Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: with or without vdj?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

allanwHome userMember since 2004
hi everyone i have been using vdj for a while now and also have the hercules dj console and ive been thinking about upgrading my setup to something more proffesional. If you guys could give me some feedback on the pros and cons of the following setups i would be very appreciative. Im currently using the dj console on my main PC which i cant do for much longer cuz both me and my girlfriend need it for study and having the console in front of me distracts me lol.

so here is no.1 setup: laptop with full license VDJ, 2x XP10 controllers hooked up to an external mixer (not sure on which one yet).

setup no.2: 2xDigital turntables eg: Denon DN-S3000 and a mixer (not sure on which one yet).

Has anyone had any experience with these digital turntable setups?? any information will be taken on board i am just trying to educate myself as to which of these options will be the best in the long term.

thanks guys.

Posted Fri 22 Oct 04 @ 5:54 am
djbambiPRO InfinityMember since 2003
With setup1, you can do everything you could do with setup 2, and much much more!

With setup 2, you can do a subset of what you can do with setup 1.

Pricewise, setup 1 might come out to be more expensive if you choose a good quality notebook (but then you can use it for other stuff too).

I have opted for setup1 and am having a blast :)

Nicolas

ps: oh, and setup1 is highly evolutive.

Posted Fri 22 Oct 04 @ 9:22 am
i can definately see the advantages in using setup 1 but i cant help but remember the times i have played around with turntables and setup 2 brings the feeling of vinyl better than setup 1, so im kinda stuck between the two if you know what i mean.

Posted Fri 22 Oct 04 @ 12:25 pm
there is also a setup nr 3, giving you the best of BOTH worlds ;)

Get pro analogue cd-players, timecode CD's, external mixer and VDJ full licence...

That will give you these advantages:
- You can controll VDJ by using timecode cd's, it would be just as if the mp3's where "downloaded" instantly to your cd-players... and nudge/scratch, play/cue/pitch/loop etc could be controlled by using cd-player w/ VDJ running ;)
- you can in this setup ALSO use regular cd's by "by-pass" VDJ - if you ever where in need of playing real cd's
- Your system would be VERY upgrade-able, as you with a full licence of VDJ get free upgrades and updates, always giving you the best there is... ;)

now... this is my ultimate setup ;)

Posted Fri 22 Oct 04 @ 1:10 pm
if you want the closest vinyl-feel possible, get 2 turntables and 2 timecoded VDJ-records. Personally i wouldn't go for setup 2. Those Denons are pretty neat stuff, but there are some NASTY disadvantages compared to VDJ: No autobeatmatching, still changing cd's (vdj runs tracks from HD), no support for special FX (there is a HUGE number of VST-effects for cubase available which can be used by VDJ) and 2 Denons are way more expensive than a VDJ-setup.

I would go for setup 1 (or 3 like DJ-in-Norway mentioned;)

Posted Fri 22 Oct 04 @ 3:45 pm
I'd still stick to set-up 1, where you won't have to touch your keyboard or mouse thanks to the xp10's great re-mapping functions: start vdj, then it's just the xp10s, a mixer, the screen and you.

you can go with CD players and the timecoded CDs, just to end up only using your CD players for controlling VDJ, and that would be a shame cauz you'd have spent as much (or almost) for a half-as-good controller.

one last thing, I have vinyl nostalgia too, and the XP10s let me use the same gestures as vinyl: scratch back and forth on the cue and release the track by letting your hand off the platter. a move that feels so much more natural to me than pressing a PLAY button...

would other xp10 owners stir this poor soul in the right direction? :)

Posted Fri 22 Oct 04 @ 5:37 pm
By the way, the Denon will let you do the vinyl gesture too (and so will the new Technics), but would you really sacrifice all the advantages of setup1 for a "slightly bigger rotating platter", cauz that's what it comes down too really.

Like you, I had the dj console. It fell a bit awkward after vinyl. fun for the price, but the low on sensations.

With vdj and the xp10s, you have the best available digital mixing tool at you fingertip. Doesn't say Denon or Technics on it, but surpasses any of them and constitutes the optimal tool for a new art form IMHO.

Note that my comments do not apply if you're a scratch DJ, there's only one true tool for that artform.

Nicolas

Posted Fri 22 Oct 04 @ 5:59 pm
Ok boys set up 4: inda club!
Technics 1200 mk2 with midi trigger box (home made)
Dual Stanton digital 650 cd player
Bare bone think pad with VDJ running in realtime and Cubase sl
M-audio Midi workstation(keyboard to trigger anyone anytime)from VDJ samples right up to Turntables(Transformer stylee)
Logitech tunnel vision webcam for scratching(unreal effects)
Beringher external mixer with side mounted cross fader

Regards Andre

Posted Sat 23 Oct 04 @ 7:04 am
thank you for your input everyone you have all been very informative:)

Posted Sat 23 Oct 04 @ 7:52 am
rodie83Home userMember since 2004
Setup 1 is a good setup. Make sure you get a expensive mixer with an build in effects module. These are way better then (VirtualDJ) software effects.

Posted Sat 23 Oct 04 @ 10:22 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)