Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Plugins

Topic: SBDJ ScrollText - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
Afternoon all,

Been busy today ;)

I've been making some changes to a plugin I haven't published yet, but is just about ready. One small bug I know of to squash, involving ordering in the list. It's a scrolling text plugin - you add messages, they appear one after the other on the screen, scrolling across with whatever properties you set.

Full Size

As you can see from the screenshot, it's a bit cramped on the UI front (to fit the default VDJ skin and resolution size of 1024x768) but I've tried to make it as easy as possible.

I'm probably going to add the ability to move messages up and down at some point, but that can wait for now. Any suggestions for additions?

My major problem is that I want to put some more controls on for even more flexibility, but am stuggling for space. Might have to implement a tabbed view in the config window - would that be OK do you think?

Regards,

Scott

Posted Thu 03 Jul 08 @ 11:12 am
In fact, I'm going down the tab route, made a start on that already now ;)

Posted Thu 03 Jul 08 @ 11:29 am
Tabbd view very much a good idea, even though you already started it. my suggestion would also be the option of adding a logo, as ive heard someone ask here before i think, and my personal one would be to add a delay between lines, so the screen is not "Allways" showing a message. People here have gotten annoyied at the constant advertising on our screens.

Also happy to test this if you dare.. =)

(Have you seen my other plugin idea!?)

K

Posted Thu 03 Jul 08 @ 12:33 pm
Hi Scott,

Can't wait to try it out...

Does you new text plugin scroll text forward and reverse? I use the other text plugin at my club gigs but when all the phrases are going in the same direction it tends to get boring to look at. It would be awesome if the text can also go from top to bottom and vise versa as you mentioned. Will you be able to one day have an image or 2 scroll next to the text? Or another possibility to be able to change the font and size of different words in the text?

Funkmasterfrank

Posted Thu 03 Jul 08 @ 12:37 pm
taylaPRO InfinityMember since 2007
you have been busy today scott, please consider me if any places left for testing this also...

Posted Thu 03 Jul 08 @ 1:35 pm
jimmy bPRO InfinityMember since 2007
This is such a brilliant idea for a plugin. Just what we need.

Posted Thu 03 Jul 08 @ 1:46 pm
OK; so just to get this straight then... features to be added for initial release:

* Tabbed view (already under way)
* Choice of direction, or random direction mode (direction changes randomly after each message)
* Adjustable delay between messages
* Random message selection

Future features:

* Support image files as well as text
* Rich Text support (allowing complete message formatting, different sizes, colours, weights etc...)
* Integrate my SMS library ;)

Any more for any more?

I've been using this plugin in it's basic form for quite some time now, it's definately very handy!

Regards,

Scott

Posted Thu 03 Jul 08 @ 8:23 pm
when you say include graphics, would it be possible to add animated graphics or even integrate them into the text, for example use an animated pacman that scrolls with text, OR a stage up, have text appear and a pacman move across it, eating the text as it moves along, a bit like the better led scrollers you see in some shops now. The ability to add your own animations to it has endless possibilities.

Posted Fri 04 Jul 08 @ 3:26 am
Yup look good Scott.
Annimated icons would be nice but I don't know if they could be justified with the extra coding required, back to scott on that depending on how easy it would be.

I do however agrre that a showlogo plugin with Gif support would be a great idea/

Posted Fri 04 Jul 08 @ 3:32 am
TopHouse wrote :
when you say include graphics, would it be possible to add animated graphics or even integrate them into the text, for example use an animated pacman that scrolls with text, OR a stage up, have text appear and a pacman move across it, eating the text as it moves along, a bit like the better led scrollers you see in some shops now. The ability to add your own animations to it has endless possibilities.

Interesting... they are certainly possibilities...

Posted Fri 04 Jul 08 @ 3:48 am
OK, got a bit of work done on this today, with some of the suggestions implemented. Got a few more features to add yet :)

Full Screenshot

Features now implemented and working:

* Tabbed view
* Choice of direction, or random direction mode (direction changes randomly after each message)
* Adjustable delay between messages

To add:

* Random Message Mode
* Random Colour Mode

Regards,

Scott

Posted Fri 04 Jul 08 @ 8:48 am
taylaPRO InfinityMember since 2007
this is gonna be fantastic when its completed, now all i need to do is hire someone to put the toons on for me while i play with this...

Posted Fri 04 Jul 08 @ 9:25 am
jimmy bPRO InfinityMember since 2007

Lovin this Scott.

Posted Fri 04 Jul 08 @ 9:48 am
Scott,

This is looking pretty awesome just now, sorry I've joined in so late.

Is it possible that we could have colour pickers rather than having to adjust RGB values?

As people were saying about logos, this would be a good option if you could make it possible to place it anywhere on the screen with trasparency but would be nice if you could make it an extension of the background bar, maybe even background image so you could make it come up like an MTV block. (For future the possibility for that to transition in before the text starts scrolling and then transition out).

Above would be really handy if your going to do what I think you hinted at above. Did I see you mention SMS?? :)

On that note, what about adding smilies (user configurable) which can be inline with messages.

What if you could build another small app to feed the text to the plugin. It could sort of work like a small email/sms client and give an option for DJ to respond to each message.
I know this is asking alot, but worth putting the idea out there.

If this is possible, maybe the option to have a subline of text that would show the sms number or email address continuously.

Got a bit carried away there, sorry.

Ross

Posted Fri 04 Jul 08 @ 1:17 pm
Great to see the outline feature added, Ive been asking for this for ages, and is standard for TV stations, as white text vanishes over a white image, but one with an outline does not.

In looking at the screenshot am wondering if the background dissapears, while there is no text displayed, ie while delay is active, perhaps even use your fade code to fade it in, run the message, then fade back out untill moments before the next message needs it.
Also would be helpful if delay goes as far as say 10 min, as I would proberly set it at around 5 min, yet some may like a delay of 30 seconds.

Keep up the good work

Kym

Posted Sat 05 Jul 08 @ 4:25 am
DJ Ross M wrote :
Is it possible that we could have colour pickers rather than having to adjust RGB values?

Implemented :)

DJ Ross M wrote :
As people were saying about logos, this would be a good option if you could make it possible to place it anywhere on the screen with trasparency but would be nice if you could make it an extension of the background bar, maybe even background image so you could make it come up like an MTV block. (For future the possibility for that to transition in before the text starts scrolling and then transition out).

DJ Ross M wrote :
On that note, what about adding smilies (user configurable) which can be inline with messages.

Certainly possible. I'm going to get all the text stuff sorted and everyone happy with that before I move onto stage 2 with images though ;)

halo_djk wrote :
In looking at the screenshot am wondering if the background dissapears, while there is no text displayed, ie while delay is active, perhaps even use your fade code to fade it in, run the message, then fade back out untill moments before the next message needs it.
Also would be helpful if delay goes as far as say 10 min, as I would proberly set it at around 5 min, yet some may like a delay of 30 seconds.

Background disappears when no text is being displayed. It doesn't fade however, it sort of slides/grows if you know what I mean. Mainly because I cheated with how I drew the box (or in this case didn't draw the box). Delay is currently selectable from 0 to 600 seconds.

Regards,

Scott

Posted Sat 05 Jul 08 @ 4:31 am
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
outstanding!

Would you be able to port this to mac because if you did the mac users would worship you for ever as there is no text plugin at all in the mac version let alone one of this caliber!

Posted Sat 05 Jul 08 @ 5:16 am
I can certainly give it a whirl at some point, a bit tougher than when I ported the Xponent mapper because this will basically be a complete rewrite with OpenGL instead of DirectX...

Posted Sat 05 Jul 08 @ 6:17 am
SBDJ wrote :

Background disappears when no text is being displayed. It doesn't fade however, it sort of slides/grows if you know what I mean. Mainly because I cheated with how I drew the box (or in this case didn't draw the box). Delay is currently selectable from 0 to 600 seconds.

Regards,

Scott

Sounds good to me, any type off effect would be good, just figured if it appeared, and dissappeared it would sorta look a bit cheap, sliding/growing sounds even better than fades to me!

K

Posted Mon 07 Jul 08 @ 9:54 pm
Plugin sounds totally awesome, really looking forward to this one.

I'm having thoughts on a Karaoke graphic plugin that would be cool if you're interested in as a future project.
I reckon you could adapt this to work with it.

Ross.

Posted Tue 08 Jul 08 @ 5:05 pm
3%