Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: External Hard drive. - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

Man, sorry for double psoting but i really need quick help. I need to get a second external hard drive. Problem is that my laptop won't let me hook up more than one HD to it simultaneously. Say for instance if my itunes music library is on an external & when i wanna update my ipod, i'm screwed. Now that i'm getting a second drive, I was wondering if getting one with firewire would solve this problem, & if not, is there a certain type of hard drive I should get. I saw one with a usb INPUT for plugging in any other usb device's you'd have.

Posted Sat 16 Dec 06 @ 4:38 pm
mainedjPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Do you need a second one, or just a bigger hd?
You may have to get a fairly large one with firewire, and then use the usb port for your ipod.
I could be wrong though.

Posted Sat 16 Dec 06 @ 5:02 pm
Man, I feel sooo stupid. My problem was that my laptop was assigning the same name to my hardrives, that's why they wouldn't work together. Thanks for your help though.

Posted Sat 16 Dec 06 @ 5:12 pm
my laptop does that but only if i hook into a hub.....i run outta usb and firewire cuz i have an ext hd a usb cooler fan (which does have a daisy chain hookup) the presonus firebox (firewire) wireless mouse. so at home not at a gig if i print something i hook up the hub and i discovered that weird things can happen that way, like the ext hd changes letters....

Posted Sun 17 Dec 06 @ 1:42 am
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
i feel ur pain lol

my pc kept doing that with alot of drives

any ways

so i now use a free program called freenaz wihich is like a special os for a spare pc you might have and it makes this spare pc into just a network storage device

folks might wana try it if they use networking or are a radio station or what ever and have alot of music

Posted Sun 17 Dec 06 @ 1:50 am
ok 500 gig hd - $200 costom airbrush case - $30 and one remixed cd for the artist. One lap top $ 3oo and the look on the old dj as i slam his mix while in my rolling vibrating office chair .. Priceless for everything else there your moms master card or the ex girl friends or the guy next door or the one sent to your dog..

Posted Sun 17 Dec 06 @ 7:25 am
tycoonentertainmentcanada wrote :
ok 500 gig hd - $200 costom airbrush case - $30 and one remixed cd for the artist. One lap top $ 3oo and the look on the old dj as i slam his mix while in my rolling vibrating office chair .. Priceless for everything else there your moms master card or the ex girl friends or the guy next door or the one sent to your dog..

Crack is bad for your health.

Posted Sun 17 Dec 06 @ 8:43 pm
ok, the problems back again. I just got a 160GB external drive. It works fine but when i plug in my other 100GB drive to syncronize them, windows unplugs the first drive & says it doesn't recognize it. But if i connect 30GB ipod & either hard drive, they work fine together. Help.

Posted Mon 18 Dec 06 @ 3:22 am
prehaps you are you using all of that usb controlers bandwith

try another port or card

Posted Mon 18 Dec 06 @ 3:41 am
i've tried all 4 ports.

Posted Mon 18 Dec 06 @ 3:44 am
Anybody ever had this problem?

Posted Mon 18 Dec 06 @ 5:08 am
tycoonentertainmentcanada wrote :

$149.99 + Free Ship
Maxtor MaXLine Pro 500 7H500F0 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822144016

Posted Mon 18 Dec 06 @ 5:54 am
Plug in the drives, Rebooting, then do a hardware search.

Check device manager for (?)

Posted Mon 18 Dec 06 @ 6:00 am
paulettecerra wrote :
Plug in the drives, Rebooting, then do a hardware search.

Check device manager for (?)

Done That.

Posted Mon 18 Dec 06 @ 6:26 am
You don't see any (?) in device manager

Posted Mon 18 Dec 06 @ 6:32 am
Are you using a power strip.. If so Plug one of the drive kits into a different wall socket

Posted Mon 18 Dec 06 @ 6:45 am
paulettecerra wrote :
You don't see any (?) in device manager

No, cause when I plug in the second hd it automatically ejects the first one.

Posted Mon 18 Dec 06 @ 10:41 am
do you have another computer ?

to try it on

Posted Mon 18 Dec 06 @ 11:26 am
I decided to hook up the back up hard drive to another computer & do the syncs wirelessly through the network. kinda slow but it'll only be transferring chunks of files as i'm updating my library so it kinda works out. The other option would have been to re-install windows & maybe solve the usb conflict but it's too much work for now.

Posted Mon 18 Dec 06 @ 4:17 pm
good to here

il do some research for you :)

Posted Mon 18 Dec 06 @ 4:22 pm
42%