Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Video Camera input?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I would like to mix good resolution external video with VDJ. I currently do this externally with an Edirol V400 Mixer.

Does anybody know of a USB device that will accept my broadcast quality video camera SVHS as input, and get a 30 frame/sec into the computer for VDJ to use? I do not want webcam resolution... I want full frame (~640x480, or better). Thanks.

Posted Sat 22 Sep 07 @ 7:43 am
I have a HD capture card, but it does not work with the camera plugin (old or new) so we would need to know what capture devices also work with the VDJ camera plugin too.

I also have a HD webcam that does video up to (Logitech Quickcam Fusion) 980x??? but the current camera plugin will only allow res up to 640x480 for some reason. The webcam does look great at 640x480, but chews a lot of processor power at the res when use with VDJ.

Posted Sat 22 Sep 07 @ 8:09 am
So in general, does using the camera plug-in at 640x480 make running VDJ unstable? And if it can be stable, how would this video quality compare with using an S-video output on the camera and mixing that externally with a video mixer?

Posted Sat 22 Sep 07 @ 8:44 pm
At 640x480 my 3GHz cpu sits at about 80% with no tracks playing, the tracks play and load, but I found if i load a Divx file (or a high quality file) VDJ would stay stable, but the camera plugin would drop out, requiring you to turn the plugin off, then on again.

On testing the camera on its own but with VDJ running I get the same CPU usage, so its the camera thats pulling the juice.

Posted Sun 23 Sep 07 @ 5:24 am
So it sounds like we still need to mix live video externally, at least for now...?

Posted Sun 23 Sep 07 @ 5:37 am
what i do is take the s-video out of my video card & go into my camera (recording to tape) then capture to computer afterwards.

Posted Sun 23 Sep 07 @ 9:14 am
I'm not using the camera for recording. I am using it for showing live dance floor simulcast mixed in with music videos in VDJ...

Posted Sun 23 Sep 07 @ 9:19 pm
I bin thinikin bout doin the same thing. Anybody have a set-up that is working well for this?

Posted Tue 25 Sep 07 @ 1:46 am
Mine is working well, but it does require the use of an external digital video mixer. It would be nice to eventually be able to mix everything in VDJ.

Posted Tue 25 Sep 07 @ 7:54 pm
Why does the current 5.4 version of VDJ not work with the camera plugin? I'm trying to use an off the shelf usb web cam set to 640x480 to do live shots of the floor as well, and all I'm getting is a black or white window. If I try to use it for scratching, it works fine. Am I doing something wrong?

Posted Wed 21 Nov 07 @ 4:45 pm
brian_fligg wrote :
Why does the current 5.4 version of VDJ not work with the camera plugin? I'm trying to use an off the shelf usb web cam set to 640x480 to do live shots of the floor as well, and all I'm getting is a black or white window. If I try to use it for scratching, it works fine. Am I doing something wrong?

It works perfectly fine with a USB webcam. But for dim lighting situations People are Trying to get Regular Video Camera's to work with VDJ.
CAMCORDERS "see" better in the dark.

Posted Wed 21 Nov 07 @ 5:12 pm
Then what should I look at because all I'm getting is a black screen? I select camera as plugin to use when no video is present, and it's turned on, but black screen.

Posted Wed 21 Nov 07 @ 5:18 pm
mp3jrickPRO InfinityHonorary MemberMember since 2003
This was a thread from last year.
http://www.virtualdj.com/forums/61212/Hardware_Technical_Support/Live_Video_Feed_Working.html?highlight=mp3jrick%20and%20camera

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/263765-REG/ADS_Technologies_USBAV190_USB_Instant_Video_CD_.html

If you want good quality shots, get a good camera.

This one I made a base socket for and I stick it on top of a retired light tree next to the screen, works excellent.
I also added a remote ir that hard wired the control that came with it, so now I can stick it anywhere.
There are also 6 preset positions you can set up, which when you are doing mixing and dmx, is nice to have as it doesn't break your attention for as long.

Posted Wed 21 Nov 07 @ 11:41 pm
I've got a JVC Mini DV plugged into my USB that looks awesome. The only problem I have is that I get some vertical lines about every 30 seconds. It's distracting but the quality otherwise is awesome. I'm topping out at about 30% cpu usage playing 2 videos and having the camera active.

Greg
ProDJpc

Specs:
2Gigs Ram
2.66GHz Core 2 DUo
Nvidea 8600GT 256mb card
Windows XP

Posted Thu 22 Nov 07 @ 8:12 am
WOW, now that's a report I wanted to hear. Happen to have a link to where I can get the camera?

Posted Thu 22 Nov 07 @ 8:17 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)