Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: DJ AND TECHNO PIONEER RICHIE HAWTIN ADMITS TO USING SYNC BUTTON! - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

BishPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Thought I would use my high school basic journalism skills to grab your attention.

Richie Hawtin has released a 13min video describing his TRAKTOR setup for 2008. link HERE

Interesting to watch, for me I felt a little like 'ýeah get up to speed with the rest of us bud (oh and change software to vdj)'. I also felt a little validated in that someone with his credibility is taking a bold step in saying, yeah I use it, you got a problem.

Interested in hearing others opinions.

BISHOUT

*If someone could fix my poor linking skills, that would be most appreciated!!!*
EDIT: link fixed by Superstom

Posted Mon 15 Sep 08 @ 6:34 pm
jimmy bPRO InfinityMember since 2007
Bloody hell, what a title!!!!!

That's got to be the longest title I've seen so far, lol

Posted Mon 15 Sep 08 @ 7:09 pm
sischoPRO InfinityMember since 2005
Yep:-)

Posted Mon 15 Sep 08 @ 7:12 pm
dydy1PRO InfinityMember since 2006
That' s beautiful man. That' s the direction I am moving In. Virtual DJ Mac version Is not advanced enough to allow four decks.

Cool

Posted Mon 15 Sep 08 @ 7:36 pm
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
Use the URL tags instead of the HTML hyperlink.

For example (remove *)

[*url]http://www.virtualdj.com[*/url] gives http://www.virtualdj.com

[*url=http://www.virtualdj.com]Virtual DJ[*/url] gives Virtual DJ

HTH :)

Regards,

Scott

Posted Mon 15 Sep 08 @ 8:06 pm
Bish wrote :
....Interesting to watch, for me I felt a little like 'ýeah get up to speed with the rest of us bud (oh and change software to vdj)'. I also felt a little validated in that someone with his credibility is taking a bold step in saying, yeah I use it, you got a problem.

Interested in hearing others opinions.

I always thought the creative part of Djing was the part that is missing with a lot of Djs (you can teach people to play the notes on a guitar but they will never be a Hendrix or a Santana cause I lack the creative vision). Digital Djing is a lot like that. There are a lot of Djs that can physically match beats, scratch on rhythm, and such but they lack the creativity to make their programming "flow". On the other side there are a lot of really creative people out there that can tell you what to play next and when it would sound good to mix it in that could never be heard because they didn't have the coordination or physical skills to get it right. The digital tools take care of those technical things so they can let those the creativity shine through.

BPM Sync is just another tool to get the Dj past the mundane and boring physical part of mixing and give the creative guys more time for more creative stuff.....I have always said "it doen't matter what tools you use to build the house as long as the end result is architecturally pleasing"

Posted Tue 16 Sep 08 @ 3:54 am
Well said dj-e-lectric!

The synch button is just a tool us digital djs have at our dispousal. I use it all the time which frees up my time to pre-listen to 3, 4 or 5 songs and determine which one flows best for the mix. In the old days, you'd spend a minute or two synching the record, then were almost forced to mix with that song 'cause the initial track was coming to an end.

Remember the old days before TV remote controls? When you had to go up to the TV and change the channel by hand? Does it make the TV show any better cause we had to change it by hand? No, it made it more inconvienient cause we had to get up/down all the time. TV Remote control has enhanced our TV viewing pleasure.

It always puzzles me that guys who hate digital DJing, who stick to old school vinyl, are ready to accept technology advancements in all other areas of their lives - computers, satellite TV, microwave ovens, car dashboards, portable GPS devices, MP3 players etc. - but refuse to acknowlege technological advancements in DJing.

As a good friend once told me: Work smarter - not harder.

Posted Tue 16 Sep 08 @ 4:03 pm
dydy1PRO InfinityMember since 2006
DJ Bish and others, keep them coming. I just made two new modifications In the Denon DN-S1200 XML Mapper.

They work beautifully. I will continue Beta testing It. I also have to write a small literature on what It Is.

Posted Tue 16 Sep 08 @ 5:23 pm
sirslick wrote :
Well said dj-e-lectric!

It always puzzles me that guys who hate digital DJing, who stick to old school vinyl, are ready to accept technology advancements in all other areas of their lives - computers, satellite TV, microwave ovens, car dashboards, portable GPS devices, MP3 players etc. - but refuse to acknowlege technological advancements in DJing.

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against guys who like to use the old ways....just the guys that look down on you if you aren't "old school". Fact of the matter is I was "old school" before most of these young guys were born....had no choice.

If you use vinyl because you like the feel and the feedback and enjoy "workin the vinyl" that's cool mix on my brotha. If you use turntables soley because you think you "look cool" or you are being a "real dj" then I feel sorry for you that your mind is so narrow as to not respect and appreciate alternative methods of producing a pleasing end result. The customers don't care, the music sounds the same either way!

I think all sports cars should have a five speed and not automatic transmissions or abs brakes because I like to "get involved" in my driving, feel the road, drift the curves, heel & toe the brakes and gas, hear the rip of the horsepower fromt a straight 6, give me a 1970 240z anyday......but some people like to be in the leather plush mercedes so they don't feel the road, they don't hear the engine, they want to enjoy the comfortable ride, catch the scenery, cocoon themselves and decompress.....we both get to the same place, just different styles.

Posted Tue 16 Sep 08 @ 8:54 pm
Man-TkPRO InfinityMember since 2004
now everybody can mix without ears ....but ... can you say that you are a dj ??? a real dj know how to put 2 songs in sync without a cheater feature like "SYNC" OR "BEATLOCK" ...yes , you can call me old ...but i feel like a real dj with my turntables .... some "new" djs can't mix without software (it's a shame) .

Posted Tue 16 Sep 08 @ 10:34 pm
I wouldnt really say it is a shame as a lot of dj's including myself actually started out on software and never used tables. My rig is totally different then anyone elses (except DJ Nutz) whereas I use nothing but Touchscreen and can still rock the party. I personally have never touched a TT (would love to learn though). I got all the respect in the world for a dj that can Rock the Party no matter what they use of the style the dj:)

Posted Tue 16 Sep 08 @ 11:12 pm
jimmy bPRO InfinityMember since 2007
discobrian24 wrote :
I personally have never touched a TT (would love to learn though).

Come over to my side of the pond Brian, I would give you a lesson or 2 mate, on how to spin old school vinyl, lol

Posted Tue 16 Sep 08 @ 11:25 pm
HiTowerPRO InfinityMember since 2007
The term DJ is so varied. A DJ can be a Master of Ceremony, turntableist, beat mixer, producer, etc. Each variation says the other isn't a real DJ. Whatever. As long as you do the job you're hired to do, run a LEGAL business, and provide the client with what they're paying for, you're a real DJ. Accept it haters.

Posted Tue 16 Sep 08 @ 11:31 pm
HiTower wrote :
Accept it haters.

Word.

Posted Tue 16 Sep 08 @ 11:52 pm
watching this gave me a really nice idea for the sampler section.
~tempo lock~
like BEAT LOCK but just keeps the tempo, i.e. i can record a sample with autoplay on and stop the deckand the loop will keep going
i can then manually mix in the otherdeck
it would be nice if there was the sync could also put the new track in time with the sample,
just an idea

must say watching this (and reading some of the comments) has given me a few replys to some of the younglings that come up and say huh a laptop jock.

memories of cd players comming out :)

Posted Wed 17 Sep 08 @ 4:14 am
ive started out trying my hand at timecoded vinyl and ive only got 1 Numark TT1610 belt drive and the beat match is a must for me! as otherwise it always loses the beat every 1-2 seconds!!! ive always used the beat match as when droping a song its always perfect (normally unless it droped to late and it goes to the next beat!!) but without it i would never of progressed in my mixing skills as fast as i have done

Posted Wed 17 Sep 08 @ 4:46 am
im defiently no old school, but i dont like cds... thats why i use the best of both worlds... the TCV because you can still physically match beats yourself without sync, AND you can use loops on vinyls, thats what i love with the time codes, you can still match the beats the old skool way, and use the digiatal side of looping without the audience even knowning, to spice up your mix even more.
i apphrieate the fact that people use sync still, because it does take away that boring part of DJing, because you have a lot more time to mix stuff on each track...

Someone once told me that DJing = Beatmatchin and thats all it is to it, if you cannot beatmatch you cannot DJ...
well iv been DJing with this stuff for over 1 and a half now and Im still learning to beatmatch pysically... so i do not agree with what tha guy told me. besides... theres effects, loops, samples... Bar matching...
So the world doesent always resolve around BEATMATCHING... they are just old school freaks that need to move with the times.

Posted Wed 17 Sep 08 @ 5:24 am
DJ Access no1 wrote :
.... thats what i love with the time codes, you can still match the beats the old skool way, and use the digiatal side of looping without the audience even knowning, to spice up your mix even more.

Dj Access No 1 hit on a curious notion.

Consider how many "...if you don't beat mix vinyl you're not a real DJ" statements are given from vinyl/TCV Djs, yet they don't hesitate to use the digital looping and effects features provided by VDj and serrato.

If you "puritst Djs" really want to be old school don't just go half way by using turntables with a laptop to cheat in manipulating mp3 files...really BE REAL Djs then if that's what you claim you are and us digital Djs aren't. If they truly want to be REAL Djs and be old school why don't they all get rid of their laptops, carry around 12 crates of records most of which are duplicate copies of each twelve inch so you can use the two copies to loop the vinyl like we used to have to. Why do those "purists" not double and triple and flange and echo and backspin and cut in samples using two copies of vinyl instead of the digital effects like we used to have to do. Why don't the "purists" find sounds on other records to scratch instead of using the digital sound libraries. Why don't you do your own extended and remix versions instead of downloading some elses readily avaiable one.....and since they never pressed videos on vinyl, if you spin video using tcv YOU are REALLY cheating, you should be using VHS tapes from WaveLength (which became ETV) and RockAmerica like the rest of us had to in the 80's and 90's.....mixing on VHS tape with no pitch control....that's OLD SCHOOL!

Thanks Dj Access No 1 for bringing to light their hypocrisy!

Posted Wed 17 Sep 08 @ 6:06 am
so dj e-lectric, what is it your actualy saying? im sorry i dident quite understand,, i apologize, could perhaps simple that down a bit?

Posted Wed 17 Sep 08 @ 6:18 am
Man-TkPRO InfinityMember since 2004
for me is a simply thing ...if you think \"I\'m a dj\" you must to know how to mix 2 songs without visuals helps , without sync or beatlock features ... you can do the job with a laptop & press sync all the time & ROCK THE PARTY , of course you can do it ...but if you do this you are in another level - It\'s a shame when a dj must to reboot his system and needs to mix with cds or vinyl and he don\'t know how to beatsync !! - Sorry , I know he is a dj but I can\'t call him \"DJ\" -
No Bpm Info - Separate Waves - NO Sync - No Beatlock - Only loops shortcuts (I love them) - I mix only with my ears , not with my eyes .

Posted Wed 17 Sep 08 @ 7:42 am
56%