Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: How can I add flac support to NC5 / VDJ ? - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

Hello,

This is my first time on any kind of forum. My situation, which has driven me to the edge of despair, propelled me into this action. I have recently purchased Numark Cue 5, aka VDJ. I bought this on impulse, whilst buying some hardware, but felt reassured due to its reputable position in this field.

I am in the early stages of digitizing my entire music collection, CD's & Vinyl and have chosen to store them in FLAC format, on massive NAS Drives accompanied by a music server. However, I have also recently entered the world of DJ'ing, where I was invited to play the music at a show. It went so well, that I've been invited onto the team to provide the pre, post and change-over music. The venue owner was also impressed and is preparing an offer of my own slot!

So, I now have the need to store my music at audiophile quality for my home system and for portability to take on the road, as required. Enter Numark Cue 5. Alas, it does not cite direct support for FLAC. I have downloaded what I think to be the FLAC codec, from sourceforge. But it appears to be a FLAC editing tool for windows. The selection of 'add' codec within the config window does not show flac on the list.

Can anyone please advise me on how I may source and load/import the flac codec into Numark Cue 5? Also, can the tags be read too? A perusal of threads here suggests that it is not supported. Have I got this wrong? Even the mighty Winamp can process and play flac files. Is it unreasonable to think that the eminent NC5 / VDJ software should at least do the same? I really am confused now.

I am committed to flac and if I can't use VDJ to process this codec then I'll sadly have to look at other inferior products that do support it.

Please help / advise.

Thanking you in advance

Steve

Posted Fri 14 Nov 08 @ 7:14 am
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
FLAC tags are not currently supported, no, but FLAC as an audio format will work - I use it myself.

I think FLAC is now natively supported - if you add it to the codecs tab, and use the internal decoder to play it back.

However, if it doesn't work, install oggcodecs from here: http://www.xiph.org/dshow/ and then add flac to the codecs tab using windows media player audio decoder.

Regards,

Scott

Posted Fri 14 Nov 08 @ 7:58 am
Hey Scott,

Thank you soooo much for your guidance. I followed your instruction and it worked. Thank you...

Now, you must allow me to return the favour.... I scoured the forum for help and found a real cool tool, produced by a very cool guy with the handle of Andrew87. He wrote a tool to yield meta tag info for flac files. I tried it and with a bit of fiddling, I gotta say that it does wot it says on the tin! Still no cover Art, but loads of desired info nevertheless. Andrew87 is indeed a star! Check out this thread to the end, where you'll find a link to his latest version of the tool.

http://www.virtualdj.com/forums/90129/General_Discussion/FLAC_Meta_data_support_through_VDJ.html

Thanx Again...

May the Vibez Be With You!

Posted Fri 14 Nov 08 @ 3:08 pm
Thanks, I'm already aware of that tool, but don't need it ;)

Posted Fri 14 Nov 08 @ 6:28 pm
Hey Scott,

I'm curious. How to you get by without the tag data, e.g. Artist info?

Regards

Steve

Posted Sat 15 Nov 08 @ 7:49 am
FLAC tags are not currently supported, no, but FLAC as an audio format will work - I use it myself.

I think FLAC is now natively supported - if you add it to the codecs tab, and use the internal decoder to play it back.

However, if it doesn't work, install oggcodecs from here: http://www.xiph.org/dshow/ and then add flac to the codecs tab using windows media player audio decoder.

Regards,

Scott

Sounds easy. However, I have now downloaded the oggcodecs from the site you mention, but where do I find the wmp audio converter. I've been looking in all wmp menues but don't seem to find it. Help please!
p

Posted Sun 03 May 09 @ 4:27 pm
It's in the VDJ config window on the codecs tab. I don't know if your version has this option however.

Posted Sun 03 May 09 @ 5:31 pm
guess your on a beta build sbdj?

Posted Mon 04 May 09 @ 7:18 am
mattpattie wrote :
guess your on a beta build sbdj?

I think SBDJ is refering to Limited Edition vs Professional. Nothing to do with beta.

Posted Mon 04 May 09 @ 7:36 am
I have the 5.2.1 vdj, using a Hercules dj console rmx. Not the vdj pro version. If I understand you correctly, I need to upgrade to pro in order to convert FLAC? p

Posted Mon 04 May 09 @ 1:58 pm
Sorry - as above I was referring to Limited vs Pro.

I've never used a version of Limited Edition, so have no idea what is included exactly - but I'm sure the configuration options are much more limited.

If you don't have the codecs tab, then you'll either need to upgrade to pro or convert your files.

Posted Mon 04 May 09 @ 3:10 pm
Ok, time to get the pro version then...However I'm about to buy a new lap top. Will it be possible to download it again for free for the new computer, or do I need to repurchase then?

Posted Mon 04 May 09 @ 3:53 pm
Once you have purchased the license it is yours. And you can download it as many times as you want. You can also install on upto 2 machines providing YOU use both machines.

At the moment all updates have been FREE to professional users - so V6 should be a free upgrade when its released. =)

See you as a pro user soon.

Posted Mon 04 May 09 @ 3:55 pm
More than grateful. p

Posted Mon 04 May 09 @ 4:07 pm
I'm sure you'll be pleased with all the extra toys and options you get - not to mention access to all the downloads on this site :)

Posted Mon 04 May 09 @ 4:25 pm
djtouchdan wrote :
Once you have purchased the license it is yours. And you can download it as many times as you want. You can also install on upto 2 machines providing YOU use both machines.

At the moment all updates have been FREE to professional users - so V6 should be a free upgrade when its released. =)

See you as a pro user soon.

Are they in fact working on vdj6.0, or is it a 5.3 or even a 5.2.2 ? :)

Posted Mon 04 May 09 @ 7:42 pm
It's v6...

Posted Mon 04 May 09 @ 8:40 pm

Posted Thu 07 May 09 @ 4:25 pm
Another question - how do you safeguard a possible computer breakdown during a session. Do you always bring a back-up laptop? (as you probably noticed, not much experience on my side - so far...) Again, very grateful for support! p

Posted Thu 07 May 09 @ 4:37 pm
kaybuzHome userMember since 2009
Thanks for this post

Posted Thu 07 May 09 @ 5:16 pm
91%