Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: disable the BPM calculation

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

benbirPRO (legacy)Member since 2008
Hello,

I'm evaluating VDJ at the moment and have two reservations to purchasing the software.

One of them is the BPM engine and not being able to turn it off or allowing the MP3 ID Tag to take precendence.

Most of my music is Swing, which the engine doesn't seem to be able to calculate. I've tried using the manual set, and setting anchor points but Virtual DJ doesn't seem to like music with greater than 200 BPM. Being swing, about a quarter of my collection is between 200 and 320 BPM.

I found another topic on this subject but it had been closed, so I'd to re-open the issue, if I may.

http://www.virtualdj.com/forums/82715/General_Discussion/Disable_automatic_BPM_calcultation.html?highlight=disable%20bpm%20scan

Regards,

Ben

Posted Thu 05 Jun 08 @ 1:24 pm
I'm embarrassed a little, I see it's being addressed for 5.1.

-Ben

Posted Thu 05 Jun 08 @ 1:28 pm

You can right click the song >> choose "File Info", and choose the tag BPM instead..

Reason VDJ needs its own BPM, is for several features of VDJ, where VDJ needs to know the songs phase, beats, volume and lots more.
A lot of features depends on this, such as loop, effects and so on...
Its not meant to be annoying, although I can see why it might be felt that way, if you play an odd genre that VDJ isnt doing well at getting right BPMs for.

But you can always force back the tag BPM, by the way as said in first sentence.. :)

Hope that helps

Posted Thu 05 Jun 08 @ 1:30 pm
Hello all, I've been asked to merge a topic:http://www.virtualdj.com/forums/91114/General_Discussion/Saving_MP3_tags.html
into this one:

---------8-<----------------------8-<----------------------8-<----------------------8-<----------------------8-<-------------
Hello,

I'm currently evaluating VDJ and after setting a whole bunch of comments in my MP3s and smart folders to display them (for e.g., "comment contains soul and comment comment contains blues") I simulated a corruption of reinstall (by removing the database.xml file) and lost of my hard work.

I seems that the comments information isn't actually written back to the MP3 files. Have I done something wrong? I then checked the MP3 files with iTunes and with Zortam and sure enough, the comments didn't exists in either the v1 or v2 tags.

I'm concerned if I buy VDJ, I'll still need a second peice of software to manage my music.

Regards,

Ben
dj-in-norway

Team
Posted Thu 05 Jun 08 @ 19:36:22

VDJ dont write tags, it leaves the tags unchanged.
Instead VDJ saves all its info in the XML database, and your old comments are in the XML database you removed ;)

Hope that helps
---------8-<----------------------8-<----------------------8-<----------------------8-<----------------------8-<-------------

In reply, not really - I already figured that out! I'll be sure to either back up my XML on a regular basis or modify the tags with a different program (iTunes or Zortam) and then rescan into VDJ.

It's a shame that VDJ doesn't give the option to save back tags, en mass.

Posted Thu 05 Jun 08 @ 4:59 pm

Yeah, agree that it would be a nice feature to write tags from VDJ too...

Currently the philosopy is that VDJ will stay "unharmed" from users playing songs in other apps (Such as Media Player or others) that will change tags, yet it can read tags if the users want.. .

But write tags could be a nice new feature :)

Posted Thu 05 Jun 08 @ 5:12 pm
Ok,

Thanks everyone.

So, looks like I still need iTunes, or some other software, preview or at least manage my music and tags. After that, I can refresh the VDJ collection to pick up the new tags into automated folders

-Ben

Posted Thu 05 Jun 08 @ 5:54 pm
jimmy bPRO InfinityMember since 2007
benbir wrote :
Ok,

Thanks everyone.

So, looks like I still need iTunes, or some other software, preview or at least manage my music and tags. After that, I can refresh the VDJ collection to pick up the new tags into automated folders

-Ben

Take a look at Mixmeister, there is a free Demo, It's tagging systems is great, I may be wrong but I think that writes the BPM and Key into the tag's.

Posted Thu 05 Jun 08 @ 6:00 pm
taylaPRO InfinityMember since 2007
correct, don't leave home without it

Posted Thu 05 Jun 08 @ 6:19 pm
jimmy bPRO InfinityMember since 2007
tayla wrote :

Thank you my friend.

Posted Thu 05 Jun 08 @ 6:50 pm
I think the day VDJ will write tags or at least read & obey(lol) the tags, there'll be nothing else for people to complain about besides the usual occasional bugs. So many people have requested this feature. It would be very useful. There should be n option in set up where a user can choose whether or not they want VDJ to use it's own tags.

Posted Thu 05 Jun 08 @ 11:16 pm
Yes - but I think the writing back of MP3 tag information should be a manual process (right-click on the track or multiple tracks) so that if BPM information has been incorrectly calculated on scan, one can restore that first - then write back the tag information :)

Posted Fri 06 Jun 08 @ 4:58 am
Just one more question about BPM. I used the manual BPM and anchor thingy but it doesn't seem to believe tracks can go over 200. My fastest track is Cotton Tail by Duke Ellington, which is about 320 BPM at 8 beats per bar. about a 1/4 of my track are above 200.. I also have the same track at 255 BPM :)

Posted Fri 06 Jun 08 @ 5:21 am
Perhaps Virtual Dj isnt for me then. I don't need to scratch or beat mix. I'm simply after software that has the music management of iTunes (VDJ is mostly there - best on the market, so good even NuMark and PCDJ have skinned it), something to allow internal or external mixing through a second ASIO sound card (or in case of emergencies split left and right) and play history.

If I have to go down the track of MixMeister and VDJ, perhaps I should look into Mixxx and iTunes??

Anyways, thanks everyone for your help.

Quote :
Posted Fri 06 Jun 08 @ 01:50:55
tayla wrote :

[quote]Thank you my friend.
[/quote]

Posted Fri 06 Jun 08 @ 5:30 am
If you arent gonna mix, you might as well check other music collection tools.. Although VDJ does a good job as such too...
VDJ isnt really a die hard music management system, but is more a DJ software with a good management system.

For die hard Music collection management, check out software such as the free Media Monkey ( http://www.mediamonkey.com ), iTunes and similar...

Mixmeister would really do you much good, its kinda like an automix dj software, and have weak collection management.

Posted Fri 06 Jun 08 @ 10:09 am
Thanks for your help everyone.

In the end, here is my solution:
Use iTunes to manage my my collection by adding keywords to the comments field and adding BPM information. I then add smart filters to VDJ to organise my music (in case of database corruption, I only need to recreate the filters).

Periodically, I'll perform a bulk "reload tag" function to reload the correct BPM information to scanned tunes.

Works very well!

Posted Mon 09 Jun 08 @ 6:26 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)