Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Has the DEV team come up with any concrete suggestions for the video freezing problem?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Myself and MANY others have written about the video freezing problems many times, since this recent upgrade has no mention of addressing this issue I was just wondering if any work is being done at VDJ to solve it rather than the stat response of "hardware conflict"?

I have a AMD Ahtlon 64 4200+ Dual Core, 3 gigs pc 5300 ram and an NVidia 9600Gt with 512mgs DDR3 ram on board dedicated and on some videos when loading and when looping I get freezes and have mentioned this several times but nobody seems to have an answer (I got lots of opinions and some helpful hints on windows tweeks, etc.....but alas nothing helped so I assumed it was my computer.......

....soooooooooo.........!

I just bought a new one that by all the specs should be SMOKING FAST, the motherboard is an ASUS P5GC - Mx1333 with 1333mhz bus speed, 4 gigs PC5300 ram, Intel Core 2 Duo 2.30ghz, Maxtor SATA-II 300 7200rpm hard drives (1-500 gig and 1-1tb), Galaxytech NVIDIA 8600 GT with 256meg ddr3 dedicated ram (the fastest low profile card I could find), windows xp with all the updates and service packs, very latest directx 9.0c august 30th release, the very latest bios, and all other drivers (as of what was available Sept 1st) and they are STILL freezing on some videos.

It does not matter whether I use mp4, divx or mpeg it happens on all formats (but not all videos). There are certain videos it will ALWAYS happen on but most other times it is random (much more frequently when using the loop than when loading new videos).

From reading the boards there seems to be a lot of problems people are having with this so I am wondering that maybe it really is a VDJ thing and not a hardware related thing (as I have posted before I know people with what are by today's standards crap machines that the video works flawlessly on...but yet someone with the exact same crap machine will have problems.

Is anybody on the dev team seriously looking into this or are we all expected to just live with it and keep saying it's a harware thing and keep wasting money on state of the art harware that doesn't help?

Thankfully mine is only minor for a second or two so it is more annoying to me and I really don't think the customers notice much, but it would be nice to have it fixed once and for all.

On the bright side I have had the new computer running automix in one player, doing a 32 beat loop with one of my problem videos running in the second player, running text 2d with 2 messages scrolling and one flashing and I have the show logo transparency in the background and it has been running this for 8 straight hours now with no crashes (just that annoying little freeze every 32 beats of the loop). Another bright spot is my Vegas rendering is about 20% faster now so that alone makes the new computer worth it.

Posted Fri 05 Sep 08 @ 8:07 am
djcelPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
Is it only with a loop of 32 beats or more? (the samples length depends on the BPM of the song so try to test with videos with same BPM)
Do you have the same freeze with a 16 beats loop?

Posted Fri 05 Sep 08 @ 8:38 am
no, it doesn't matter the loop length. the only somewhat consistant factor seems to be if the initial cue point is set into the song a number of seconds (example is the songs that have long stupid meaningless intros...like Christina Aguilera's Dirrty where there is about 30 seconds of unusable crap at the beginning. This is an mp4 file, but it also does it everytime on 2 Pacs Amerikas Most Wanted with the stupid little gangster mini movie scene at the beginning and this is an mpeg2 rip); however, it does happen sometimes where the song/loop starts right at the very begining (my usher yeah does that sometimes, but it doesn't ever do it when I loop it somewhere in the middle of the song like if I loop where ludacris says "freak in the bed" in his rap. Like I said the songs that do it usually always do it, but about 50% of the time it seems totally random i.e. it may do it on Michael Grey this time I play it with a loop at the beggining but not next time I play that song using the same loop).

Posted Fri 05 Sep 08 @ 2:46 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)