Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Need External Drive Copy Protection.... - Page: 3

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

digijoc-Mele wrote :
@dj-e-lectric I don't completely agree that loaning a laptop is the most hastlefree or effective. If you a talking about vDJ, isn't each DJ likely to have his vDJ environment customized ? How would that work ?

Re: the method I propose, it shouldn't make a difference who the DJ is. If you have a policy that you secure your library via encryption, why would a DJ not respect that ? You also don't have to trust him/her. If they violate your trust, you will simply know about it. What you do after that is up to you.

(1) Part of the point is I don't want to have to do anything about it AFTER the fact, I want to prevent it upfront. It would be illegal for me to take any physical action against them, too expensive and very time consuming to take them to court to get an order to have their copies destroyed
(2) It's not going to be a laptop but something like a cube, a shuttle or other compact box.
(3) The environment can be customized anyway they want it...the skins are still interchangeable no matter what computer they are on....and for that matter if I let them use my computer then they would change MY environment.
(4) I will be able to use the new computer as a backup on my shows also.

Posted Wed 22 Oct 08 @ 12:08 am
OK i also have had My DJ music / karaoke files ripped off from me. I let a DJ "friend" use my HD one night .
here the story he called me said his Hd was not working had a show in 20mins. Did i have a backup drive he could use
i said i had a 500.gig drive as a backup he could use tonight but he had to bring it back that night this was Friday night
he said his show was far away and it was. said he could bring it bACK Saturday after noon.. i siad ok Saturday after noon he returned my 500 gig hd... 2 weeks later he called me and ask me to come to his wed night karaoke show.. i was not doing anything so i went.. well here is where i get upset.. when I get there i ask him did he get his Hd fixed he said his wife went the fridaynight and bought a new 1tb drive
i said cool and left it at that as the show went on.. My girlfriend was going to sing "Here for the party Wilson" but it came up redneck woman hmm the same thing happen on my system I named the songs wrong on the cd I know this and have changed them but not on the back up drive.. Hmm so i ask him what happen he said some of the songs are named wrong.. so i had my girlfriend sing some other songs off that CD and they where all wrong. so i ask him did you copy my HD he said just a few songs the New one that i did not have on my Desktop hd like the Brand new Stuff.. i said thats cool just should have Ask first.. two week later a guy calls me and drops My Fri & sat night Karaoke show I ask why he said he bought a Laptop and a hd off this DJ (the One I let use my HD) And had like 73,302 Karaoke song in the hd
buy the Way I had at that Time 73,302 Karaoke Song on my HD HMM..

so not only did he rip me off sold it to a Bar i karaoke it cost me my job

WOW !!
Lasertunes Entertainment
DJ Jamin Jim
www.myspace.com/djjim65

Posted Mon 17 Nov 08 @ 8:51 am
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
Would you really lend someone your vinyl or CD collection? I don't see how lending them your digital music collection is any different, other than it being quicker/more convenient for them to copy it...

Posted Mon 17 Nov 08 @ 9:12 am
this happened to me also but it was only about 8 gb worth of music..but still man im not letting no one borrow my songs anymore...LEARNED IT THE HARD WAY...the music cost me money and all he had to do was DRAG AND DROP...

Posted Mon 17 Nov 08 @ 9:31 am
Either come off your files and let him have a copy or hire somebody you trust won't take em.

Posted Mon 17 Nov 08 @ 4:28 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)