Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Motu Ultralite mk3 configuration in order to prelisten an use the mic - Page: 2

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

isrortPRO InfinityMember since 2009
Dazmax wrote :
Ok now forget moving the speaker connections jus leav them in main out 1-2

Check to see if the headphone signal is comming from the CUE vol control and the master volume is now only comming through the speakers.

should i still connect the phones in the 'phone jack' in the front?, or in some output in the rear panel of motu?

i still got master Front Output; Headphones: Rear Output. and the connections in the same way.. the master works, but i cant cue

btw i just added in my msg

Posted Sun 29 Nov 09 @ 12:43 pm
DazmaxPRO InfinityMember since 2007
yep the headphone should still be plugged into the HP jack at the front.

Posted Sun 29 Nov 09 @ 12:45 pm
daz i put analog 1-2 in the phone assign and seems to work jejejeje...

oks... then about the speakers config...

Posted Sun 29 Nov 09 @ 12:48 pm
Ok seems that they refer to the asign in a different way to what common sense suggests when looking at the rear panel.

So to confirm do you now have independant control over Headphone/CUE and the sound going to your main speakers?

Posted Sun 29 Nov 09 @ 12:52 pm
thats correct...

Posted Sun 29 Nov 09 @ 1:07 pm
Ok mate.

I have to take a break for about 1/2 a hour and phone my wife as she is in the UK at the moment and I am in Saudi Arabia.

Will get back to you very shortly.

Good work mate. We are getting there.

Daz

Posted Sun 29 Nov 09 @ 1:12 pm
oks daz.. we check the pa speakers and sub config later... saved my life again... thanks

Posted Sun 29 Nov 09 @ 1:16 pm
Ok

can you send/post a pick showing the control panel on the sub.

Based on what you have told me you currently have the low pass filter set at 65Hz and the hi pass filter on through. I would suggest a low pass frequency that is higher (set at about 80Hz)

Is the high pass filter adjustable or does it only give the frequency you mentioned?

If the high pass filter is adjustable it shoud be set at 65 or 70 Hz.

The 180 0 switch controls the phase of the sub and can be adjusted for whatever you find gives the best bass re-inforcement.

The master slave switch is what I want to check out. If you can pop a pic up it would help but you can just give me the model of the sub so I can check it outon the net.

Daz

BTW is the mic working ok?

Posted Sun 29 Nov 09 @ 1:45 pm
Dazmax wrote :
Ok

can you send/post a pick showing the control panel on the sub.

Based on what you have told me you currently have the low pass filter set at 65Hz and the hi pass filter on through. I would suggest a low pass frequency that is higher (set at about 80Hz)

Is the high pass filter adjustable or does it only give the frequency you mentioned?

If the high pass filter is adjustable it shoud be set at 65 or 70 Hz.

The 180 0 switch controls the phase of the sub and can be adjusted for whatever you find gives the best bass re-inforcement.

The master slave switch is what I want to check out. If you can pop a pic up it would help but you can just give me the model of the sub so I can check it outon the net.

Daz

BTW is the mic working ok?

oks here we go...

my PA Sub model is the Cerwin Vega cva-118 and i have 2 pa speakers.. heres the pic...

1.- The high pass is adjustable for 65, 85, 130 hz, and bypass only
2.- The low pass can be adjustable in a range from 65 to 130 hz, (not exact numbers in the range... is open)
3.- How to know if the 180 o 0 switch is better.
4.- master/slave... the info is in the pic..

thks agian my frien

Posted Sun 29 Nov 09 @ 2:07 pm
heres a better pic

Posted Sun 29 Nov 09 @ 2:13 pm

Posted Sun 29 Nov 09 @ 2:16 pm
Ok

You should be connected in the following way. Main out 1 and 2 on the Motu 1 gives you Left and 2 gives you Right. These should be connected to the L and R IN on the Sub.

each of your PA speakers should be connected to the L and R thru connections on the Sub.

Master/slave select to------master

low pass to around the center point in the range

High pass to--------65Hz

Polarity to------------0 (to start with. If you find that you hear more bass when set to 180 then thats fine. It will depend on where the sub is positioned relative to the PA speakers) you can use your ears for this. There should be a noticable difference if the switch is moved so just use whatever position works best.

Posted Sun 29 Nov 09 @ 2:29 pm
Hi mate

Goin have to go and hit the hay. Its comin on for midnight here in Sunny Saudi and I have an early start so il'e catch up tomorow.

let me know how you get on. Oh yeh and if the mic is working ok.

Daz

Posted Sun 29 Nov 09 @ 2:58 pm
Hi daz

i will make the configs u just suggested as soon as i back to my studio (sorry for no answer quick i had to go out).
The manual refers to a master set up when u daisy chain subs, no pa speakers. Anyway im gonna try.

Btw the mic is working too.

Posted Sun 29 Nov 09 @ 4:15 pm
it worked my friend....just rest tune my speakers in order to do not blow em up.... i remeber, u just told me how to do it but i don't remember

Saludos

Posted Sun 29 Nov 09 @ 7:47 pm
Hi mate

Copy of what I told you before.

The CV has a limit led which comes on red and the Mackie has a limit led which changes from Green=signal to Yellow limitter active.

The rest should to some extent be a case of reading the manuals. However the manuals for the CV and Mackie stuff do not provide information on input sensitivity/ matching. (too busy quoting output powers i'm afraid)

So here goes. A very rough setup! Turn all the level controls on the speakers to minimum. Adjust the mixer/audio interface to provide a 0db output ( with your setup look at the level bars on the VDJ skin, 0db is when the bars are just reaching the top occasionaly) and slowly turn up each speakers level control until the limit indicator just flickers "ocasionaly" (You may want ear deffenders for this bit). Then return the master level on your Mixer/audio interface (or the VDJ mixer on the skin) to minimum and your all set. This is by no means an acurate setup but it should be safe. If you hear any audible sound distortion back off the output level on the vestax (or VDJ mixer on the skin).

The CVs do not have a limiter built in so if that light is flashing on more than off ,TURN IT DOWN or they will shut down. The Mackies do have a limiter built in but the same rule applies.

Let me know if you need any more help and good luck with your new equipment.

Daz

Posted Mon 30 Nov 09 @ 5:41 am
All right DAz. i got a couple of doubts, if u allow me...

1.- i was wondering Daz, as you know the Motu Ultralite has several balanced inputs and outputs, so.... if i want to connect another devices like cd players, ipods, play station, etc. can i do without a mixer and just mix into the motu?, in fact, i remember that you and charlie suggested buy a mixer in the first place but i don't see necessary do that anymore, right?

2.- if i buy another set of speakers, i know that i can daisy chain them with the actual set up... but what could be the result if i connect that new set into another balanced output of the motu? is it the same in quality and performance? or its just not possible?

BTW... as i said, i just made the config of my sub and pa speakers as u just recommend me (R output from the sub to one pa speaker and the L output from the sub to the other PA speaker). What i was doing before, was set the sub as slave and connect from the link out of the sub to one pa speaker and from that pa speaker connect the other one. My question is, and being honest i didn't noticed differences; so the performance, quality should be the same? or whats the big deal?....if i buy just pa speaker... should i connect those to another output of the motu, or from each pa speaker?

thanks in advance for the advises.

a) Old Arrangement: Motu (main outputs L,R) --------> Sub Slave mode (link out output)-----> PA Speaker -----> PA Speaker

b) Actual arrangement (u suggested me): Motu (main outputs L,R)------> Sub Master Mode (R output)----->PASpeaker
.......................................................................................................(L output)
............................................................................................................|
............................................................................................................V
....................................................................................................PA Speaker

Posted Mon 30 Nov 09 @ 1:19 pm
Hi mate

your points

1. yes you can but we/you would ave to work out how to assign the additional inputs to the master output L and R. Should not be too hard and the Motu can function as a stand alone unit so if the laptop went down you would still have your mic, headphones and whatever you connected to the Motu (CD,ipod whatever)

2.you would only gain a local volume control for the extra pair of speakers so there would not be any real advantage to this. It would be better to just daisy chain. So to add the new PA speakers you would daisy chain from the Left PA speaker to the next Left speaker and from the Right PA speaker to the next Right PA speaker.

3. Using method a) you were combining the Left and Right signals and sending a Mono signal to both Left and Right PA speakers. The link output should only be used to daisy chain an additional Sub not the PA speakers. If you add another Sub you would connect a cable from the link on Sub 1 to the link on Sub 2 and set Sub 2 to slave. This means that Sub 1 is in control and its filter settings and so on would control both subs at the same time.

Using method b) The stereo L and R signals are sent to the Sub The electronics in the Sub takes the Bass portion of both Left and Right signals and sends this combined mono signal to drive the Sub's Amp and Speaker throu the low pass filter (This filter removes any high frequency content in the signal that the Sub can't produce). The left and right signals from the input connectors on the Sub are also sent but not combined to the Left and Right Thru connectors after passing thru the High Pass filter (This filter removes the low bass content from the signals being sent to the Left and Right PA speakers) and on to the PA speakers. So the PA speakers still run in Stereo and the Sub Runs in combined mono.

You can do this because there is little or no stereo information in the Sub Bass (100Hz or lower) and these low bass frequency signals are not directional. Try playing some music with a good stereo effect, Stand in front of your system and close your eyes. Then try and work out where the Sub bass sounds are comming from. It is virtually impossible. But you will be able to work out exactly where the High frequency sounds are comming from because at higher frequency your ears can detect the direction of a sound source with no problem.

Daz

Posted Mon 30 Nov 09 @ 2:34 pm
oks...everything clear about the speakers and make sense to me.

About the Motu and Mixer....i will send u the movie of the cuefx SW that comes with the audio interface; what i could see is that this SW allows mix as stand alone or work together with a third party SW like VDJ.. so the motu can run as a mixer using the SW or the board... but u have to check it out in order to confirm that statement.

the thing here is that the movie is 175 mb jejeje how can i send u?

Posted Mon 30 Nov 09 @ 3:00 pm
Hi maate

I don't know, 175mb is a big file and my internet connection speed out here in Saudi is not good. it would take several hours to download.

Perhaps contacting Motu support mighy be the best option.

Daz

Posted Tue 01 Dec 09 @ 2:31 am
58%