Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: [NEWS] VirtualDJ 5.0 revision 6 - Page: 8

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

bogartPRO InfinityMember since 2004
aparson
I also have the problem with itunes.
Haven't been able to get them to stop popping up.

Posted Mon 24 Dec 07 @ 7:21 am
aparsonPRO InfinityMember since 2007
Hi again,

Anybody here has some answers/advice on this comment issue??? Or should I just downgrade to the previous version on which I did not had that problem before ?

ap

Posted Mon 24 Dec 07 @ 8:13 am
Paz75PRO InfinityMember since 2006
very odd issues you're having there. can you put some sample text about what you are putting into the tags with Tag&Rename? I use that too with no problems.

The ÿ is a unicode character. Maybe if you give me some text I can check it out, or even post one of the miscreant mp3s on yousendit.com and post the link?

Posted Mon 24 Dec 07 @ 8:30 am
Hi Paz75....

Thanks for replying to my inquire.

What I write on the comment field when using Tag&Rename is something like this :
A MUST - Dancefloor filla
Excellent
A MUST
A MUST*Classic

When I look at the comment within Tag&Rename or any other mp3/music player software I see no weird characters; however, when I load them up on CUE the weird character appears.

Like I said on my previous post, this started to happened since upgrading to rev6...I have not made any changes on my Tag&Rename settings...all my old tags' comments display correctly. The issue is only with comments saved after upgrading.

I really don't want to go back to the previous revision because I like the fact that I finally got rid of those annoying itunes' comments...but I'm also afraid that all my new mp3 will have this "ÿ" character which becomes a problem when I try to sort out the music by comment...because that means that all my new mp3, even thought they are new "hot" music, are going to ended up at the bottom of the list.

Hope this helps you to have a better idea of what I'm against to.

Cheers

Posted Wed 26 Dec 07 @ 9:42 am

is it the astrix (*) that change to ÿ ?

The astrix (*) have a very special function in VDJ, as a "wild card" for search...

Like this search :

usher* yeah*

Posted Wed 26 Dec 07 @ 9:47 am
Dj-in-norway,

I was wondering where were you all this time...

No, the "ÿ" is inserted at the begining of the comment....for example:
Lets say I wrote the following comment on a mp3: "A MUST"
When displayed on CUE(VDJ) it will show the following: "ÿA MUST"

In regards to the astrix (*), all the songs on which I have updated their comments after the install of rev6 DO NOT have the "*" on them at all. Previously ( before rev6 ) saved songs' comments are displayed without the mentioned character.

Back when I had this problem in previous revisions of version 5, someone said that the weird character was product of the fact that the ID3V1 and ID3V2 information were different, I already check on both ID3 have the exact same information, including genre and comment.

Perhaps you could look in the program code itself and see what difference rev4 and rev6 have in regards at reading comments.

In another note, and since I have your attention, I'm looking forward to jump to the virtual vynil era...I bought CUE a few months back and I would like to buy the interface card and the vynils...do you know where I can get those things here in the USA ? I've asked Numark and they told me that I will need to buy the whole setup in order to get them...which sucks because I already bought the full CUE for almost $400. Maybe you know someone that is selling his/her interface box and vynils.....I know I could probably get a Maya44...but I would like to keep everything on the Numark side if possible.

Happy new year...

AP

Posted Thu 27 Dec 07 @ 9:44 am
djcelPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
aparson wrote :
Dj-in-norway,

No, the "ÿ" is inserted at the begining of the comment....for example:
Lets say I wrote the following comment on a mp3: "A MUST"
When displayed on CUE(VDJ) it will show the following: "ÿA MUST"

In regards to the astrix (*), all the songs on which I have updated their comments after the install of rev6 DO NOT have the "*" on them at all. Previously ( before rev6 ) saved songs' comments are displayed without the mentioned character.

Is it a UNICODE id3tAG comment ?

Posted Thu 27 Dec 07 @ 5:16 pm
aparson wrote :
Dj-in-norway,

In another note, and since I have your attention, I'm looking forward to jump to the virtual vynil era...I bought CUE a few months back and I would like to buy the interface card and the vynils...do you know where I can get those things here in the USA ?

been damn busy lately at work;) and happy new years to you too...

Regarding the Numark "upgrade" they unfortunately dont offer such a thing. You could ask at the Numark forum if anyone is selling the box, there are always those who jump of the wagon, or choose a different solution. Though most here seems to be keepers.
I would also want all "same branded", looks better ;) So I get you there

Posted Thu 27 Dec 07 @ 5:21 pm
Quote :

Is it a UNICODE id3tAG comment ?

DJ-in-norway,

As always, you were right.....I unchecked the "Write UNICODE on ID3V2 tag" option on the Tag&Rename settings and now everything is back to normal. No more weird characters.

Thanks a lot for your, and everybody else that replied to my inquire, advice.

ap

Posted Fri 28 Dec 07 @ 10:03 am

hehe thanx ;) and good to hear its back working

but credits to Cel, it was Dj Cel that posted the thing about Unicode.. ;)

Posted Fri 28 Dec 07 @ 10:18 am
SupaconPRO InfinityMember since 2005
Paz75 wrote :
just curious, but why would you want something like that? beatgrid is an awesome effect, is it's not working though, then maybe the beat mapping is just not correct? what kind of music you experiencing this with and what kind of recordings are they (ripped vinyl or digital)

Beatgrid can be very handy, yes. And yes, one can manually adjust if for every song they play to get it lined up so that it works correctly. However, it's far easier to just nudge a song (or loop) into alignment with another track until it sounds right, which you need your ears to do. At this point it would seem rather redundant to actually go and mess around with the beatgrid adjustments, especially if you're mixing in a hurry.

I only really want this feature for when I'm doing a very drastic tempo change (like more than 8%) during a fairly long blend where I want to change the tempo of the tracks I'm playing in the middle of a live blend. As it is now, I have to kind of adjust each deck a bit and then match the other one and then readjust it again to match, which is a pain in the butt, and doesn't allow me to change the tempo as quickly or smoothly as I'd like at times.

Sometimes the beatgrid works okay, but even if it's lined up:
a) It might not quite be in just the right part of the beat for the phase to match perfectly - one needs to use their ears to hear that
b) Sometimes the first note of the beatgrid (the big dot) is not the first note of the measures in the song and when you click the sync button, it tries to skip a beat or do some dumb thing, and then it messes up my mix and makes it sound like a train wreck - this probably happens more than half of the time I use this feature.

What types of music is this problem most prevalent with? I'd say anything that isn't a straightforward electronic dance music four-to-the-floor beat (i.e. rap, hiphop, reggaeton, reggae, any acoustic music, rock, etc.) Although even with normal, vanilla house tracks the phase can be just a bit off even if the tempo is perfect (so you can hear a bit of gallopping, or the beats sound slurred or something). The irony is that I usually want to do such out-loud tempo changing blends with the types of music that give the worst problems, because hip-hop and reggae, for example encompasses a very wide range of tempos.

It seems that most of the responses I've gotten to this issue/suggestion are pretty defensive of the automix feature - I'm not proposing that it gets scrapped altogether, because it sometimes does work as it should, but how hard could it be to have a parameter available that allows the sync to be turned off for shortcut keys or a skin? Perhaps it could be implemented as another feature that maintains a beatmatch - like if you held down the button that matches the tempo of the deck to the other deck. This is just a feature I really want on my VideoVision skin for doing long blends out loud while changing tempo.

Posted Sat 29 Dec 07 @ 10:17 am
Dj XeoPRO InfinityMember since 2005
beat grid does not take account of swing in songs ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swung_note ) so if you are using 1/4 beat the cuts will not be in time. songs with a reagaee / ska influence all have swing.
so either you need a beatgrid that has swing calculation or dont use 1/4 beats on this type of music
if you are using beat grid on a song with no swing and a correct CBG it will work fine

i certainly take your point about the 'snap to' or 'auto correct' for all the CBG based features in VDJ, i would like a way that does not quantize your inputs and does what you want the instant you press the button. this would allow for bad CBG etc and give the user more control.

Posted Sat 29 Dec 07 @ 11:01 am
dj-in-norway wrote :

hehe thanx ;) and good to hear its back working

but credits to Cel, it was Dj Cel that posted the thing about Unicode.. ;)

Will that ÿ disappear in the next version or should i start re-entering comments? :)

Posted Mon 31 Dec 07 @ 11:15 am
Sorry if this is not the right place to post. I am new here today. Can anyone please tell me if I purchase, are the updates all going to be free?
Under what conditions would they not be? What might maintenance cost for upgrades to fix bugs?
Thanks,
Les
Orlando FL

Posted Sat 02 Feb 08 @ 9:12 am
ciocePRO InfinityMember since 2004
Will be FREE :)

Posted Sat 02 Feb 08 @ 9:29 am
BenqiHome userMember since 2008
Hello,

my serial number for VDJ 5.0 rev6 cannot be registred,can you help me to resolve this problem?thank you.

Posted Tue 04 Nov 08 @ 6:00 am
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004

Posted Tue 04 Nov 08 @ 6:09 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)