Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: I'm affraid to install VDJ, it says I only have 2X to install it.

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Ok, so I am ready to mess around with it, I got it for XMas, and all this talk about building the ultumate machine has givin me the itch to install it, and check out what it can do. I really don't want to though, cause the only computer that I have to install it on is my crap ass crap top, an averatec laptop, (Though this is the only computer that I have NOT had to reformat, its still a piece)

So I was just about to install it on this cpu, and read the EULA, and it says i'm alowwed to install it on this cpu, and one other and thats it. But what if I want to install it on my desktop (which as of today needs a reformat, and some other stuff to get up to snuff), and THEN install it on my motherload of a monster of a cpu???

should I just wait till I get my desktop in order and run it on there? I really want to try this thing out, and I don't want to just run the demo, cause I own the software, so I want to see its full potential.

Posted Mon 22 Jan 07 @ 11:43 pm
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
heya ,

http://www.virtualdj.com/fusers/modifuser.html

add your serial to get pro benifits

you can install on 2 computers you own aslong as they are not in use at the same time

you can uninstall and then install on the other as to your choosing as long as only 2 are installed at once

so dont be afraid to try it out :)

Posted Mon 22 Jan 07 @ 11:46 pm
Cool.

ut I don't understand, will the software just not work if I don't do that??? I mean, shyt I paid for the damn software, so you'd bet that i'm gonna register, but I mean what happens if I didn't register?? would the program just kick me out? If so, that would be a great way of blocking piracy. As a programmer, I can't stand when people mass pirate awesome software, and killer apps that should just be paid their dues...

Posted Mon 22 Jan 07 @ 11:52 pm
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004

Posted Mon 22 Jan 07 @ 11:56 pm
dj schmidty wrote :
...the only computer that I have to install it on is my crap ass crap top, an averatec laptop, (Though this is the only computer that I have NOT had to reformat, its still a piece)

You must be using a windows computer if it's such a piece of crap, as you put it. ;)

Remember, windows PC = windows Piece of Crap. =P

dj schmidty wrote :
But what if I want to install it on my desktop (which as of today needs a reformat, and some other stuff to get up to snuff)

Yup. Sounds like typical windows pc problems. =(

Okay, enough of that. Go here for more of that:
http://www.virtualdj.com/forums/62763/General_Discussion/The_Mac_vs_PC_thread_(only_open_thread_regarding_the_topic)_____).html?highlight=mac%20vs%20pc%20thread

Like sky said, make sure to register your copy of VDJ in your user profile here in the forums so that you can download all of the extras! =)

As far as the 2 installs, I was unaware of that. Then again, I only need to have it installed on 1 computer so it doesn't really matter to me, but good to know anyway.

Good luck with it and have fun with VDJ Pro, we know you will dj schmidty!

Posted Tue 23 Jan 07 @ 12:00 am
Wow Man!!!!!!!!!!!

Howwwwwwwwly shyt, I think I just found my next addiction. This program is SICK!!

K, haven't even done anything besides some house music, but it definetly takes a little getting used to to mix EVERY house track....

I guess what the program is trying to do is figure outwhat the bmp is of both tracks, and when I hit sync, it doesn't actually sync the song thats playing, and the loop of the cued song perfectly, but it gets them in the same bpm... So then I just nudge the pitch bend a few times till it gets perfect, and voala, its mixed. Freakin sweet.

K, well yes your right it is a Windows PC, but this thing shouldn't even be running anything right now. It takes 3 minutes to boot up, then another 2 minutes after I pick a user (Me or my dad, or guest) This thing is seriously underpowered, overused, and 3 years old. And you know the funny thing, yes I experienced a momentary "Brain Fart" from the computer for a short second, but other than that, it runs the program just fine. I think I will be getting myself a PC and stick to my roots. I know enough about PCs that if anything goes wrong I can fix it, and my craptop once I get it up to spec, will run this program problem free.

Posted Tue 23 Jan 07 @ 1:12 am
PionaraPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Hehehe...(",)

Welcome to our wonderful world....

P

Posted Tue 23 Jan 07 @ 1:14 am
dj schmidty wrote :
Wow Man!!!!!!!!!!!

Howwwwwwwwly shyt, I think I just found my next addiction. This program is SICK!!

Yeah. I KNEW you'd ike it! =)

K, haven't even done anything besides some house music, but it definetly takes a little getting used to to mix EVERY house track....

I guess what the program is trying to do is figure outwhat the bmp is of both tracks, and when I hit sync, it doesn't actually sync the song thats playing, and the loop of the cued song perfectly, but it gets them in the same bpm... So then I just nudge the pitch bend a few times till it gets perfect, and voala, its mixed. Freakin sweet.

dj schmidty wrote :
K, well yes your right it is a Windows PC, but this thing shouldn't even be running anything right now. It takes 3 minutes to boot up, then another 2 minutes after I pick a user (Me or my dad, or guest) This thing is seriously underpowered, overused, and 3 years old. And you know the funny thing, yes I experienced a momentary "Brain Fart" from the computer for a short second, but other than that, it runs the program just fine. I think I will be getting myself a PC and stick to my roots. I know enough about PCs that if anything goes wrong I can fix it, and my craptop once I get it up to spec, will run this program problem free.

Ok, that's cool. =)

But see, you only got the typical 2-3 years out of a windows pc (1/2 of a Mac's lifespan, and how many times did you have to re-install/re-format, defrag/optimize, purchase 3rd part maintenance software, etc. for that windows pc) and now you have to try and "salvage" it. A Mac would have worked reliably the entire time AND still last you several more years.

I know how to fix windows pc's too and "restore" them (even if it is the equivalent of putting a band-aid on a terminally ill patient) but my point is, "If it don't break, you don't have to fix it." The "windows" is broken.

But like I've said, ENJOY VDJ AS WE KNEW YOU WOULD! =)

Posted Tue 23 Jan 07 @ 1:51 am
hehe...

I guess it comes down to, what do you like to drive, a manual, or automatic??

I drive stick, I tinker with cars, i guess I like the idea that I know how to "Tune" a pc to what I want, and there is a bunch of info on this site alone on how to tune-up a pc for vdj, like making a partition just for the program, and minimizing the operations that the os has to do, like turning off unneeded shyt....

to each his own..

Posted Tue 23 Jan 07 @ 2:53 am
dj schmidty wrote :
to each his own..

Indeed. Like I said, it was just an FYI.

ENJOY VDJ dj schmidty! =)

Posted Tue 23 Jan 07 @ 3:05 am
What is this, there's a limit to the number of computers you can install on now? When I bought in (v3.2) my lisence said the serial number could not be transferred over a network, I believe implying I could install on say the 30 computers I used if it were the case.

Has that changed?

Posted Tue 23 Jan 07 @ 8:21 pm
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
The licensing changed at version 4.0

Posted Wed 24 Jan 07 @ 1:14 am
OK, good to know. But am I ok with multiple sytems if I bought in @ 3.2 or am I now breaking the rules?

Posted Wed 24 Jan 07 @ 1:30 am
Technically speaking - are you within the following conditions?

- This license gives you the right to install and use the software on a maximum of two computers, by one person.

You are granted one license to:

- install and use the Software on one computer.
- install and use the Software on a second computer, if this computer is normally used by the same person and the Software will not be used on both computers at the same time.
- make back-up copies of the Software for archival purposes.

Posted Wed 24 Jan 07 @ 1:35 am
So it sounds like with the update, I agreed to the new lisencing? Am I going to have to read the lisence now with every update?

Also, I coulda sworn I heard a VDJ rep @ the Atlantic City Expo last year say 4.0 could be installed on as many computers as someone wanted. But 4.2 that is now different...? Even though 4.2 is essentially 4.0.

I just want to be sure I understand so I don't have issues.

Posted Wed 24 Jan 07 @ 1:41 am
The licensing changed to come in alignment with what was being marketed with Numark (CUE and VirtualVinyl)

As to the VDJ rep @ Atlantic City -- can't comment on that one; other than - doesn't matter what goes out by word of mouth - it's what is in writing that counts.

Posted Wed 24 Jan 07 @ 1:53 am
elite1PRO InfinityMember since 2005
It may have changed, but it doesn't mean it 'will not work' on more than 2 computers. I had installed 4.0(4.2 now) on 3 (2 desk tops and 1 laptop) machines after AC and have since updated all 3 very easily and have had all 3 running at the same time. It's not like each machine knows the other has it running and they are not connected to the internet or to any type of Virtual DJ server to detect when they are on and running. I'm not sharing my copy with anyone, just seeing which system runs it the best, using one for playback only and the others for analyzing or ripping. I almost always have 2 computers with me at an event regardless so I have backup too.

Oh, and BTW....the rep in AC that said that is the OWNER, not just one of the sales people.

Posted Wed 24 Jan 07 @ 11:40 pm
Yes, you can physically load it on as many pc's as you can get your hands on and it will work just fine....but it is ILLEGAL TO DO SO. Just like you can download mp3s over files sharing but you are breaking the law when you do.............Please guys, respect the copywrite agreements so Virtual Dj serial numbers are all we need to install the program we do NOT want Virtual Dj to start using sum inconvenient, stupid copy protection liek PCDJ has that takes FOREVER for them to reset your codes if something happens to your computer and you need to reinstall it (I waited 4 weeks and contacted then 6 times before they reset my codes after I had my laptop stolen and had to reinstall the software on a new one).

Posted Mon 29 Jan 07 @ 1:54 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)