Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Plugins

Topic: Dac 2 Mapper - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

I was just wondering How does one make Daniels dac-2 mapper compatible with v4.1r1?
I'm stuck using v3.4 untill I can get my dac-2 to work the way that I've learned it. I do not know how to program in C++ otherwise I might have given it a whrill myself.

anybody given this some thought?

P.S. I only use audio, no video at the club - Owners aren't interested

DJ Marcel
Purple Onion Nightclub

Posted Sun 19 Nov 06 @ 7:00 pm
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
I was told that he was going to put his mapper out for 4.1.
BTW, you can go to 4.0 and the mapper still works. In 4.1 the mapper changed.
Also, I can code in C++ but I have never put together a C++ project for a DLL. I have asked for some help but not gotten any positive feedback - as I would like to make Daniels mapper as well. But, don't loose out on the 4.0 quality - upgrade to it.

Posted Mon 20 Nov 06 @ 2:57 am
pernPRO InfinityMember since 2004
I will soon release my Audio optimized DAC 2 mapper with no Video features also. And if Daniels doesn't convert hes mapper to VDJ 4.1 i can look at that also.

Posted Mon 20 Nov 06 @ 8:06 am
thanks Pern , This stuff must take a lot of your time.

So If nobody else says it: Your efforts are noticed, and Appreciated.

DJ Marcel
Purple Onion NightClub

Posted Thu 23 Nov 06 @ 5:06 pm
Np , I'm happy to do it.

Just got a lot to do on my normal work at the moment also. That's the reason for the delay.

Posted Thu 23 Nov 06 @ 6:22 pm
Just wondering about the audio version of the Dac-2 mapper?
Anyone had a chance to look itno this - or has Daneil himself looked at this?

or is this a hint to get a dac-3 ? ;P

Posted Mon 25 Dec 06 @ 3:45 am
Marcel - I wish daniels would redo his mapper for the new configuration. I know pern is doing well with his, but for those of us that used daniels we know what a rough change would be. I have tried to get daniels methods in the mapper from pern, but it's just not going well.

If someone would be nice enough to provide a proper C++ project shell for the DAC2, I would gladly figure out the code. But, it's been so long since I have done C++ that it would be rough trying to get started, well I guess there is no time like the present...

cstoll

Posted Mon 25 Dec 06 @ 4:37 am
Additionally, dac 2 has some limitations. You cannot press e.g.
CUE, PLAY, -, + and MATCH at the same time.
They are on the same bus, with different resistors hooked to them.

Similar for other buttons,
therefore it requires you to know it in order to detect some strange combinations.

Not simply detect is CUE and PLAY pressed. I noticed that daniels used some logic to detect some strange states (i thing by detecting the the previous buton was not released so he assumes it is still held).

Don't know the details, but if someone will try to reverse engineer it, it won't be easy.
And please notice that Daniels promised to release his source code just after atomix will fix the problem in vdj preventinf plugins from using additional LEDS!!!
There was no response from the dev team just insisting on releasing the source code from some people.

Also daniels wrote that he has newer version that also has ability to search a database in some way i think.

so PLEEEEEEEASE if it's possible ENABLE usage of additional leds DEVTEAM.
In the post there were exactly the command neccessary to be sent do DAC2.
I think in VDJ code there's only a check whether the led number is not too high and it's neccessary to modify this check and leave it to the plugin developer if he tries to use higher led number for dmc and crash it. (the difference between dac2 and DMC1).

Posted Mon 25 Dec 06 @ 7:33 pm
lopez453 wrote :
Additionally, dac 2 has some limitations. You cannot press e.g.
CUE, PLAY, -, + and MATCH at the same time.
They are on the same bus, with different resistors hooked to them.

Similar for other buttons,
therefore it requires you to know it in order to detect some strange combinations.

Not simply detect is CUE and PLAY pressed. I noticed that daniels used some logic to detect some strange states (i thing by detecting the the previous buton was not released so he assumes it is still held).

Don't know the details, but if someone will try to reverse engineer it, it won't be easy.
And please notice that Daniels promised to release his source code just after atomix will fix the problem in vdj preventinf plugins from using additional LEDS!!!
There was no response from the dev team just insisting on releasing the source code from some people.

Also daniels wrote that he has newer version that also has ability to search a database in some way i think.

so PLEEEEEEEASE if it's possible ENABLE usage of additional leds DEVTEAM.
In the post there were exactly the command neccessary to be sent do DAC2.
I think in VDJ code there's only a check whether the led number is not too high and it's neccessary to modify this check and leave it to the plugin developer if he tries to use higher led number for dmc and crash it. (the difference between dac2 and DMC1).

This LED issue was resolved with the NEW mapper engine, so kind of a mute point if that is still the issue. I know this for a fact since Pern's and the generic VDJ mapper use the LEDs very well. As to reverse engineering, I don't think that is a problem as there are things that Pern is doing that could greatly enhance what daniels had done.

I think one of the things that alot of the user's of daniels mapper is missing from Perns is the ablility to set multiple CUE points (up to 5 as in daniels mapper) using the CUE button

Pern, I appreciate what you have done, it's just that certain features are key for me - I will have to adjust eventually I am sure but that just means finding other ways to do things. I am not giving up on my DAC2, it has enough of what I need and I can't justify the DAC3 - considering I am making the leap to the iCDXs.

But I just wanted to voice my 2 cents on this.

cstoll

Posted Tue 26 Dec 06 @ 2:23 am
As far as I know Perns Mapper does not use the additional LEDs in question. That would be the Loop LED and the FX LEDs. We just need the LED codes. IE 0x00 is the Play LED, 0x01 is the Play LED and 0x02 Is the Match LED. I must pop Pern a message regarding the pitch sliders though.

Does anyone know the codes for the extra LEDS, as they have not yet been used on a mapper, we have no way of knowing what the codes are for them. If they have been activated with the the 4.1 the only person that knows the codes is the Devs. From memory the codes used in the mappers is the end (or beginning!) of the HEX codes in the REAL addresss used for the dac, but the two new leds, have the same ending (or begining) as other leds?

Posted Tue 26 Dec 06 @ 11:15 am
Led's flashing don't mean a thing to me.

what's important is functionality.

Pern's mapper has some fantastic functions - like moving a song from the recordacase to the playlist and scrolling the playlist with the dac2 - Brilliant.

Daniel's mapper I like the way hot cues are set and jumped to - with the group buttons. loops being handled with the +/- buttons and loop in/out button.

I guess in a perfect world I would like pern's waitlist browsing and daniels hot cueing and looping.

But this isn't a perfect world and so far I'll stick with 3.4 untill I learn pern's mapper well enough to use it live.

DJ Marcel
Purple Onion NightClub

Posted Tue 26 Dec 06 @ 8:06 pm
That's my point, what's important is functionality.

The more feedback we can get from the DAC, the easier it will be on everyone. The screen only has so much info we can use to tell the user what VDJ is doing, the use of the extra LEDs will allow the use of other key combos, without confusing the user so much.

Posted Wed 27 Dec 06 @ 12:07 am
halo - the point isn't the visual cues it's the functions as you and Marcel have pointed out. I could care less about a visual blinking LED. Daniels mapper didn't have it and don't really care if Pern's does. People get wrapped up in to many little things, the buttons are what makes the DAC work not the blinky lights. As Marcel pointed out about Daniels mapper is the key.

If people are holding back because of blinky lights then I guess Atomix should never get rid of the CBG or the Waveform from the skin or no one would know how to mix a track by using their ears!!!

As a Sound Engineer for bands, I always tease the Drummers about having to hear their Kick drum in their monitor(s). They say it helps them keep rhythm and I ask them why they don't know that their foot just went down on the peddle, it's it attached to their leg?

Sorry for the rant.
cstoll

Posted Wed 27 Dec 06 @ 7:13 am
"I think one of the things that alot of the user's of daniels mapper is missing from Perns is the ablility to set multiple CUE points (up to 5 as in daniels mapper) using the CUE button"

With my current beta you can set/goto up to 9 CUE points.

As soon as i get back from my vacation i will finish it and release it.

I have also started to to convert daniels mapper to the new VDJ version.

Posted Wed 27 Dec 06 @ 9:43 am
moramaxPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005
i'd like to remember this function that is required for professional use....
if the pitch of the skin is different from controller-pitch and you move the controller-pitch the skin-pitch must stay fixed while controllet-pitch=skin-pitch(linked)
For my opinion this function is raccomandend required.
i've already speak with pern about this and i know that he's working around.

Posted Wed 27 Dec 06 @ 10:23 am
@moramax

That will be fixed in the release.

Posted Wed 27 Dec 06 @ 10:38 am
moramaxPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005
thanks pern!:)
infact for now it's very difficoult use VirtualDJ 4 in live with DAC2!!!

Posted Wed 27 Dec 06 @ 10:52 am
moramax wrote :
thanks pern!:)
infact for now it's very difficoult use VirtualDJ 4 in live with DAC2!!!

Because I love to keep the video features of the mapper, at the moment I just Predict where I think the software slider is, then quickly move the controller slider there. Usually the best time is when there's no vocals, or even a quiet patch in the music. 99% of the time I get away with it, most people don't hear a quick tempo change providing it returns to where it used to be, they just think it's in their heads!

Posted Wed 27 Dec 06 @ 11:48 am
UNfortuanatly for me the club owners have no interest in video. I use audio only - not nesserarily a bad thing - but the video portion of VDJ is going to be implemented in the form of Drink special anouncments, timers and I might put a slide show up that sort of thing. It's unfortunate that is the case at my club but C'est La Vie.

I'm practicing with pern's method of handling hot cues with the dac2 It's tricky; takes practice. Then again I prefer the K.I.S.S methodology to everything I do.

Keep
It
Simple
Stupid

Pern - you do wonderfull work - the playlist/waitlist fuction - that's dead brilliant.

DJ Marcel
Purple Onion Nightclub

Posted Wed 27 Dec 06 @ 4:46 pm
The VIDEO stuff takes a lot of combinations in my current mapper. That's why i also will release a audio optimized version. And not only a daniels clone. The current beta dosn't have the same Hot Cue as in the released version, the new handles up to 9 different set/goto positions. I'm at the moment changing that also a little bit to be easier to work with since i also prefer the KISS way.

But it's really hard to do a mapper that everyone likes ;-) And since the mapper have diffrent "modes" i cant just add a user interface to change things. So, at the moment i think that a couple of different versions is the only way.

Posted Wed 27 Dec 06 @ 5:31 pm
83%