Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: How much would you spend? - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

djnutzPRO InfinityMember since 2006
I have a product that has been almost a year since the concept first dawned on me. I am now a few weeks from a finished product, ready to release to the public.

This is not so much a new technology, but the merging of existing technology.

Here are the basics:

I have a pc in a custom rack mountable case. The pc case is the standard 19" wide, roughly 6 1/2" tall, and 15" deep. This case fits into a coffin style case. This case includes a RAID'd system and 2 video cards. I'm not going to go into the details of memory or processing power, but I will say it is dual core and quite fast. I will post the complete specs soon.

The pc case also includes a 19" touchscreen mounted in the top. This centerpiece is made by a friend/business partner of mine at ProDJPC. So this piece is in a coffin case where a mixer would be located. On both sides of this unit there is a 15" touchscreen mounted on it's side (portrait style). The center screen has mixer controls and the browser. It also has a video preview window that is switchable between video preview or the file information. This is also the "loading" area. The issue is you can't drag across from one touchscreen to another so I added a place on the main screen to drag files to to load them into the player. There are also buttons linked to the 12 audio samples, buttons for the clip bank, and buttons to switch the video effects without having to go to the video effect screen. This gets as much stuff right at your fingertips without getting cluttered.

The 2 side screens each display a DN-3500 complete with slipmat. The platter will actually spin and you can grab it and scratch just like you would with the actual equipment, but it's all on a touchscreen.

The 2 video cards allow for 3 touchscreens and one video out to an external tv/projector.

This picture shows the first version of the skin. I have added quite a bit and changed a few things.

This sytem eliminates the need for a controller, mixer, keyboard, mouse, timecodes, turntable/cd player. Basically, I carry a coffin case and two powered Mackies. I have custom cables for the speakers with power and signal in one cable. The coffin case will have audio and power out on each end. There will be a power in out the back, and that is it for set-up.

The system is RAID'd so if my drive goes down, there is a backup and I won't have to reboot. I will still carry a backup solution in case of total system failure.

The touchscreens are the latest technology and they allow an insane number of touches. I have tried to get the system to lockup, but it reacts to touches as fast as my fingers can go.

The one drawback to this system is that you can only have one touch at a time. So you can scratch and run a crossfader at the same time. In this case you would have to use an analog mixer. The touchscreen technology hasn't gotten to the point of allowing 2 touches at once. There is work being done in that area, but nothing has been released to the public yet.

This sytem will be in the $4000-$5000 area and you have to add software and music. The custom skin for VDJ comes included. I would guess that folks that are interested in this system will already have a VDJ license.

So what do you all think?

Posted Tue 25 Sep 07 @ 12:32 am
In my opinion way to pricey,,,since it is still mounted in a dj cofin I really don't see the need for the 2 touch screens since all they seem to be doing is duplicating the efforts of the pioneer dvd players but withou the feel and the functionality of being able to pop in a real dvd if the computer crashes.

Also one of the reasons a lot of djs go computer is so we don't have to lug around a full coffin anymore, a lappy bag, a mixer and some jbl eon g2s and it all fits nicely on one lowes $90 hand wagon to bring in and out of the show.

Some flash over substance types might like it for it's flashiness but seems to me if you really wanted to "look cool" a system like this can be built for around $2500.00 not including any proprietary software you may have that you didn't mention.....

Just my humble opinion.

Posted Tue 25 Sep 07 @ 3:31 am
by the way, it looks really cool and if it's fully skinable that would really help.

Posted Tue 25 Sep 07 @ 3:32 am
This system is fully skinable. I am using VDJ, so you have all the skin options to choose from. My skin is 2560x768. This streches the skin across the 3 screens. The difference with this system is that no laptop has the video power you can get from the high end video cards for desktops. The case with all the components comes in at around 60 pounds. I know a lot of guys like their laptops and the small size. I like the "desktop" format because as technology advances, I can upgrade individual components as needed verses having to buy a whole new laptop. This goes to my mentality of needing to be on the cutting edge.

This certainly isn't for everyone, but I have a feeling that there are a few that would like to have a tool like this at their disposal. We aren't looking for a high volume of buyers. My partner in this endeavor is currently marketing his single 19" touchscreen setup to mobile guys that are PC based.

I like this system because I have lighting control, video control, and audio control in one system with no perifierals.

Posted Tue 25 Sep 07 @ 4:32 am
bump

Posted Tue 25 Sep 07 @ 9:33 pm

wow... impressive project..

When that baby is up running, make a promo video, and people will see how amazing it is ;)

touch-screen decks.. you are from the future! ;)

Posted Tue 25 Sep 07 @ 10:00 pm
UPDATE:

I have 3 glorious touchscreens sitting in front of me and I am in the process of getting the skin polished. I am also helping to get a new club ready for opening weekend this Friday. And yes, I'm the resident there.

I have about 30% of the XML complete. This is going to be a fantastic system. The reaction time going from one screen to the next is amazing. It can't move as fast as a mixer and 2 turntables if you scratch a lot, but I do have a lot of features on one screen. Without changing any pannels, there are buttons for the sampler, the clip bank, the sonique effects, and a few other video effects. Having all this at your figertips and no moving parts is priceless.

Posted Wed 03 Oct 07 @ 7:58 am
UPDATE:

Skin is done! Whew... Still needs tweaking to make sure I have all the functions I need. The prototype case is done as well. I am going to have a case manufacturer mass produce the case. I am going to get some pics and video and get those up here hopefully by the end of the week. A handfull of people have seen this system and played with it. It is absoutely sick... Pics and video is top of my priority list.

I am having one issue that needs to be ironed out. I have 2 15" touchscreens and one 19" touchscreen making a desktop that is 2816*1024. My skin is set for this same resolution, but VDJ gives me the resolution error when I select my custom skin. Is this a limitation of VDJ?

Posted Mon 15 Oct 07 @ 11:36 pm
djcelPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
Great project. Welcome in the future :-)

What's next ? glasses with 3D environment for VirtualDJ ?

Posted Tue 16 Oct 07 @ 8:08 pm
3d decks...now that is cool. This system is crazy. I will be running this system through it's paces this coming weekend. I'm using the higest end components which puts the price (including case) at $4800. My business partner and I have also worked out a system for less money ($3000 range) but it doesn't have the same memory or speed. Both systems are stable and able to handle just about anything. I just like to have the extra headroom.

I have figured out one roadblock. My skin can't be run maximaized because windows and Nvidia haven't figured out how to have the desktop stretched across 2 video cards. I can tell VDJ i hae a desktop that big, but windows says it isn't. I'm waiting to see if Nvidia can maybe write a new driver to solve this problem. until then, I will run VDJ in windowed mode.

Posted Wed 17 Oct 07 @ 5:59 am
So I used the system live for the first time last night, and it worked perfectly. Not only that, but I had a special guest show up: Sway from MTV. He hung out in the booth on the mic for most of the night. He said he has never seen a system quite like mine. No video of the system in action, but here are some photos.

Posted Sun 28 Oct 07 @ 6:59 pm
A really nice looking system but here is a question ....how dificult would it be to make it showerproof for outdoor events and the side screens would be great for video work rather than waising them on the cd lookalike decks IMHO.

Posted Sun 28 Oct 07 @ 7:34 pm
I would never do an outdoor event without some type of covering. The side screens are lookalikes because that's my preference, but they can be anything you would want them to be. I'm not sure what video work you would need. The preview and video effects are all on the center screen. I welcome the feedback. I am willing to create any functions you need.

Posted Sun 28 Oct 07 @ 8:12 pm
Very Nice setup...

How is the latency while scratching with your touch screen turntables?

DJ TAO :)

Posted Sun 28 Oct 07 @ 11:03 pm
Man that thing is sweet!!

Posted Sun 28 Oct 07 @ 11:06 pm
The latency is great. It reacts faster that you can move your fingers.

Posted Sun 28 Oct 07 @ 11:57 pm
DJNUTZ,

That is great!!!

I myself would like to add something like this to my actual setups due to my worsening "Multiple Sclerosis" condition.

But I would probably miss the acutal feeling (or at least what I can feel now) of the hardware mixer, etc...

Sure is a very neat looking setup!!!

Thanks for the info...,

DJ TAO :)

Posted Mon 29 Oct 07 @ 4:35 am

Posted Mon 29 Oct 07 @ 12:50 pm
spinnaJPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Thats really really sweet n nicey to look at. Indeed the future gadget;)

Posted Mon 29 Oct 07 @ 1:06 pm
djnutz

this is exactly what ive been looking and wanting
now can you ship out to Dubai

Posted Mon 29 Oct 07 @ 2:20 pm
74%