Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Database from 3.4/4.x has missing songs etc in V5 [solved] - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

Hello all. I am sorry to start with negativity about the new version, but, here goes. I had a perfect database from v3.4 which also displayed perfectly in 4.3r2. So, everything was properly updated in the VDJ4 install folder (the virtualdj folder is used for 3.4 which is all I trust at gigs still). I ran the VDJ5 install and did an upgrade on the 4.3r2 install. I've checked and it is using the full size xml file in my documents folder. I had my music eSATA drive connected when I started V5 etc... Yes I read the manual. In V5 I have missing songs and tons of songs appear to be not analyzed now. When I do searches of particular artists many of their songs are missing. I tried changing the parameters used (artist, title, filename etc...) and it made no difference. The songs still appear to be missing. It is also completely random across many different folders. I have approx. 50,000+ songs in the database (used for many types of events). Any ideas why this is happening?

I can fix the not in database problem by simply removing all my music from the database and then add it back in. But, the not analyzed problem is a real bitch.

Posted Mon 20 Aug 07 @ 3:59 am
Do this..

click on the blue folder: it's called "filter"

1. set "Name" to "Local Database"

2. set "Filter" to "top 99999999999999999999999 nbplay"

3. right click on folder "Local Database" just created and click on "move up"

4. repeat step 3 until it reached the top.

yes, I am the man

Curtesy of
Super DJ Shahar

Posted Mon 20 Aug 07 @ 4:20 am
Umm this is not the problem. But, thanks for the useless reply. ;) The problem is now as I stated above the prevalence of unanalyzed songs (which were definitely analyzed and working in v3.4 and 4.x). Also the analyzing of songs is now about twice as slow as it was before.

Posted Mon 20 Aug 07 @ 4:26 am
Yea hey, anytime. Good luck.

Posted Mon 20 Aug 07 @ 6:09 am
apopsisdjPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
Soundman69 wrote :
Umm this is not the problem. But, thanks for the useless reply. ;) The problem is now as I stated above the prevalence of unanalyzed songs (which were definitely analyzed and working in v3.4 and 4.x). Also the analyzing of songs is now about twice as slow as it was before.

If i understand well you have 2 different installation folders one for 3.4 and one for 4.x, that might be the problem as in registry there is one virtualdj folders and "working directory" and other settings are splited.
Let me know if this is the case to help to do the conversion manually.
For the loading speed, check if speedload is set to 0, set it to 1. Use registry tool from djcel for this.

Posted Mon 20 Aug 07 @ 9:05 am
had a problem sort-of like that... recursed music folder and everything was right there.

see if that works?

Posted Mon 20 Aug 07 @ 12:39 pm

Posted Mon 20 Aug 07 @ 1:30 pm
HOW TO MANUALLY CONVERT YOUR v4 DATABASE TO VERSION 5

Matt0218 wrote :

apopsis,
please tell me more about how to do the conversion manually
cheers,
matt

Matt (and All who have the same problem): the new database has different format, and it is splited across your drives.
Once vdj5 starts for the first time it copies/renames your 4.x database to its new location in your "documents and settings" --- "virtualdj" folder.
(more info in the manual for the updates)
Then you scan your drives and for every entry it found it copies the information from the master database to local databases and change it's format.
If you fail to success this the first time, let's do this by hand.

1. Be sure you have an untouched original v4 database (make another backup of it to be sure)
2. Delete every new database v5 created: The master db in my documents and every "local" database in the root of every drive you have.
3. Copy your v4 db to my documents-virtualdj folder and rename it as VirtualDJ Database v5.xml
4. Plug any drive that contain analyzed songs from your old database.
5. Run vdj5, and go to every folder or drive you have those files and right click ->add to search database.
This will do the conversion, create local databases if needed and update all paths.
Then your removable drives are hot plugable (is this the right word?) No need to scan every time. Paths retained automatically.

Good luck.

After you succeed the conversion and have all your info back, close vdj and make a backup of all your new databases.
Then you can use the database tools in options to clean/optimize the new databases.

Posted Mon 20 Aug 07 @ 3:55 pm
apopsis,

i did exactly what you told me and taraaaaaaah~~~
pretty much all my info back
there are only some missing, not a big deal
i'm sure they were duplicates or something like that, messiing up the old database
at least now i have accurate "local" databases on each harddrive with the actual songs in it
of course i'll keep a backup of my old v4 database, just in case

anyways, i'm happy AGAIN !!!

thank you so much

cheers,
matt

Posted Mon 20 Aug 07 @ 4:40 pm
Matt0218 wrote :
apopsis,

i did exactly what you told me and taraaaaaaah~~~
pretty much all my info back
thank you so much

cheers,
matt

You're welcome !, Glad it's worked.

Posted Mon 20 Aug 07 @ 4:59 pm
i'm sure a lot of people have been waiting for this "database" update
(the conversion is not perfect right now, but i'm sure an update will fix it soon)
i LOVE it
it's like windows plug-in-play
as soon as you plug-in a new harddrive
the songs will appear in the database and even the virtual folders will appear in the browser
this is fantastic

thank you again, the team and everybody else involved

i'm looking forward to play with the new version on thursday
after, of course, running a few more tests...

cheers,
matt

Posted Mon 20 Aug 07 @ 6:16 pm
Apopsis's tip is the way to go if you have encountered a problem to have your files recognised.

As far as I am concerned, +- 50 songs haven't been recognised yet (= 1% of my collection of songs). I have noticed that a lot of them were encoded years ago with no TAG.

Posted Mon 20 Aug 07 @ 6:41 pm
Even after following the above instructions, I still had several hundred songs that appeared as unanalyzed. They all have proper tagging and were properly analyzed previously. The only solution I see is to reanalyze them manually.

Posted Mon 20 Aug 07 @ 7:18 pm
Soundman69 wrote :
Even after following the above instructions, I still had several hundred songs that appeared as unanalyzed. They all have proper tagging and were properly analyzed previously. The only solution I see is to reanalyze them manually.

Let me ask this IMPORTANT question.
--Did you altered any tags (or volumes), after you last time used your v4 database ?

Posted Mon 20 Aug 07 @ 7:48 pm
Nope, everything is identical. So it's in the process of reanalyzing the songs which showed up as unanalyzed now :(

Posted Mon 20 Aug 07 @ 8:16 pm
I tried this solution and it didn't work...

still had SEVERAL mp3's that I had to get info from tags because it was no longer there!

And because video doesn't have ID3 tags ... I have several of those as well that are not scanned... so I can't just get bpm info from tags!

bummer...

can't wait til there's are working solution for this small glitch!

Posted Mon 20 Aug 07 @ 8:18 pm
apopsis wrote :
Did you altered any tags (or volumes), after you last time used your v4 database ?

just curious, but can you alter volumes(gain, right ?)
inside vdj ?

e.g.:
vdj analyzed a file, but the volume(gain) is too low or high
can i change and save the "new" gain ?

Posted Tue 21 Aug 07 @ 12:50 am
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
No, VDJ doesn't do normalization. Need to use something that can normalize the track.

Posted Tue 21 Aug 07 @ 1:25 am
Matt0218 wrote :

vdj analyzed a file, but the volume(gain) is too low or high
can i change and save the "new" gain ?

Just use the auto-gain to 0 db, or always match. It matches the volumes quite good.
There is no need to tweek your files physically (especially if you have to re-encode, you loose in quality this way)

Posted Tue 21 Aug 07 @ 2:08 am
sorry guys, you got me all wrong :-)

what i meant was
vdj analyzes a new song and saves the analyzed data into the database
including the "volume(gain)", right ?
so, that vdj will set the right gain up on loading (not analyzing the gain again)
but sometimes vdj calculates the wrong gain, saves it and sets it too low or high when you load the track
it's not a big deal when i actually mix, because i preview and change the levels(gain, high, mid & low) anyway
but when i have vdj on automix and unattended ( when i'm playing pool ;-) )
it's a pain in the butt, i have to run back .........

a good example, i think, would be kanye west's gold digger
both versions, audio(radio edit) and video(promo only), when you play them the volume drops (is it only me ?)

it would be nice for those tracks to compensate the gain(by turning the little gain knob in vdj)
and be able to save it into the database

not sure if i made myself clear this time, hehe
if not, let me know

have a good week everybody~~~~~~,
matt

Posted Tue 21 Aug 07 @ 9:50 am
83%