about it. It was not so user friendly i think.
It has some cool features like adjustable curves in crossfader, but i think it was (is?) designed more for radio automation and such..
But when you play live with dj software, you must FEEL comfortable from the first time with it like you feel with turntables or cd players, just play and go... This is where Virtual dj really shines: so easy of use and so powerfull at the same time, and this is not easy to achieve believe me.
(more features than the expensive cdj1000's... not to mention the Pioneer dvd players...)
But again my comments about djpower are for an older version.
Try the demos @REAL conditions -not @home-, and then you will know... by yourself.
No need to ask others then...
Good luck.

Posted Wed 01 Jun 05 @ 3:06 am
kilerbHome userMember since 2005
Yeah i hear ya... The reason I'm asking before trying is because I'm a total newbie and never really tried anything like these programs before. I don't even know what to look for. They all seem similar. Someone on another thread was saying that MixVibes had better sound quality than virtual DJ. I tried both of them on my computer and didn't really hear a difference myself. I just want the best software for doing wedding receptions. I do wedding videography now and want to add a DJ package to our services.

Posted Wed 01 Jun 05 @ 3:36 am
apopsisdjPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
"Someone on another thread was saying that MixVibes had better sound quality than virtual DJ"
...This was probably me..., as i have both programs (legal) and moreover i'm beta-tester for mixvibes. I was talking ONLY about the scratch sound, yes i believe scratch sound is better in mixvibes dvs, but you dont need to scratch at weddings...

PS. i already did some weddings with Virtualdj.

Posted Wed 01 Jun 05 @ 4:16 am
Kilerb,

I've tried Tactile 12000
OtsTurntable
Mixmeister
Acid and a few others...

By far, Virtual DJ is the best in terms of ease of use, mixing, support forums, great interface, customized skins, options for listening with headphones to incoming mixes and much more. There are folks who are experts in these forums who can give you their experience spinning at large forums. The product is probably the best in price for all the options you get.

I have used the product live in conferences, festivals, bars, and even two weeks ago at a large three day festival for a poetry slam when the actual DJ couldn't make the gig. Luckily I had my laptop at that event and ended up selling a couple of mix CD's when the night was over.

Usually, all I have to do is bring my stable laptop, some extra cables and some adapters and I'm ready to usually plug in to the equipment that is already at the venue. I use a standard headphone with attached microphone and it works fine. I also carry my Archos MP3 player as a backup should by some freak accident the laptop should fail and I have to switch to another music playing device.

If you just want a powerful MP3 player that will allow you to mix, create effects, echo, fade out and much more, then this is the program for you. If this is all you want to do, and don't have long term plans of becoming "Super House Dj Mix Master KilerB", then a good laptop with memory, speed, graphic and sound car should be all you need along with microphone and headset to get started.

Word of advice, the forums on this site are probably the best place to learn how to really use the program. I learn something everyday from the talented folks on this site.

Hope this helps.

PS- Many of us are also waiting for the Behringer reviews to come in to the forums.

Posted Wed 01 Jun 05 @ 5:02 am
kilerbHome userMember since 2005
Thanks a lot... Sounds like this is the way to go. I appreciate your feedback guys. So you don't even use a mixer when you do this? You just plug your mic and headset right into your laptop? Or you plug into their existing equipment?

Posted Wed 01 Jun 05 @ 6:23 am
claxPRO InfinityMember since 2004
It depends.

If you go to a club / special gig where a mixer is available you plug your laptop to that mixer, and your microphone/headphones.

If there's nothing available you can use yours.

If not you can still plug your laptop to an amplifier.

But for sure this software is amazing.

Posted Wed 01 Jun 05 @ 11:00 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)