Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Moving VdJ

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hi all,
I recently got a new hard drive and I am going to wipe clean My old one and need to move Vdj to My new hard drive. I tried simply copying it over to the new drive yet on startup of Vdj it informs Me that the internal db is corrupt .... I moved it back and it runs fine. I am now going to reformat the old drive via boot discs, having backups of necessary programs like Vdj to reinstall on new hard drive whilst running the OS from old drive. My Q is : What files do I also need to back up from Vdj to keep comments etc?
Any other suggestions are welcome as I am not great with computers :)

thanks in advance folks,
Liam

Posted Fri 21 Jan 05 @ 7:20 pm
The best way would have been to ues Drive Image to clone your old drive to the new drive. That way the same drive letter would have been retained. But since you probably already formatted the old drive, just save VirtualDJ Database.xml (that is the important one with the BPM's).
I believe the mp3database.txt can just be re-generated by doing a hardrive scan with VDJ so no need to save that one (someone correct me if I am wrong).

Now, one thing that I always wanted to know is this: If you move your tracks to another drive with a different drive letter, will the VirtualDJ Database.xml recognize the tracks or will you have to re-analyze them all?

I wish someone would answer that one for me. Since I have corrected so many BPM's, re-analyzing them all would be a nightmare.

We need an app that will take the BPM that VDJ is using (from the VirtualDJ Database.xml) and put that in the filename, for safety purposes. That way if we have to re-alnalyze them all, at least we would have the definite correct BPM's in front of us and not have to figure them out all over again.

Killabee44

Posted Fri 21 Jan 05 @ 8:53 pm
SAVE ALL THE IMPORTANT FILES.

FORMAT NEW DRIVE!

RE-INSTALL AL YOUR PROGRAMS.

If you are installing Win XP, use Service Pack 1. If you like the results, DON'T upgrade to SP2. Just an idea.

DJ JOSE

Posted Sat 22 Jan 05 @ 3:27 pm
Yep, I have heard MANY people that have had problems with different programs after installing SP2. I recomend you only install the security updates (with windows update) as well as the latest version of direct x and explorer.

Posted Sat 22 Jan 05 @ 4:05 pm
If you move or copy tracks that were buffered to another drive vdj will read it no matter what letter is used.Ex ..i moved songs that i dont use all the time to an external hdd drive f and when i do need them they are still analysed in vdj so.........Answer YES
Andre

Posted Sat 22 Jan 05 @ 4:46 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)