Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Need External Drive Copy Protection.... - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

I have a situation where I will be needing another Dj to fill in for me from time to time and he will need to use my hard drive full of videos for the nights performance (he has not gotten into video yet so he has none of his own). He will be pluggin this external drive into HIS computer. How do I lock the files on MY external drive so he can play them through virtual DJ (Numark Cue Actually) on his laptop but not be able to copy them...obviously the endpoint usb software and windows folder security settings won't work as I can't do anything with his computer...I need a way the drive can be read by Numark Cue (Virtual Dj), but not copied...is that possible?

Posted Fri 18 Apr 08 @ 9:30 pm
I don't think that is possible.

In the days of good ole PCDJ RED 5.3... you could just have the software launch in shell mode and password protect the config menu. That I have suggested about two years ago but doesn't seem high on the list for added features.

The only thing I do is encrypt my hard drives but in order to mount them on a computer you have to actually type in a password. With your situation it doesn't seem practical.

That is a tough one.

Posted Sat 19 Apr 08 @ 7:06 am
the problem is he will be using his laptop and program install so I would not be able to control whether he opened in shell mode or regular mode and if the files were encrypted once he entered the password to use them he could then copy them them...I need to have the drive itself protected from copying, but still be able to be read by the program. i have emailed support to several file protection software companies but the responses I have gotten are a big "we don't provide that protection" or I have yet to hear back from them.

Posted Sat 19 Apr 08 @ 6:16 pm
In my opinion, don't let him use your files. We all know what a pain it is buying, ripping, editing and then configuring VDJ to be just how you want it. Why should this other guy benefit from your hard work. If there's a contrast between his show and yours because he hasn't put in all that extra effort and expense then that's to your benefit. If the club owner wants video whoever goes in there, then let them make the investment and not expect you to give away something that you've worked hard to compile.

Posted Sun 20 Apr 08 @ 8:00 am
there *are* usb hard drives that have an attached DONGLE. if the dongle is not present the HDD is useless
not sure if that is of any help

Posted Sun 20 Apr 08 @ 8:43 am
john london wrote :
In my opinion, don't let him use your files. We all know what a pain it is buying, ripping, editing and then configuring VDJ to be just how you want it. Why should this other guy benefit from your hard work. If there's a contrast between his show and yours because he hasn't put in all that extra effort and expense then that's to your benefit. If the club owner wants video whoever goes in there, then let them make the investment and not expect you to give away something that you've worked hard to compile.

In theory I feel the same about bar owners as you; however, this will be an occassional occurance and believe it or not this club takes very good care of me and I was hired partially because I do video and I don't want to let them down or the customers down who come in week in and week out and expect to see a video show......the club owner doesn't want "whoever goes in there" they want me, or the next best thing someone trained by and working with me so they know the programming and such will be similar and tolerable on a fill in basis.

That is the whole purpose of the security so I am NOT giving away all my time and effort, but maximizing it by letting someone fill in occassionally so I can keep this account when I need to do special shows once a month or so out of town.

Posted Sun 20 Apr 08 @ 2:14 pm
WirelessDJ wrote :
there *are* usb hard drives that have an attached DONGLE. if the dongle is not present the HDD is useless
not sure if that is of any help

Problem is they would need the dongle to make the drive accessible to do the show and then they could potentially copy the drive while in their possession

Posted Sun 20 Apr 08 @ 2:15 pm
an easy way I have found to prevent people form copying my MP3's on the network is to hide the Mp3 folder. They are unable to see any of the files or folders.. and if you can't see them, you can't copy them. You can however still read them! I use a program called 'Hide Folder 2.7' and hides folders even when 'show hidden files' is turned on.

there's always a way around security

Posted Sun 20 Apr 08 @ 3:08 pm

This may be painful but I would do the following if I really wanted to stay in good with the boss:

1. Install the most played videos from your Ext HD into your laptop's Hard Drive.
2. Activate Secure Endpoint
3. Let him use your laptop with the music videos.
4. Let him take his computer and hook up both computers to the mixer and let him switch back and forth.

5. Immediately start looking for a way to ensure this is not a long term situation.

Posted Sun 20 Apr 08 @ 11:02 pm
Diamond G wrote :

This may be painful but I would do the following if I really wanted to stay in good with the boss:

1. Install the most played videos from your Ext HD into your laptop's Hard Drive.
2. Activate Secure Endpoint
3. Let him use your laptop with the music videos.
4. Let him take his computer and hook up both computers to the mixer and let him switch back and forth.

5. Immediately start looking for a way to ensure this is not a long term situation.

Good suggestion except I don't have a laptop for him to use as I will be using mine....it won't be long term as he is beginning to build up his library, but we all know how expensive that is and how slow it goes at first.

Posted Sun 20 Apr 08 @ 11:22 pm
WirelessDJ wrote :
an easy way I have found to prevent people form copying my MP3's on the network is to hide the Mp3 folder. They are unable to see any of the files or folders.. and if you can't see them, you can't copy them. You can however still read them! I use a program called 'Hide Folder 2.7' and hides folders even when 'show hidden files' is turned on.

there's always a way around security

This won't work because, again, he will be using HIS computer and so I need a way to install the security ON THE EXTERNAL DRIVE! Even if the program was installed on his computer he could delete or disable it and then see the files....or just copy the whole drive over with the hidden files and all.

Posted Sun 20 Apr 08 @ 11:25 pm
Found a Program called FOLDER LOCK and when emailed with my problem this is what they replied with.....

This feature will be available in the next major update version of
Folder Lock (Version 6) which will be out by November, 2008, this version
will have many other features and should interest you, it will even be
able to protect CDs/DVDs in runtime for all computers with kernel level
locking as well as virtual drive encryption of CDs and DVDs with
write/read access features on seperate files and folders.

Please let me know if there is anything I can do for you.

Have a Great Day!

Michelle Rossevelt
The NewSoftwares.net Team,
http://www.newsoftwares.net
Email: michelle@newsoftwares.net

.......doesn't help me right now but something to file away for future reference!

Posted Mon 21 Apr 08 @ 1:31 pm
DJ CurtPRO InfinityMember since 2006
dj-e-lectric wrote :
I have a situation where I will be needing another Dj to fill in for me from time to time and he will need to use my hard drive full of videos for the nights performance (he has not gotten into video yet so he has none of his own). He will be pluggin this external drive into HIS computer. How do I lock the files on MY external drive so he can play them through virtual DJ (Numark Cue Actually) on his laptop but not be able to copy them...obviously the endpoint usb software and windows folder security settings won't work as I can't do anything with his computer...I need a way the drive can be read by Numark Cue (Virtual Dj), but not copied...is that possible?

I am in the same situation, and wondered if you found anything that works? I tried calling the company listed above about their encryption software (due out in November 2008?), but there was no answer and their voice mail box was full and not accepting any more messages. Not good. I didn't want to let this thread die. If anyone has new information, please let me know. Thanks!

Curt

Posted Tue 14 Oct 08 @ 2:07 pm
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
Basically if you can play the files, you can copy them. There is no real way of preventing this I'm afraid.

Posted Tue 14 Oct 08 @ 2:36 pm
what i still don't understand is why. You have someone you trained working that night in your place. So what is wrong with him using your files if you choose and trained the guy to be your clone. There are night I cannot perform at the club I am at and it is the club owners job to get some one to fill in not mine. I actually don't want an imatation of me cause I would like the crowd and club owner to see what it is i bring to the club. If he is a dj he should have his own stuff and if not... hire a dj that does

Posted Tue 14 Oct 08 @ 3:15 pm
sirkitbreaker wrote :
what i still don't understand is why. You have someone you trained working that night in your place. So what is wrong with him using your files if you choose and trained the guy to be your clone. There are night I cannot perform at the club I am at and it is the club owners job to get some one to fill in not mine. I actually don't want an imatation of me cause I would like the crowd and club owner to see what it is i bring to the club. If he is a dj he should have his own stuff and if not... hire a dj that does

I don't mind them using the files...I just don't want them to COPY the files and now have a copy of my library for their own use or worse yet ANOTHER CLUB'S use.

Just because I trained them doesn't mean they are a clone (Albert Puljos can teach me to hit a baseball but that doesn't mean I will be as good).

If I have a contract with a club to perform and I can't then it IS my responsibility to find someone AND someone at least close to my talent level because that is what they contracted for.

Excellent Dj's are hard to find (hell even just "good" djs are hard to find these days) so it is not that easy to just "...hire a dj that does" and keep the quality the patons have come to expect and deserve.

Posted Wed 15 Oct 08 @ 5:10 am
Folder Lock is pretty useless software and only hides folders properly from Windows XP and below (unless you use encryption which will not be useful for this scenario). The folders are not hidden to Linux and it doesn't take more than a few seconds to view them using Vista either. (That's my experience with v5, have not tried v6). Kernel level locking will not help you because you won't have access to the other DJ's laptop.

As SBDJ has mentioned, if you can play the file, you can copy it. The exception to this is if Virtual DJ used a non propriety based DRM and you were to protect all of your files, but this will probably never happen.

Posted Wed 15 Oct 08 @ 9:30 am
Your best solution may have to come to creating a written agreement that the guest DJ has to sign if they use your files. Put in a monetary clause that if the violate the agreement they will have to pay X amount.

Another solution may be since you have a good relationship with the club owner and I don't think he would want your files getting out to other clubs. Have him hold on to your Hard Drive and hand it out to the guest DJ when he shows up and turn it back to the Club owner after his set.

Posted Wed 15 Oct 08 @ 10:14 am
dj-e-lectric wrote :

I don't mind them using the files...I just don't want them to COPY the files and now have a copy of my library for their own use or worse yet ANOTHER CLUB'S use.

Just because I trained them doesn't mean they are a clone (Albert Puljos can teach me to hit a baseball but that doesn't mean I will be as good).

If I have a contract with a club to perform and I can't then it IS my responsibility to find someone AND someone at least close to my talent level because that is what they contracted for.

Excellent Dj's are hard to find (hell even just "good" djs are hard to find these days) so it is not that easy to just "...hire a dj that does" and keep the quality the patons have come to expect and deserve.

ok i see. well that is a problem that you really are stuck with I am afraid. I guesss things are different where I am I have 12 good friends all good dj's that I can ask to fill in for me out of the 12 6 of them are better than me :) . Hate to rub in what seems to be the norm but doesnt seem possible. The contract may need to be re negotiated if you are that worried. But honestly I would not worry about it. Most people are on the up and up if they are professional and are not coming to steal your stuff. What you could do is give the HD to the bar owner/bar tender and have them get it back after the show. I am sure someone djing will not be worried about copying your files while performing. And if he does so what there is nothing you can do so dont stress out. Lots of clubs have the same songs but it is more than that that makes someone choose one or the other.

Posted Wed 15 Oct 08 @ 1:28 pm
sirkitbreaker wrote :
dj-e-lectric wrote :

ok i see. well that is a problem that you really are stuck with I am afraid. I guesss things are different where I am I have 12 good friends all good dj's that I can ask to fill in for me out of the 12 6 of them are better than me :) . Hate to rub in what seems to be the norm but doesnt seem possible. The contract may need to be re negotiated if you are that worried. But honestly I would not worry about it. Most people are on the up and up if they are professional and are not coming to steal your stuff. What you could do is give the HD to the bar owner/bar tender and have them get it back after the show. I am sure someone djing will not be worried about copying your files while performing. And if he does so what there is nothing you can do so dont stress out. Lots of clubs have the same songs but it is more than that that makes someone choose one or the other.

I don't even have 12 people I would call friends let alone 12 Djs I could trust (I have a lot of aquaintances but very few people I call friends, I regard the word friend in high esteem)! The couple talented Djs I have I can trust can't fill in because they are all employed working other clubs....if it were just mp3 files I would not worry, but I am talking a terrabyte of expensive music videos and much collecting with a significant number of them being my own edits, extended and remixes which I don't care to have in anybody's hands.

Posted Fri 17 Oct 08 @ 2:44 pm
44%