Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Ultimate Media-MIDI Controller

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hey all,

I am looking for the Ultimate controller but I don't think it exists yet. Is there a solution for my ideal controller that is now on the market or any that have been announced?

These are the following requirements that I would like to see in a media controller.

1. Media Controller - Control Mass Media devices via USB 2.0 such as Hard drives, MP3 player, iPods, thumb drives etc...
2. Media formats - Be able to read devices in multiple formats (FAT16, FAT32, NTFS, HFS+, EXT3 etc...)
3. File Formats - Support of multiple file formats (CBR MP3 & VBR MP3, WAV, AAC etc...)
4. MIDI via USB - MIDI support to control Virtual PCDJ programs (Virtual DJ, etc...)
5. CD Support - Be able to support 2 CD drives either via USB or an add-on unit (CDDA, CD+R, CD+RW, MP3 CD)
6. LCD Screen - Should be able to view all
7. Keyboard - Should be able to plug in a USB keyboard for easier searches
8. Playlists - Should support playlists created on a PC (.m3u, .pls, .xspf etc...)
9. Jog Wheels - To be able to pitch bend or scratch
10. Pitch Control - Slide pitch controllers with variable ratios (±6, 12, 25 etc...)
11. Text support - Should support enhanced feature in MP3s (ID3 tags)
12. Size - 19" Rack Mountable (2U or 3U)

Posted Tue 01 Apr 08 @ 10:26 pm
Good luck! if you find it let me know.

Posted Wed 02 Apr 08 @ 1:07 pm
jimmy bPRO InfinityMember since 2007
Charlie Wilson wrote :
Good luck! if you find it let me know.

LOL, me too, give me a shout, it'll be a answer to all our prays...LOL

Jimmy b

Posted Wed 02 Apr 08 @ 1:11 pm
l_ridsPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Have a look at Denon's new rackmount gear. I think its kind of close to what your looking for. The jog wheels arent the best for scratching though.

Posted Thu 03 Apr 08 @ 1:21 am
The Denon DN-HC4500 is the closest thing I have found so far. The display is only two lines so that may make finding songs a bit harder when working with a large library. CD support requires buying the BU4500 CD/MP3 Drive which is a separate product. I guess if Denon makes a unit in the future with all the qualities of the DN-HC4500 & adds a larger display that may be the Ultimate controller. In the meantime I will wait.

Posted Thu 03 Apr 08 @ 7:08 am
In this game it seems that the DJ's are waiting there lives away just trying to have something thats fun and practical.

Posted Thu 03 Apr 08 @ 5:30 pm
you are asking for too much. If this controller was available, the manual would have over 500 pages to read.

Posted Fri 04 Apr 08 @ 1:01 am
xche78xHome userMember since 2006
options
Vestax VCI-100, 300 or whatever model, its pretty much similar. ($350-650, PC Midi Controller)
Pioneer CDJ-400 ($650 per Deck, 1 is enough for VirtualDJ)
Pioneer SEP-C1 ($1200,Expensive, Coming Soon, much expensive when bundled with MEP-700 Dual CD = $2300)
Pioneer SVM-1000 ($6000, Expensive Coming Soon)

Pioneer DJ products are the best for me!
i used to DJ on the now Defunk Pioneer RMX - SX-R9 Dual CD / MD / Amp / Tuner / EFX / Mixer Hi-fi Component System
http://xche78x.multiply.com/photos/album/35/Pioneer_RMX-9_SX-R9_ (<<Only Multiply Logged Members Can View These Pics)

Software wise, nothing comes close to VirtualDJ, even if im just using the demo ^.^
I plan to buy the retail once i get my hands on any of the above mentioned controllers (probably the cdj-400 or vci-xxx)

Posted Fri 04 Apr 08 @ 5:17 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)