Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Plugins

Topic: iWall SMS Integration - Page: 6

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

wmorgan12 wrote :
http://www.t2slive.co.uk/

its free and works

Keep in mind, the DJ notion of free has already driven away 3 companies. I have managed to keep 2 of these companies active in VDJ8 but just barely.

With t2s there is absolutely no one to contact on that. If you want to run it stand alone with no support then that is one thing and running it so it displays in VDJ is another. I or someone else could try to reverse engineer it but why? So someone could spend a considerable amount of time and get no real pay back for it?

I continue to look for lower cost alternatives but there is only so much time in a day. I do this for the people who donate to the cause. I have 3 emails out on this now and so far I have a descent response on one. No telling where that will go if anywhere.

For me the donations only cover a small fraction of the time I spend on working on things for VDJ and I have to look beyond that.

To make donations for TellyVisuals and TellyMedia on going development, general testing for VDJ8, and other things I do to help you out, you can go here:

http://www.tellyvisuals.com

Posted Fri 02 Jan 15 @ 9:44 am
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009
Hey Don,

I still didn't have the time to test and play around with your plugins. But definitely will do... meanwhile take my donation :)

Posted Fri 02 Jan 15 @ 11:01 am
Thanks so much PachN. It means more to me than just the money.

I will have your license code out directly. I manage the donations very well and I truly hope I can treat this as a further investment for you someday.

Posted Fri 02 Jan 15 @ 11:07 am
Hi, Don

I am running Iwall 3,7 now and telly visuals1.41 plus and telly media 1.45plus
Can you tell me how to start up/ install the things to run Iwall with vdj8
/where can i find the install instructions/ tutorial?

can you help me ?

Posted Fri 02 Jan 15 @ 5:57 pm
Hi Ed,

TellyVisuals will need a chat panel. This is a panel type that tells TV where to put the SMS and other incoming messages. TV comes up by default with a chat and voting panel.

Run iWall and then bring up the TV interface. TV will find iWall and display the iWall icon in the upper right in TV showing that TV is connected to iWall. Go ahead and activate TV. There are probably some demo messages being displayed. You can turn these off in the Options tab of TV.

Easiest thing to do from iWall right now is to send a moderator message. From the Moderator tab in iWall type some text where it says: "Type your message here and press enter to post it". Just above the Approve button. Whatever you typed should appear on the VDJ video screen.

For SMS messages, you need a GSM modem. For Twitter, Facebook, etc. you just need to enter your account numbers for each in iWall Preferences tab. For Twitter you could enter a hash tag like #dog and those messages will start to download and display in VDJ.

There is help for TV but the help is outdated. It should be enough to get you started though. There is a lot of information in it and press 'help' in lower left of TV.

Walk thru the above steps and then ask more questions as needed.

Posted Fri 02 Jan 15 @ 7:22 pm
Don Thanks, it works well now with tekst!!
can i also pictures send bij email/twitter to the screen? (tekst by email works also)

Posted Fri 02 Jan 15 @ 8:23 pm
The pictures from iWall are received by TV. There are 2 types of pictures. One is the user's avatar image. This is currently displayed. The other is a larger user image. You might have the chat panel scrolling horizontally or vertically. I tried fitting the user image within the flow of the text but it is really too small to see well when doing that. So I am looking at letting you display this image as the background for any panel. It needs to sync with the message and I just need to do more work on that. I have been busy with other things and have not gotten to that yet.

PS: The help button is in lower right of TV :) but you already know that.

Posted Sat 03 Jan 15 @ 6:14 am
Hi don,

Scrolling horiz. or verticaal i've tried, but pictures sent bij facebook,twitter en email wil not on my tellytv screen?
Is there a solution?

Posted Sat 03 Jan 15 @ 5:55 pm
o - The users small avatar image should display

o - The users large image will not display right now since it is not complete - it does not work well when showing it within the text since it is too small - I mentioned horizontal and vertical in the context it is even smaller when scrolling horizontal so this is no good - I mentioned I will allow it to display as a background image for a panel

Posted Sun 04 Jan 15 @ 1:53 am
Is there a way to get a whole iWall's display in VDJ's display somehow? Just realised that iWall's display is a thoroughbred HTML5 web browser and one can make a fantastic text animations and various effects. Why would you catch scrollers from Facebook, when you can get the real thing over it?

Posted Mon 05 Jan 15 @ 3:59 am
You might have noticed the iWall displays are pretty basic taking over entire display. While you can do a lot with HTML5, not sure it lends itself well to a highly motion filled environment such as VDJ video.

At any rate, first thing you should do is to create an HTML template to display in iWall that has all the features you think would be appropriate. Go complex and see what you get. For most this would be tricky at best unless a very simple display. The basic iWall templates as they stand do not need HTML to recreate them. Now I do think more flexible ways of designing things are good and a scripting language would be nice. I intended TV to have such a language in the beginning. I even started to create a video showing what it could really do. But I was told to move on and stopped all work on that. I did not feel like I should show you things that you did not have access to from the user interface.

Like always, you have to balance the time between what people will actually do and how much time it takes versus some pay back for it. iWall and other companies have stopped development for VDJ because there is no money to be made there.

Posted Mon 05 Jan 15 @ 6:33 am
Trust me, these templates are the pure HTML5:
<code>
<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
<head>
<meta charset="utf-8">
<meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=edge,chrome=1">
<title>iWall - Projection</title>
<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1">
<link rel="shortcut icon" href="favicon.ico">

<link rel="stylesheet" href="fonts/pt_sans.css">
<link rel="stylesheet" href="css/main.css">
</head>
<body>
</code>

It's normal, after all that mess with Flash in past days and Adobe's retarded behaviour about it. I understand that you must follow your DJ customers, they are not programmers in HTML and hardcoded setup is the only reasonable approach. I've just asked if it's possible. Right now, as an NLU, I can do a lot in iWall, even without their license. I don't even need a phone... ;-)

Posted Mon 05 Jan 15 @ 12:49 pm
No one said they weren't HTML5. I said the templates were very basic and I implied for you to go ahead and do something with them that might impress someone in a dynamic way. If you like the simple nature of the existing ones fine, but you probably want to go way beyond that, so go do it and let us know how it goes for you. Then we can break it down piece meal. Mix in some playlist and karaoke features while you are at it.

I spent years with both HTML and Flash and can't say I like either. They have their place though. If you only knew how bad both have really been over the years. HTML5 is an improvement though. Flash on the other hand never seems to get better. Try watching Hulu for any length of time without problems.

Main thing over the years people want to do this and that but it is becomes almost pointless in this arena.

Posted Mon 05 Jan 15 @ 12:59 pm
No way, I'm done with volunteering... I've learned to keep my knowledge for myself. The best reward for helping is always a kick in the butt or kick from the forum, whatever comes First ;-). Regards...

Posted Mon 05 Jan 15 @ 4:58 pm
I was teasing a little Ivan. Point is HTML has never been very good at dynamic content. When you might be trying to mix in video, karaoke, and other things it becomes a poor fit.

Way back when the document object model (DOM) was introduced for HTML. I said hey that's cool let me see what you can do with it. Hmm... looked pretty good in IE, let me try in some other browser, wow that sucked. The DOM allowed you to manipulate HTML with JavaScript. Back then the more you tried to do the worse it was. Of course things have gotten better since then but still, if you want to deal with dynamic content other than something simple, you will end programming in a worse environment with poorer results then other choices you may have.

Just some history on this, back in 2005/2006 20th Century Fox was asking Pangolin about text messaging and in association with their new movie coming out Ice Age 2. They wanted to do a live webcast for the company in 13 countries around the world. They also wanted people to be able to text in and show that on screen. This all had to be done in a web browser. Bill knew I had a messaging server already and Pangolin already had SMU which is like a server based IMU. The only browser that would work at the time for this was IE. You could bend and twist the HTML very well with JavaScript. At that time every other browser really sucked in this regard. IE was most popular back then anyway.

Java (not JavaScript) was also readily available. I needed Java to connect to the server and receive the messages. Now you can use a WebSocket component in webpages but back then Java was the best choice. I hid the Java code and it's display so it was invisible. The Java code received the message, passed that to the JavaScript code which then placed the message into the HTML. The live video was center screen and the text messages streamed in on the sides. The text messages would scroll up much as you see elsewhere today. I used Window Media Player imbedded in browse for the video. It all worked quite well but it can be a pain in the ass dealing with it all in an HTML/JavaScript environment. The live video was shot in New York and Bill told me it was like 5000 dollars an hour for streaming it. That's what I remember the cost being but whatever, I know I said damn that's expensive. Bill's response more or less was, "Yeah but it's 20th Century Fox".

So you see not my first go around with all this and not to say you cannot do a lot with HTML5. But a point will come where you would start to understand where I am coming from.

Posted Mon 05 Jan 15 @ 6:21 pm
I love your stories, ties pretty sweet in this winter environment and fire from fireplace ;-). I've never wanted to fill the display with too much HTML5 effects, I've been thinking it would be cool to use it for various text effects. Francisco from iWall is very smart dude and he prepared everything for his users. Question is, are they aware of that and capable to use it? Look here and imagine how this can be used in posting texts messages on the display:
http://cozuya.github.io/TextEffect-jQuery-plugin/

Posted Tue 06 Jan 15 @ 4:28 am
Yeah I like Francisco, good dude.

The good thing about HTML is you have a well known way of organizing the content of a display. In this context there is no interaction like on a normal webpage and so just talking about the display. So unless you just want a non changing display, you will need to be using JavaScript. So iWall provides you with some templates to use so it works out of the box. My question about that is where do they expect you to go after that? Many are quite capable of managing the JavaScript and HTML but many are not. Consider it another programming environment.

It could be you have a 3rd party doing this for you. But then what? I mean 'you' as in anyone. Every event you have someone do a new page for you?

That is just some questions I have about this. In the previous post I was trying to relate some of this. I do think that someone should walk thru the process of creating a new template for iWall so that process can be discussed. I am leaving out HTML to VDJ for the time being but briefly iWall uses node webkit for the HTML display. You would need to use this or some other browser technology and hope it works the way you would need it to punch it into VDJ properly. You could do some kind of screen shot thing but that is always going to suck.

Ivan, I have already mentioned to you that I know you are an ideas guy. I can sit here and imagine all the time. I have several hard drives stored away with years of imagination on them.

imagination + implementation = ?

Posted Tue 06 Jan 15 @ 9:30 am
Well looks like I'll be making the switch to iWall after you get the pictures up and running.

I asked Pangolin in the other thread if they're next update would better inter grate Facebook, Twitter and Instagram and got a pretty generic response and those types of responses usually mean no.

Posted Tue 06 Jan 15 @ 10:21 am
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009
Testing TV with iWall... it seems that the messages are not repeated. Any ideas? Or is this not possible?

Posted Tue 06 Jan 15 @ 11:51 am
If you've aproved them, they should repeat. There's a setup under the "Projection" tab, Repeat last ... messages.

Posted Tue 06 Jan 15 @ 1:01 pm
92%