Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: But does it look good? - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

mp3jrickPRO InfinityHonorary MemberMember since 2003
Well for some time now everytime I update my program I get the total displeasure of looking at one of the ugliest interfaces known to man.
With the only close competition being OTS and DJP.

You guys have the best dam program out there right now.
But from the outsider looking at that demo I would not be impressed.
In fact it might scare me off seeing what looks like comsumer grade software.
Sure the testimony is in the use of it, but still.
VDJ is 5 times what the demo skin gives it credit for.

What's up with this guys?
Get the credit you are due, make the demo shine like the program.

Oh well, there goes my status.
If there were only a forum that didn't allow rank and post stats it would be a better place.

Posted Tue 21 Sep 04 @ 9:50 pm
That's why we have a skins library.

OO

Posted Tue 21 Sep 04 @ 11:39 pm
HomeboyPRO InfinitySupport ManagerMember since 2003
Well Rick I believe we thrive on making the program simple to use. The developers have used the default skin because it is in fact that... It doesn't scare a beginner away. And to a more experienced DJ he or she has the ability to skin the software how he/she feels. I think that a program that looks simple but out perfoms is better than a confusing interface with no features.

Posted Wed 22 Sep 04 @ 2:06 am
I think that a lot of users would appreciate a new "lift" in the design of the default skin.

Posted Wed 22 Sep 04 @ 3:39 am
Dj Acadien wrote: "I think that a lot of users would appreciate a new "lift" in the design of the default skin."

I have made an alternative default skin for vdj. I did upload it to this site a few weeks ago, but they didn't publish it, so I put it on my own site. I guess it's probably not up to the standard, because they didn't publish it here, but I like it... :)

You can find my site in my profile.

Posted Wed 22 Sep 04 @ 8:49 am
I guess what I am saying is this, "first impression matters".
I'm sure you would rather court professional DJ's rather than noobs just looking for a decent mp3 player for their dorm. And, if that is the case you should rethink things. In the mp3 world currently VDJ is regarded as "consumer grade" software by some.

Yes it can be skinned, dah, but first peek is awfull.

And, with the resources being provided by Fruit and others it seems silly not to utilize some of those talents to improve the demo and make it shine like the program does.

That's all folks.............

Posted Wed 22 Sep 04 @ 10:03 am
interesting discussion :) but the default skin has developed some, maybe someone can make it "shine" even more...

But the first impression is very important... agree... :)
and the default skin could maybe be better....true

Posted Wed 22 Sep 04 @ 12:03 pm
HomeboyPRO InfinitySupport ManagerMember since 2003
Lodewijk

We have been very busy, I will take a look at your skin today and publish it after some tests.

Posted Wed 22 Sep 04 @ 1:40 pm
dj_cash for security reasons your message won't appear until a moderator has reviewed it.

Posted Wed 22 Sep 04 @ 2:30 pm
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Hi,
As the demo is heavily limited, I would agree that adding some of the better/most popular skins would only add to the pleasure and look of the software...

Personally, I would be useing traktor right now if vdj wasn't skinable, Fact. The point is the software only comes alive with the look you want and the settings, the demo can't and shouldn't offer all the settings, else it wouldn't be a demo, but a few skins thrown in would only add to the profitability of the software...

I think VDJ don't market because of some agreement with ejay, who do the cut down mixstation softwares, at a rediculously cheap price, ejay are king for marketing.., you see how vdj marketing heavily would compromise the success of both?,

Anyway, not to go off topic :)

But mp3rick, most users here will not agree entirely with your post because of the very reason you specified at the end of your post, regards

bagpuss

Posted Wed 22 Sep 04 @ 2:48 pm
erxonPRO InfinityMember since 2003
I agree that a default skin isn't really something impressive, I trully dissliked the coloring. And of course I don't find it very usefull, there are skins that have much better access to some functions and are more pleasent to an eye. But as this is a personal preference, the default skin should at least be improved a little. I liked the coloring of Lodewijks' skin very much (didn't download it though), but is more impressive than the default one. Could make a difference in way of professionals would look at the software before even trying it.

Posted Wed 22 Sep 04 @ 3:44 pm
BINGO!
Professional impression is exactly my point.

Bag, not sure which post you are referring to.

Developers; It was not my intent to make more work for you fellers, I know you are busy. But, I am on a mission to sell and convert as may guys to VDJ as possible and am just offering some positive (I hope) feedback. We all know how important 1st impressions are. It doesn't matter how neat the store is on the inside if the storefront is a sh!thouse.
People just won't come in, which defeats the whole objective.

It was news to me that the demo was limited.

Posted Wed 22 Sep 04 @ 4:13 pm
The demo is limited almost only by time... most other features are available.

Posted Wed 22 Sep 04 @ 4:23 pm
Glad to hear that, it is something I sell it with.
Nobody else has a demo that is fully functional for 20 days.

Posted Wed 22 Sep 04 @ 4:42 pm
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Yes the demo allows almost everything the full version offers.., except the dl of plugins etc from the site, and the time limit...,

but does it interupt after 15 minutes of use like atomixmp3?.

And the demo version is 2.02?, I thought it was maybe one of the earlier versions still...

But vdj is very very generous which is good for potential purchasers, or maybe not.., depends on how you look at it, they offer a great demo, a cheap cut down version distributed by ejay, and still reasonably cheap pro version...

mp3 rick, I was reffering to this statement: "Oh well, there goes my status. If there were only a forum that didn't allow rank and post stats it would be a better place."

Posted Wed 22 Sep 04 @ 5:09 pm
From a design standpoint, the default skin is totally gross. Horrible colors and toy-like graphic elements. I've not seen one person say they like it. (Tell us who you are!) In fact, the first thing I did after getting VDJ was change the skin, as I needed it for a gig right away and I would not be caught dead playing with the default. The skin is so bad that a mother wouldn't even love it. My guess is that noobs are turned on by what the program does and overlook the way it looks. People who actually play out need something that becomes them, not makes people skeptical. There are a couple nice looking, modest skins that still have all VDJ's features (I think). Why not get the author's permission and ship it with one of those?

The default skin seems very good at communicating what VDJ actually does, but imho Atomix should work on a more sophisticated presentation so that you don't scare away the average professional user.

Posted Wed 22 Sep 04 @ 6:27 pm
DachPRO InfinityMember since 2004
From the perspective of a new user (which I am):

When I was first looking for DJ software, I preferred PCDJ to Traktor (before I knew about VDJ), because I found Traktor's interface too confusing and intimidating. Later, when I discovered VDJ, the interface, while not my first choice for a color scheme, appeared powerful without being intimidating or cluttered. I use the Mixstation skin now, but I think, had that been the original skin, I would have passed on VDJ. The ability to hve the interface as simple or as complex as you want it to be is an asset that the other programs just don't have. The Graphite skin might have been a good choice.

As far as the trial goes, not being able to test how the program worked with 2 sound cards was a major stumbling block for me.

Däch
http://www.closedcaskets.com/

Posted Wed 22 Sep 04 @ 7:50 pm
DJ Homeboy, ofcourse I didn't mean to say you didn't do your job right when I talked about my skin not being published here, I really thought it didn't meet the standards. :)

And thanks people for the comments about my skin. It is on the skin page now (it's called Graphite, and is the 4th from the top). Woohoo! :)

Posted Wed 22 Sep 04 @ 8:25 pm
I don't agree that the default skin is bad. In fact although I've modified it slightly, it is my choice. And believe it or not, when some of my audience inquire about the software I show them another skin on the fly and they comment that they prefer the default.

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder", but it is a good argument that it is important for the skin to look as simple as possible..... simply elegant.

Something else I notice is that many of the vinyl djs that look on while I use vDJ are unsophisticated people from a computer perspective. It is part of the reason they are scared to make the move to Digital DJing and gravitate to the Timecode solutions if they make a move.

I think all of you advocatinig a more sophisticated default skin may be sophisticated PCers who are very comfortable with the PC and love to see many buttons and GUI options.

Think about it for a while....

p.s. personally I think the colors of the default skin are fine.

Posted Wed 22 Sep 04 @ 11:18 pm
claxPRO InfinityMember since 2004
I like the default skin design but I prefer other ones which are most usefulls.

In the default one I like the vinyls graphics.

The new graphite is very nice.

It would be cool to have a new skin with the default elements and the power of others like CDJ Pionneer, and Mixstation.

Clax

Posted Thu 23 Sep 04 @ 12:59 am
27%