Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: DMX Lighting

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
I'm interested in buying some lighting equipment for my mobile gigs.
How does VDJ controlls the lights?. Do i need a DMX Controller?. What kind of?. Should it have midi or USB connection?
Any links would be apreciated too.

Enlight me ... thanks

Posted Tue 12 Dec 06 @ 12:16 am
mp3jrickPRO InfinityHonorary MemberMember since 2003

Posted Tue 12 Dec 06 @ 12:39 am
funnyb0nzPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2006
DJDAD,
If you dont find what your looking for PM, I got into this some time ago. Bought nice dmx controller. I can tell you everything that I have bought.

Posted Tue 12 Dec 06 @ 4:02 am
@mp3jrick
Are U telling me that VDJ can not handle DMX signals, and i need DMX Controller AND DMX software?

Posted Tue 12 Dec 06 @ 7:10 pm

VDJ has built in DMX support.
For controlling lights.

But you need a DMX usb box, that is compatible

Posted Tue 12 Dec 06 @ 7:12 pm
mp3jrickPRO InfinityHonorary MemberMember since 2003
Here is a starter guide for dmx.

http://www.cheaplights.com/dmxguide.html

The program will support dmx transmissions but you have to assign every movement and color.
It is a basic communicator that will take some time to set up with some limitations.

The program I listed and use has "fixtures" or a library of lights with pre-assigned movements, gobos and colors that accurately conform to the light in use. Another feature is "macros" or programmed sweeps, pans and color, gobo changes that can be activated with one button.

I am not convinced that using vdj for dmx is the right thing to do while running mixing music or particularly video at the same time. I prefer to do the lighting on my laptop, so the second program isn't in conflict particularly while doing video when vdj freezes the monitor.

Like any software, there is a learning curve that requires time spent before the benefit is returned.
I started with dmx because the sound active lighting as good as it was, get predictable after a while.
And that is what makes dmx so worthwhile.

Rick

Posted Tue 12 Dec 06 @ 7:56 pm
Thank you mp3jrick
very usefull link. I think i got the basics.

Posted Tue 12 Dec 06 @ 11:02 pm
Do I need lighting control software AND vdj or can vdj do it all. I want to have a different light show per vob on VDJ.
apart from the dongle to convert usb, the lights, what else do i need to do this

Posted Thu 28 Dec 06 @ 11:11 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)