Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Adjusting CBGs

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

djejPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Ok...I'll try my best to explain what I'd like help with. I have shortcuts set up to adjust CBG 4 (The big square) and the little CBGs. The CBG 4 adjustment simply switches which CBG is the large one. The other adjustment moves all the CBGs together.

Is there a way to adjust a single CBG? You know, move one CBG vs them all being connected. Thanks.

Posted Tue 29 Mar 05 @ 4:35 pm
Nope its part of a grid they all move in unison(4 boxes in the grid equals to 4 squares bigeest one being the first beat
Andre

Posted Tue 29 Mar 05 @ 4:50 pm
Thanks Landry. It's mostly my older stuff...lousy drummers I guess. Well, thank goodness for pitch bending.

Posted Tue 29 Mar 05 @ 6:22 pm
you CAN move CBG's "babysteps" to make them fit under beats...
if thats what you mean..

And not only change the big square from one cbg to another

The fine adjust is VERY needed to adjust cbgs under beat

Click my name, and there is a keyboard shortcut guide.
Or, use a skin with BOTH arrows to move big cbg, and arrows for fine adjust

Posted Tue 29 Mar 05 @ 10:33 pm
Youre Welcome
Andre

Posted Wed 30 Mar 05 @ 3:59 am
thx NOrway...you're the one who originally helped me figure it out. Much appreciated. I didn't read your blog yet so if it covers this I'm sorry. It didn't sound like from your note you were with me :) I'd like to move the CBG's individually. I get the change the value piece of it to move them slightly. I want to move them independent of each other. Is that possible?

Posted Wed 30 Mar 05 @ 5:10 am
I know my question is a little off topic although I don't see why I should start a new post for this.
what does CBG stand for? I know its the little squares under the wavetable to try and help a DJ find his 1st beat unless they were meant for something else then someone please enlight me. I'm very new to this "digital mixing" although I've grown tired of lugging all my vinyl around from gig to gig hehe.

Best regards

DJ White Devil

Posted Wed 30 Mar 05 @ 8:15 am
JeremKPRO InfinityStaffMember since 2004
CBG= Constant Beat Grid

If i'm wrong correct me please!

Posted Wed 30 Mar 05 @ 1:17 pm
COMPUTED beat grid ;)

@ djej : BUT - they can NOT be adjusted individually :)
the whole point of them is to detect a steady beat... for beatmixing, loops and sample use :)
Its to detect the 99% steady 4 by 4 beats of any song...

For those rare songs (live or recorded live at studio, like some 70's disco) where the beat is NOT steady, thats where u gotta nudge a lot to keep up the speed, or use beatlock that will adjust the speed constantly to keep the 2 songs together by beat (and not cbg)
Beatlock was developed for that kind of use first of all :)

so, sorry... adjusting ONE CBG independent of others would mess up the whole idea behind the COMPUTED BEAT GRID... its for aiding the program for seamless loops, effect use and sample use etc etc

Posted Wed 30 Mar 05 @ 1:41 pm
@DJ_whiteDVL

The CBGs (computed beat grid) is almost the core of Virtual DJ. Its the tool that aids the program to make you a "better" dj, having better mixes and using all the features almost of Virtual DJ

For them to work correct they should be aligned under each beat of the song (drum beat/bass beat) that is usually a spike in the waveform (use CBG arrows in skin or keyboard shortcuts to align, click my name for keyboard shortcut guide)

Also, for best mixes (beatmixing by measure of a song, so that both songs are aligned by first beat of a measure = sounds less sour, vocals start correct etc) the BIG cbg square should be under the first beat of a measure (usually the first beat of a song OR the first beat of vocal start if long intro)

the CBG's helps Virtual DJ to make seamless loops, to match samples to beats, to sync 2 songs together , lots of effect use and more.... and also a great aid for your own manual mixing, if you look at those big cbg squares to make sure your beatmixing is aligned in measures :)

But, for all this to work flawlessly, they have to be under each beat (spike in waveform). VDJ adjust them automatically perfect most of the time. But sometimes you have to adjust them yourself, and most often only the BIG square to be on the first beat of a measure

hope that helps ;) happy mixing

Posted Wed 30 Mar 05 @ 1:51 pm
interesting. Thanks for the info DJ in norway that's great. I wouldn't go as far as making me (or anyone for that matter) a better DJ, but I will definatelly say that it sure makes it a LOT easier LOL.

DJ White Devil

Posted Wed 30 Mar 05 @ 1:55 pm

Posted Wed 30 Mar 05 @ 1:56 pm
Cbgs are soooooooo important align all your songs then you can use the time in between the songs for selection.Less time wasted cueiing up before mixing.
Andre

Posted Wed 30 Mar 05 @ 3:44 pm
I haven't really found a use for them since I'm used to the good old ear although I can definatelly say that I wish I had this when I first started 9 years ago.

Great stuff for beginners or learners or the trade! I guess this also helps for all the effects as well so that everything stays in beat after removing the option?

Sorry for the ignorance although I have always prefered using external hardware to do the job of effects and such although for those who don't have the cash to spend on this equipment its great tools to have!

Great work on the software and great support on the forums!

Now I'll just have to wait until this weekend to order VDJ and the TCV.

DJ White Devil

Posted Wed 30 Mar 05 @ 3:45 pm
It sure is a good way to start learning dj-ing :)

As a hardware user for 9 years some of the aid given by the program is probably not that usefull for you... :)

But the major thing for me, is having the ability to bring on a big collection of songs to gig, and easily find them :) beats the hell out of searching through all those cd's :)

look forward to seeing you as a member :)

Posted Wed 30 Mar 05 @ 4:24 pm
yeah I go through vinyl instead of CDs and I must say that CDs are quite lighter then vinyl LOL. But yes this is the main reason why I'm now looking to go into the digital world of VDJ.

Thanks for all the help over the past months I know it will continue after I purchase the full software.

DJ White Devil

Posted Wed 30 Mar 05 @ 4:54 pm
sure will ;)

Posted Wed 30 Mar 05 @ 8:35 pm
Is there any way to map the CBGs so that if I have the 1st beat of a song cued up, I could press the number 1 key so that the larger square will automatically align itself under the cued beat?

OO

Posted Tue 12 Apr 05 @ 11:56 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)