Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: A look into the future.

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I know we are just stepping into the future of djing with MP3's and it has been a fun ride. From records and cassets (ouch and don't add 8 tracks) to CD's to MP3's. Can we immagine what is next? I can't. Maybe little microchips that play thousands of songs, oh we already have that. I just hope the computer generation doesn't wipe out the need for DJ's all together. IE: Preprogramming a night at a local club by a club owner or the purchase of a preprogrammed wedding reception complete with all equipment. What do you all think might come in the next say 10-15 years?

Posted Mon 27 Sep 04 @ 1:36 am
claxPRO InfinityMember since 2004
May be a virtual gig with a headphone at house ...

Posted Mon 27 Sep 04 @ 5:45 am
Hi
This is the future......8track to DAT been there done
that.I dont think it will be possible to replace the "live DJ"
even with the best programmers the will always be a demand
to have a person that has been there.Djing from a list and
doing it from experience are two different Paths.
No 2 persons are alike.Everybody has favorite songs thats the
bottom line.This applies from clubs right down to a house party
So even if you could program the best hits how would it be possible to forsee all the musical possibilities?Rest assurred
gentlemen we are here to stay!
In any party the is a mood setting,and this is the djs "power"
this is where the musical knowledge pays off.You the dj can
deciede when its time to sit ,talk,stand,dance,drink,dance,drink....and Leave..lol

Happy Tunes

Posted Mon 27 Sep 04 @ 1:01 pm
I think the the future will bring better compression techniques to mp3 or whatever replaces it, who knows, maybe soon compression will be so good that each track in our collection will include dvd quality video too (this would need to be aided by advancements in storage devices to)

I don't thing 'artifical intelligence' could replace a DJ, Dj's read a crowd and they react accordingly, they add there own distinctiveness to a set. No program could do that.

Posted Mon 27 Sep 04 @ 8:22 pm
keyonPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Course, we're biased but agreed, little can take the place of a good dj (tho a lot can take the place of a bad dj!). Computers won't be able to replace the experience and crowd reading abilites nor MC skills of a mobile dj. And computers won't be able to replace the passion and creativity of remix jocks.

Posted Tue 28 Sep 04 @ 1:27 am
keyon

You said it all for me a good DJ can only get better with the help of computers and software like VDJ. Computers and software have made it easyer for to take more music to make more people happy and thats good for business (make money!!!!) that way I can buy more toys. :).

Posted Tue 28 Sep 04 @ 5:58 am
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
I'm all for the software age, it gives you tools that enables you to get the sound you want quicker..., giving you more time for further creativity, communication, drinking etc.

It's programs like virtual dj that are going to change the mixing standard, you can pull off mixes that would be impossible to pull off on decks.., and very hard to pull off on cd decks (high risk of foul up).

I just imagine, the basics of mixing becoming easyer/quicker, leaving the tweaks, touches and fancy mixes more possible...

So the future, I think computers will be essential in every dj set-up, and their will be opportunity to make amazing mixes that impress, and make for a hotter dancefloor, perhaps one day be good enough to stop many people needing ilegal drugs to enjoy their night...

Posted Tue 28 Sep 04 @ 3:44 pm
claxPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Bagpuss;
Good philosophy. You're right it's time for people who uses drugs to dance to stop and enjoy reality.

Posted Wed 29 Sep 04 @ 3:45 pm
The future is bringing us better equipment & better sound!

Imagine:

Speakers which 'beam' the sound (much like a laser) to objects where they 'bounce off' and make it seem like the sound is coming from, oh, say, that trash can in the corner or a spot on the wall somewhere. Far fetched? Not! It's already in the works and available!

Technology is growing so rapidly that it has already made just about ANYONE into a DJ (VDJ sure helps!) with just a slight amount of practice (or, none at all!).

What's next?

Look for wireless speakers that are also POWERED wirelessly!! (again already in the works) Put those speakers anywhere you want and beam signals AND power to them!

Wearable subsonics to enhance music - Patrons can 'purchase' or 'rent' bone conductive music enhancers - again, wireless and battery powered these devices when placed on certain parts of the body will enhance sound to a new high (or should I say low?). Now you will REALLY be able to FEEL the beat without having to stand next to the subs!

Hey, who knows... maybe they can even make them with flashing lights!! hehe...

Posted Wed 29 Sep 04 @ 4:25 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)