Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: data noise laptop mixer

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

help...? i plug the laptop into the mixer and then into the amp to the speakers (easy), but i and two of my other freinds, have this data noise coming through the speakers, even when i unplug the laptop. from the phono plugs at the back of the mixer from the laptop it still makes the data sound so there is no connection between the laptop and the mixer (the data sound sounds like a zx spectrum loading something in," if you ever heard a zx spectrum" or dial up on the internet )this data noise you can here when you have no musik coming through the speakers, and you can even here it at about half volume but when it is on full you cant hear it, you cant play it as background music, i have even tried to move the mixer away from the laptop could you help, i have a creative PCMCIA audigy card2zs and a acer laptop withe a numark mixer thanks.

Posted Mon 29 Jan 07 @ 10:11 am
If the sound appears when the sound cables are not even connected to the mixer, this means you cables are not shielded properly.

Does the sound disappear when the mixer is not turned on, then the noise is being picked up inside the mixer. How about removing the line cables from the mixer, or removing them from the amps themselves (WHILE AMPS ARE TURNED OFF!!). If the sound remains the problem is with the amps internal shielding.
Its all a process of elimination! Try unplugging cables one at a time until the noise vanishes. You may even have a ground lift switch on your amps that needs to be switched to Grounded.

Posted Mon 29 Jan 07 @ 11:01 am
frd1963PRO InfinityMember since 2004
Try unplugging the laptop power adapter and run the laptop on battery. Most likely the noise is coming from your power adapter. I have had this happen to me in the past and here are some of the solutions I had to use. Some were more effective than others, and some can be used in combination with others.

- run on battery during low volume periods, and recharge the battery while playing loud (noise less noticeable)
- move the adapter as far as possible away from all audio equipment including cables
- put the power adapter in a metal coffee can for shielding (grounding the coffee can would probably be even more effective, but I haven't tried it.)
- use a ground lifter on the laptop power adapter
- get a new computer

Posted Mon 29 Jan 07 @ 4:06 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)