Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: But does it look good? - Page: 4

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Cyderhouse: "This is the one thing that pcdjfx does that virtual dj does not...crashing all the time."

Preach on...I think we still have some who don't believe in the $aving power of VDJ—the best DJ software for the $$$.

OO

Posted Wed 29 Sep 04 @ 5:45 pm
DJ CyderPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2003
I really don't have any use for the pcdj fourms, I don't use their software anymore, and most of the people I know from there I talk to on the phone now.

Long Live Virtual DJ The best dj software on the planet.

Posted Wed 29 Sep 04 @ 8:42 pm
mp3jrickPRO InfinityHonorary MemberMember since 2003
Well I like the forums over there because it is one of two places that just djs like us congregate.
The Visio board was home base for a long time and I give back what I have learned there when I can.
When I started out there was no one for a long time willing to help me.
Most of those who helped me out are still on that board, just low profile.
I couldn't care less about the politics that don't directly effect me anymore.
I am positive they would wish things had been better along the way also. It's all water under the bridge now.

You can't get any more fair than offering customers their money back on something, ESPECIALLY software.
OTS sold me 2 copies and refused a refund despite marketing based on speculitive upgrades. And, features that were presented in the demo that to this day still don't work, which is skirting criminal IMO.

Most will remember the months/year prior to the release as a bit of a anticipation frenzie. Then there were leaks and peeks and pressure and delays and finally was released to the dissapointment of those using Red in the simplest of ways.
Now we had this massive program that most systems wouldn't run because they flat ran out of resources.
Well isn't that just the way?
You go to the 'puter game store and buy gifts for people only to find out the the latest games don't work on your system.
Not enough ram, wrong processor speed and so on...
Does that sound familiar?
For a company to create a program that is built for the future takes some giant leaps to achieve. You reach out as far as you can to build based on current systems capabilities knowing that next year the specs will double.
Yup, maybe their sights were a little high. Maybe they exceeded the needs of most mobile djs. Maybe, maybe, maybe, but they did try to produce something unique and special that nobody else had created.
They tried.
They continue to try.
They refuse to quit until it's right with every customer.
That's good enough for me to not hold a grudge of any kind.

I've said it many times, we will all look back in 5 years and laugh at the road we are on right now. And, I can't wait to see where it all goes personally.

Posted Wed 29 Sep 04 @ 10:40 pm
mp3jrick: “Sort of makes me wonder...............”

Double O: “I can’t tell you the whole story now, but…”

…I’ll post some more details when I get time.

mp3jrick: “The Visio board was home base for a long time…”

It was my home base also whenever I wasn’t being launched from there into cyberspace. However, I consider the VDJ forums home base now. I only visit the Visio board to check for updates to FX. Since I paid for FX, I expect Visio to F-i-X it.

OO

Posted Thu 30 Sep 04 @ 3:09 am
PCDJ is not going to fix it... I don't want to go back now. VDJ has given me all I need and more. I was bubba in the PCDJ forums. And $699.00 for FX, KJPro and Scratch VS $114 for VDJ that gives you all of the same. I learned my lesson. Anyone want to buy some slightly used PCDJ programs?? (just joking...) :) Any potential buyers that are contimplating buying VDJ ... Don't complain about the price just BUY IT. IT IS WELL WORTH EVERY PENNY!

Posted Thu 30 Sep 04 @ 4:36 am
I feel you on that VT

VDJ is like getting a caddy for the price of a focus :) Hats of to them and remeber this program is still young. I forsee it only getting better and better and better. They are pretty far ahead of the curve right now, can you imagine were we'll be in another year? Perhaps some spin offs are in order

Virtual KJ
Virtual VJ

we can only speculate :) I'd buy them all no questions asked!

Posted Thu 30 Sep 04 @ 5:51 am
Well now its my turn...Theskin....you know as a pro dj the
the turntables are the first thing that caught my attention
and the trial was enough of a hook to get me to buy this progam.Now 6 months later after all the digging and trials
this baby rocks,it still needs a lot of work but it is also the best one out there.Im almost 100% convinced that the laptop
will eventually replace the cd players but for now we still need
both,i am seriously considering buying another laptop and using two at work all the time.
Skin input:I like Jim Nordic's mixstation black i use this one all the time.Very cool with Ozone workstation.
Thanks Vdj...keep it up

Posted Thu 30 Sep 04 @ 8:34 am
I agree the default skin looks unprofessional and "toy" like. First thing I did was change it when I bought the full version. The demo version should include two skins. both cool looking, one 'easy' skin and one 'pro' skin with all the features possible. It would be nice to have bigger skins, too... not everyone has 1024x768 screens, One of my laptops has 1400x1280 and it's horrible having to work with a tiny window in the middle which won't resize.

When I say it looks toylike, I'm not commenting on the useability, just the design, which could turn a lot of pro/semipro off because a well designed (and pretty) interface shows attention to detail which can sometimes be extrapolated to show care in programming the software.

But more importantly the demo DOES NOT do everything the full version does. Worst of all it doesn't allow you to change the headphone/soundcard setup. This is suicide! I almost didn't buy it because I wasn't able to test this KEY feature. It was only through searching the forums that I was able to reassure myself... sure anyone can search the forums, but if you want to rely on that, what's the point in having a demo in the first place?

Posted Thu 30 Sep 04 @ 9:29 am
I really don't see the need to have sound card controls for a demo.
I think that the piracy would be through the roof if that were offered, you have to have some control over the features.
I had the demo overnight and woke to realize it's abilities.
The first thing I did was pay for it and load skins.
If it takes more than 20 days there is a problem somewhere else.
That is the most generous demo I have ever seen. If you have seen all the others you know what I mean. (oh that rhymes)
Having the ability to demo test live with tracks able to run full length is huge. Try getting the feel with one minute tracks as is the case with many demos.

I think the most important thing is to have a demo that looks good and is easy to operate.

Posted Thu 30 Sep 04 @ 3:32 pm
My point is you CAN'T demo test it with full tracks or otherwise, because you can't set it up to hear the setup track whilst the main mix is playing, which is something any serious DJ needs to do, otherwise how are you going to set up cue points and bar-match?

I agree there needs to be some control on piracy, but this isn't going to help. Pirates pirate full versions, not demo versions. The demo version could - for example, fade-out periodically to make it unsuitable for real use, but still be fully-featured and fully testable. Hell, at $99 the software isn't exactly expensive, either!

Anyway since I don't own the company and I already paid for mine, you might think the point is moot, but the more the company sells, the more money they'll have for improving an already excellent product, so I do care!

Posted Fri 01 Oct 04 @ 1:06 pm
Vantinedj: “PCDJ is not going to fix it... I don't want to go back now. VDJ has given me all I need and more. I was bubba in the PCDJ forums. And $699.00 for FX, KJPro and Scratch…”

After giving Visio $699 for useless software, you better hope it’s fixed! I paid only $99 for FX—I got the introductory offer. I almost bought PCDJ Scratch, but I scratched the idea when I considered my F-rustrating X-perience.

Cyderhouse: “VDJ is like getting a caddy for the price of a focus…”

Amen….

DJ Andre Landry: “The skin....you know as a pro dj the
the turntables are the first thing that caught my attention…”

I agree; since I started DJing years ago with two turntables (that didn’t have pitch control), I liked the look of seeing the evolution of DJing epitomized on my computer screen as two virtual turntables.

Lindseyp: “I agree the default skin looks unprofessional and ‘toy’ like.”

I disagree with these choice of adjectives. A better choice of adjectives in my opinion are semi-professional and unrealistic.

mp3jrick: “I think the most important thing is to have a demo that looks good...”

It would definitely help if it looked more professional.

Lindseyp: “But more importantly the demo DOES NOT do everything the full version does. Worst of all it doesn't allow you to change the headphone/soundcard setup. This is suicide! I almost didn't buy it because I wasn't able to test this KEY feature.”

I totally agree. How does a “professional” DJ mix with a demo that doesn’t offer this “professional” feature?—he can’t. Consequently, this important missing feature is what makes the demo unprofessional, not its appearance.

OO

Posted Mon 04 Oct 04 @ 6:27 am
so your saying you'd rather they do it like other dj software demos and crap out after 10 minutes?

Posted Mon 04 Oct 04 @ 7:12 am
No. However, there has to be other piracy preventive measures VDJ can use other than the inability to cue. Now let me ask you a question, “How does a professional DJ mix with a demo that doesn’t offer cueing?” I think a 10 to 15 minute professional experience is better than a 20 day unprofessional experience. VDJ could consider extending the "professional" demo time to 30 minutes.

OO

Posted Mon 04 Oct 04 @ 7:23 am
To follow up the issue of the inability to cue with the demo, we have to remember that it is more important for professional DJ’s (and any other potential buyers) to be more impressed with the performance of the demo than its look. Consequently, if VDJ wants to become a more enticing product (which generates $ell$), the ability to cue with the demo must be included in the evaluating process.

OO

Posted Mon 04 Oct 04 @ 11:46 am
I still contend that it is the most generous demo out there. And, having seen/bought others it took me less than 2 hours to realize the potential it offered, cueing or not.

You MUST have some limitations on demos with the quality hackers that are operating out there.

And the reality is, contrary to this thread, I bought VDJ on it's capabilities and limitations, despite the demo skin.

Posted Mon 04 Oct 04 @ 1:59 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)