Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: External Hard drive. - Page: 2

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

thanks

Posted Mon 18 Dec 06 @ 5:49 pm
i had the same issue with one of my usb hard drives the company that made it had there own crap files already on it , i tryed it for 2 hours and then took it back. hard drive 320 gig 109.00 memory express in calgary , get a usb case and you will never have another issue , the case is only 49.o0 and it never lets me down ,"ever"

Posted Mon 18 Dec 06 @ 11:00 pm
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
have u tried formating the external drive?

Posted Mon 18 Dec 06 @ 11:09 pm
skyfxl wrote :
have u tried formating the external drive?

yeah, i reformatted both of them. They work fine individually. Clearly it's a usb issue. don't think it's power cause they're both externally powered.

Posted Tue 19 Dec 06 @ 12:32 am
ok il keep thinking

Posted Tue 19 Dec 06 @ 1:10 am
OK, I give up. I re-installed windows, still no luck. This is wierd. An ipod and either hard drive sync fine but the two hard drives together won't. Maybe it's because of their sizes?

Posted Tue 19 Dec 06 @ 5:11 am
Are The drive kit’s from the same manufacturer.

Switch hard drive with the drive kits.

Have you tried a hub?

Posted Tue 19 Dec 06 @ 10:31 am
paulettecerra wrote :
Are The drive kit’s from the same manufacturer.Switch hard drive with the drive kits.Have you tried a hub?

one's an HP & one's a maxtor. what do you mean drive kits? I haven't tried a hub yet.

Posted Tue 19 Dec 06 @ 2:14 pm
Mantahoe wrote :
paulettecerra wrote :
Are The drive kit’s from the same manufacturer.Switch hard drive with the drive kits.Have you tried a hub?

one's an HP & one's a maxtor. what do you mean drive kits? I haven't tried a hub yet.

A drive kit is what you put a hard drive in that connects to a computer via USB/FIREWIRE…
It’s a lot cheaper to parches a Hard Drive and put it in a drive kit.. Most hard drive kit come with a built in fan that keep larg drive cooler. I haven’t seen any external drives that come with a fan in the case..

Posted Wed 20 Dec 06 @ 1:24 am
I know it shouldn't make a difference being that they are both usb harddrives but are the jumpers or Dipswitches on the harddrives set for master or slave? Perhaps setting your full one up as master and your new one up as slave might help your usb conflict.

As i said it really should not matter - but what the hell - any port in a storm.

Posted Wed 20 Dec 06 @ 1:37 am
aslo try CS (cable select) if it still fails after this

what did you format it as nfts or fat 32?

Posted Wed 20 Dec 06 @ 1:40 am
MASTER

Posted Wed 20 Dec 06 @ 1:40 am
DJ Marcel_1 wrote :
I know it shouldn't make a difference being that they are both usb harddrives but are the jumpers or Dipswitches on the harddrives set for master or slave? Perhaps setting your full one up as master and your new one up as slave might help your usb conflict.

As i said it really should not matter - but what the hell - any port in a storm.

what r jumpers & dipswitches, cause i don't think i have any.

Posted Wed 20 Dec 06 @ 3:25 am
skyfxl wrote :
aslo try CS (cable select) if it still fails after this

what did you format it as nfts or fat 32?

ntfs. What is cable select.

Posted Wed 20 Dec 06 @ 3:25 am
cable select

instructs the os and bios to look at where the drive is and work out wheter it should be a master or secondary and how to best run it

its a jumper setting :)

Posted Wed 20 Dec 06 @ 3:52 am
Jumpers - they are little pins are at the rear of the actual hard drive itself there is a little peice of wire that usally connects two of these pins - wrapped in a very small plastic "case"

On the hard drive there will be a sticker with a stylized drawing of these pins and will tell you which way to insert the jumper. It will either be as "master" or "slave/secondary" and a few others.

Dipswitches - these are little switches that are usually on the rear of a device that you are allowed to set. Again there will be a diagram that tells you which switches to turn on or off to set for master/slave operation. this is a little older so your harddrive might only have the jumpers. Oh yes they are very small so you might have to flick them with a pencil.

When I moved my second Hard drive from external to internal mounted I had to ajust the jumper to allow for it to be aoperated as a slave drive. Felt kinda silly cause I should have read the hard drive label itself, told me right on it.

DJ Marcel
Purple Onion NightClub

Posted Wed 20 Dec 06 @ 4:12 am
So, are you saying I should open my Hard drive? Cause I will.

Posted Wed 20 Dec 06 @ 4:28 am

Posted Wed 20 Dec 06 @ 4:44 am
Not Nessesarily open the hard drives.

As I said windows should reconize the new usb drive as another mass storage device and just assigned it a letter. I was just suggesting that this might make a difference but in usb terms it really shouldn't.

Read the manual for your new drive and it should tell you the deal.

I have my two drives working off the IDE bus so one had to be assigned as a slave. Not sure if it works the same for USB.

DJ Marcel
Purple Onion NightClub

Posted Wed 20 Dec 06 @ 8:08 am
DJ Marcel_1 wrote :
Not Nessesarily open the hard drives.

As I said windows should reconize the new usb drive as another mass storage device and just assigned it a letter. I was just suggesting that this might make a difference but in usb terms it really shouldn't.

Read the manual for your new drive and it should tell you the deal.

I have my two drives working off the IDE bus so one had to be assigned as a slave. Not sure if it works the same for USB.

DJ Marcel
Purple Onion NightClub

USB is MASTER

Posted Wed 20 Dec 06 @ 8:44 am
83%