Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: XP or Vista

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

SC300PRO InfinityMember since 2008
so what is better XP or Vista...i have herd vista sucks...but i wonder if xp is better now maybe vista will be better than with VDJ 5.1...so if i plan on buying a new computer will it be XP or Vista? What are Pros and Cons of both?

Posted Fri 30 May 08 @ 12:46 pm
I love Vista.. I have 2 PCs and 1 Laptop with it.

Posted Fri 30 May 08 @ 12:56 pm
I too love Vista

Posted Fri 30 May 08 @ 5:00 pm
If your planning on doing video I would suggest getting Vista.

Posted Fri 30 May 08 @ 5:16 pm
vista sucks - especially resources!
i am definitly NOT a vista fan, and neither are our dj's down the road at our sportsbar. they are constantly begging the owner to buy a copy of XP to put on the system down there, but he told them to cough up the money if they want it so bad. last i heard they were car pooling to save up the money for it.
every time i have had to go there and add music, run updates, or just check on things there with VDJ, i get so utterly frustrated with that computer that i have wanted to "accidently" pour a drink into it. the system specs there arent the problem: 2g+ dual core, 2g ram, video card, sound card, etc. all of which work fine, it's just that vista is a royal pain in the ass to work with.

maybe its just us, but i have yet to find anyone using a computer with visa on it, other than a few nameless vdj peoples, who actually like to use vista.
it's' gonna suck when they stop selling and then stop supporting XP.

Posted Sat 31 May 08 @ 7:17 am
DJ-ALFPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2005
You are not totally right, it is more hungry for hardware resources, but if you want to use 2 or 4 core CPU and more than 3Gb ram, Vista is the way to go. You can disable various things, I will try to post later list what is not needed for VDJ use.

Posted Sat 31 May 08 @ 7:52 am
have already disabled what i could get away with without causing problems. and yes i was VERY careful what i disabled. i would love some solutions, but can't really get my hopes up with vista. even our manager (who was an IT before bartending then managing) hates vista.

Posted Sat 31 May 08 @ 8:02 am
Your problem can be a bad driver only, that is not something you should hate Vista ;)
Everything can be resolved, but it takes time.

Posted Sat 31 May 08 @ 8:52 am

Posted Sat 31 May 08 @ 3:15 pm
wildcountryclub wrote :
i have even gone so far as to run a system restore on that computer

Your problem right there ;)
Turn off System Restore to gain up to 25% on hdd performance. Never use System Restore!

Posted Sat 31 May 08 @ 8:08 pm
Alright if you herd vista sucks it's because the TV is spammed with MAC trash talking vista.

too break it down VISTA had major headaches in it's early stages witch also didn't help it's reputation but right now with SP1 it's as solid as you can get. I remember when xp came out my buddys told me to stick with 2000 because of all of XP's problemsnow is a good time to learn and get vista

Posted Sun 01 Jun 08 @ 12:29 am
I bought $2000 Fujitsu laptop with Vista installed. I installed XP as a second operating system and everything is working much faster in XP. VDJ is also has less problems in XP.

Posted Mon 02 Jun 08 @ 4:33 am
DJ-ALF wrote :
wildcountryclub wrote :
i have even gone so far as to run a system restore on that computer

Your problem right there ;)
Turn off System Restore to gain up to 25% on hdd performance. Never use System Restore!

miss-spoke myself on that one - destructive system restore. started from scratch, took off everything bundled what wasnt needed ran all the updates all over again, and went from there. performance was only marginally better. gotta go in this afternoon again to see whats up with it in the last week, so will see what it wants to tell me is wrong again.

Posted Mon 02 Jun 08 @ 10:37 am
This is a fact... When it comes to dj ying with MP3s only. XP is better than Vista. XP has lower latecity than Vista and is more stable. Many in this website may disaggree but companies like serato, M audio, Rockit dj pro and many more recomend XP over Vista

Posted Mon 02 Jun 08 @ 2:28 pm
SC300PRO InfinityMember since 2008
Can someone put the XP and VISTA cons and pros when used with virtual DJ. For example latecity is lower in XP.

Posted Sat 07 Jun 08 @ 8:01 pm
vista home are the one with all the problem vista Ultimate is very good,if you got a laptop that came with vista home you are batter of with xp

Posted Sun 08 Jun 08 @ 9:16 am
spool32PRO InfinityMember since 2007
I've been using Vista Ultimate for a year with VDJ. The version that was out last June had a couple of issues, but since whatever release came out in July, its been solid as a rock for me.

I prefer vista over xp because vista has an excellent file indexer that lets you locate vid or music files in a snap.

Also no CPU problems, but i also tend to remove all TSR (terminate stay resident) and startup programs that most people keep running.

Posted Mon 09 Jun 08 @ 3:37 am
taylaPRO InfinityMember since 2007
i've been running two lappys for over two years now with vista already installed on them and i think they are the home versions and have had none of the above issues with home edition, mixing audio and video, and adding pluggins cube, rotation, shaker square and even text2d have not caused me any problems, maybe i'm just one of the lucky ones, mind you they are soley used for gigging and never go anywhere near the net, also remember to disable or take out norton anti virus and replace with something a little less resource hungry this was a little tip left on the forums if you do decide to go the vista route.

Posted Mon 09 Jun 08 @ 3:54 am
Paz75PRO InfinityMember since 2006
ived been on vista for some time now also. have to say that the graphics are a bit sluggish for when the waveform view moves across the main view of vdj. but that hasnt impacted performance at all. i think if you have a fast enough machine, vista is not going to hurt at all. but if you had to employ performance saving techniques on an xp machine to squeeze that extra little bit of juice out for vdj, then probaly resource hungry vista is just going to piss you off. it is much more of a beast for stealing cpu for stupid stuff like fancy rounded edges. you can of course disable that stuff, but it seem like vista is just more heavier in code for everything.

have to say that im not that impressed with vista, but from the point of view for my work, i much prefer vista over xp because of how i can organize my folders now. having to get all over machines and networks every minute of every day, it does help me a bit more to rearrange my left-pane folder view and create preferences there.

as for vdj, vista is fine for me but i have noticed its a bit more sluggish than xp was

Posted Mon 09 Jun 08 @ 9:59 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)