Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Disable automatic BPM calcultation

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hey,

I'm using a external BPM program that writes the BPM value directly into the file.
But every time I load the file into VDJ, VDJ recalculates them and changes the BPM value.
And especialy for disco VDJ is sometimes wrong.
Can I disable this feature or does anybody has a hint how to get correct BPM values for disco?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Kurt.

PS Merry X-mas and new-year

Posted Mon 24 Dec 07 @ 8:06 pm
xgl_djPRO InfinityMember since 2004
It cannot be turned off... It is something you just have to live with.
You are not alone.. a few people have asked to disable this feature for a few years now...but we still wait......

Posted Mon 24 Dec 07 @ 8:19 pm

its impossible... kinda..

Because VDJ needs to read the phase/beat/levels etc to make out the song, and to make all features work.

But a new system is comming, that makes BPM a lot better, even if you have data from other sources

Posted Mon 24 Dec 07 @ 8:21 pm

A tip for disco (live recorded), where beats arent 100% perfect...

1) Manual tap the beats

2) Set anchors. At first and 4th or 8th beat, and VDJ will calculate it right

Posted Mon 24 Dec 07 @ 8:22 pm
I have noticed this also trying to match the blocks scrolling across the top of the page sometimes n thinking thats not right so I have gone back to the old skool way n put the laptop lid down and mixed it by ear and then lifted the lid to see were the blocks were and they have been way off but the musics gas been in.

Posted Mon 24 Dec 07 @ 8:56 pm
SupaconPRO InfinityMember since 2005
I'm glad to hear that this is being updated. Probably more than 80% of the time VDJ gets the BPMs spot on, and you can mix things no problems... but it seems that the newer versions are worse in some respects than previous ones. Many songs seem really obvious to me... like 4/4 128 BPM dance songs and they aren't getting calculated correctly by VDJ. Sometimes I just have to manually enter in the BPM, but that's never perfectly accurate, so I have to manually adjust things all the time as if I were using vinyl or a cd player or whatever.

I have another program (MixedInKey) that seems to be a little more accurate for BPM calculation most of the time - I have to scan everything for key with this software anyways.

OT, but that would be super cool if VDJ had mixedinkey built right in so it could calculate the key of songs and show you right in the browser that the key was... or at least support this amazing software in some capacity.... or rip it off, whatever :)

Posted Tue 25 Dec 07 @ 1:43 pm

VDJ already support keys, from Mixmeister, probably mixed-in-key too ;) Reload your tags, for the songs analyzed...

I have keys for all songs in VDJ ;)

And yes, things are worked on regarding BPM and more, so hang on ;) good things to come

Posted Tue 25 Dec 07 @ 2:29 pm
chansinPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Do you know if the new version will allow for the BPM in the tag to be set back to the tag setting after a scan. Just to clarify, after you scan a track the BPM from VDJ is in the BPM, reloading the tag will not replace the BPM field but it will all the other fields. You currently have to go to file info and use the tag info for each song to get the BPM from the ID3 tag.

Posted Tue 25 Dec 07 @ 9:06 pm
maybe.. its currently being worked on, for a new system.

The final way is not clear yet, but there will be changes :)

Posted Wed 26 Dec 07 @ 9:41 am
Crossing fingers.

Posted Wed 26 Dec 07 @ 10:25 am
For years I being hearing the same thing - and for years on each upgrade, vdj STILL changes my CORRECT bpm's(mainly Reggea & Soca tunes) to its own INCORRECT values. I should NOT have to manual tap or any of that kinda stuff if I already have the correct values in the tags. It is NOT impossible to disable this feature programming wise or for the programmers to make it work as requested..... its just not a big enough complaint on the forums so it goes ignored...

Posted Wed 26 Dec 07 @ 12:26 pm
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Luckily VDJ has a very good BPM engine, and it's generally correct.

But as said, their is a solution in the works for when it is not.

Posted Wed 26 Dec 07 @ 12:33 pm
I guess you normally dont play reggea and soca - else you wont be saying the BPM engine works good..

Posted Wed 26 Dec 07 @ 12:40 pm
xgl_dj wrote :
its just not a big enough complaint on the forums so it goes ignored...

I think it's very big. We should have a poll and see. I bet the only people who do not see the use of this feature are users who've been using VDJ since it was born(not literally) but people who've been using it for long time. For people who are making a transition from another software, this is definetely a problem.

Posted Wed 26 Dec 07 @ 1:46 pm

Dont have to ask.. its BIG ;)

And reason why its on TOP of list for 5.1

Posted Wed 26 Dec 07 @ 2:21 pm
KregCZPRO InfinityMember since 2005
kugo1968,
What program are you using to count the BPMs?

Posted Wed 26 Dec 07 @ 3:32 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)