Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Stanton Final Scratch V 2.0 -VS.- VDJ 4.0 - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

Can somone please explain to me the pros and cons of Stanton Final Scratch V2.0 VS. VDJ 4.0. and why I should stick w/ VDJ, and not convert to Stanton Final Scratch....money is no issue at this point...

Posted Sun 01 Oct 06 @ 6:23 am
funnyb0nzPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2006
Since your a licensed user, what is making you consider final scratch? I used to own final scratch and did not like it. I ended up switching to Serato, however I than also tried out VDJ because of karaoke and also video. Now with 4.0 the sound quality is the same with my serato, I love the ability to use the midi of my ecler and mix video, and also have a sampler. This is something that you dont have with final scratch. So if you already own VDJ, my question to you would be why do you want to spend money on something else? Why not use the money and invest it into speakers/mixer/turntables?
Like yourself, money is no object. However since the release of 4.0 (just waiting for the midi fix for the ecler nuo4) my serato will be up for sale. I paid 500 for serato, and 149 for vdj 3.4 with free upgrade to 4.0. I use dennon 3500's with the ecler nuo4 with QSC for my speakers. Honestly since the release of 4.0, serato was a waste of money. It does a portion of the capabilities of VDJ4.0

That is my opinion and I have owned Final Scratch 2.0, Serato SSL, and VDJ4.0

Posted Sun 01 Oct 06 @ 8:23 am
@funnybonz, nuff said! Wonderful explanation, my words exactly. It's only a matter of time before everybody else realizes VDJ has more to offer and get on board.

Posted Sun 01 Oct 06 @ 8:51 am
good explanation, VDJ just need a little more fixing,

Posted Sun 01 Oct 06 @ 4:24 pm
I was at a club last Saturday where this dj uses Serato. I mean like a big club, this dj plays on fm here so this place was kinda packed, anyway he was looking for a song he couldn't find on his main drive so he decided to import it from another drive while playing & well you know what comes next. The thing froze up and had to reboot. With the right hardware, configuration & brains, just like Serato, VDJ will work fine.

Posted Sun 01 Oct 06 @ 4:48 pm
Dj XeoPRO InfinityMember since 2005
you were in the booth, nice one i would love to see a big time DJ at work

i completely aggree that there isnt realy much that other softwares do that you cant in VDJ. my only real point against VDJ is that the timecode could be more stable and track better (why are timestamps not read in reverse? do people not back-cue and back-spin?)

Posted Mon 02 Oct 06 @ 2:02 am
@dj Xeo, do you use the new TCV's with software riaa preamp off? Cause the backspin is completely solid for me. The old TCV's just have a crappy backspin/backtrack like you said.

Posted Mon 02 Oct 06 @ 2:25 am
I've been using both here for a while, and I have to say, I'm more used to VDJ, but serato has one tremendous advantage, that I'd like to see VDJ pick up on....

in serato, the wave form turns colors based on beats and syllabels. if you're watching the track and the vocal says "like woah..." the word like will be peach and the word woah will be blue... it's great when you're scratching, or trying to cue back to a word visually... you can almost do it with no headphones in serato.....

I prefer VDJ, but would like to see that color thing in VDJ... very nice feature......

-Steve

Posted Mon 02 Oct 06 @ 3:12 am
To answer funnyb0nz question why -

I love VDJ and have been a solid supporter of Atomix for along time now...it's just with this new VDJ 4.0 there is alot of bugs to be fixed like...alot of the sound effects I want to download don't download. Also, I'm having trouble recording w/ the sound effects that I have been able to download. For example using the echo sound effect, it messes up in my recordings, along with other sound effects too.

I was just wondering if there is anything better about Final Scratch. I do own Stanton turntables already and I have a Denon DN-x100 mixer. I'm aware that Final Scratch comes with the software, tcvs, and an audio interface with ready to record capabilities. Things that VDJ did not include. VDJ advised people who want to use TCV's get the Maya 44 Usb interface...and I of coarse did purchase the Maya 44 ...not knowing I wouldn't be able to record with my setup. So, now I need to buy a new interface so I'm able to record with my TCVs.. So I was just thinking if I have to spend more money why not just try out Final Scratch this time.

Posted Mon 02 Oct 06 @ 5:36 am
you can record your mixes ...u just need a program like soundforge orsomething. and a rca to 1/8 audio cable; plug rca's to output (record out) of mixer then plug 1/8 plug into cpu soundcard (mic or line in )u can then record .(u might have to open volume control properties on cpu to make sure the right source is checked for recording.

i like soundforge cause even when u record in vdj u can open ur mixes and insert track markers wherever u want a new track then record it to a cd right in the program. ;-) .u can even edit parts u don't want o the cd heheh.

Posted Mon 02 Oct 06 @ 2:51 pm
Ohm_RSAPRO InfinityMember since 2006
@atxwreckz

I used to use FS1.5 before switching to VDJ (I use TCV's). I weighed up the options of FS2, MixVibes and Serato.

Here's some of the things that might help, this is from my point of view when choosing a tcv system

FS2:
Pro's:

All-in-one solution for TCV
With Traktor 3:
Better beat looping (sorry it is better)
Changeable mixer controls
Customisable Browser (add/remove columns)
Nice tweakable effects
Loop pool library
Few options in TCV config, less fiddling

Cons:

Need to buy Traktor 3 to get any useable functionality
Limited to built in FX, cant add more
Too many changing buttons in fx - clumsy to program midi/keyboard
No skins - limited to default interface
Limited to scratch amp
I never liked the record library, had to set genre tags to be able to organize my collection - sucky
Scratch amp firewire (most laptops have 1 FW port, if it goes BANG ur screwed)
[Note: FW might seem to be a plus but check the scratchworx review, better latency with USB Serato!!)
Utterly horrendous treatment of customers
Poor support, forums help but nowhere near as friedly and helpful as VDJ :)
I am hearing rumours that this product has been discontinued, no proof tho!
No free upgrade to the next version, you will get shafted for it!

VDJ:

Pro's:

Good value.
Found it to be VERY stable
Latency MUCH better than FS & MixVibes
U46DJ Card I bought I use for recrding/production
Can skin VDJ from top to bottom - made my own skin so it works MY way!
Multiple FX (alltho V4 has killed off 2 of my fav's - sob)
Functionality extends WAY beyond simple TCV interface (Just check the "JN" skins") - as advanced as you want it really!
Simple keyboard and midi programming
VDJ4 -> Dual waveform much easier to understand!
Wonderful community support!
Smart browserLOOKS IN THE DIRECTORIES WHERE THE FILES ACTUALLY ARE!! =D
Choose to use ID3 tags or not

Cons:

Beat-looping not as accurate as Traktor.
Lots of performance options - more fiddling INITIALLY (once you have fiddled and got it working - it works - period)
While I had no problems with my ESI, I have seen a few people that needed help with other sound cards - this comes with the territory I suppose!
Not enough info in the browser window - had to write an app to put the date in the "comment" field to sort by date.
Playlist is a bit confusing/annoying

I am very happy with my purchase of VDJ, for me it was the best option available, I think it rocks!!!

I always say that when choosing a TCV system you need to do a lot of homework and find the system thats right for you.

You havent given us any reasons for wanting to switch, perhaps if you give us some points we can work from there.

Having said this I know for myself going to FS2 would be a step back, there just aren't enough plusses for me to change. I would lose too much to gain a nicer mp3 browser and a slightly better beat loop. And plus I got shafted when Stanton moved to FS2, I was left with FS1.5 and a company that wanted me to ay more for them to fix the problems in their software and make it work like advertised. This above all is the reason I will avoid FS!

PM me if you need more info!

Posted Tue 03 Oct 06 @ 7:49 pm
you can record with a maya 44, if you mean with an external mixer, use the line in / mic in on your laptop/computer and you can eve do this within VDJ with no need for soundforge etc, simply select line in from the drop down menu. you may have to experiment with the levels to get it set up propperly

Posted Tue 03 Oct 06 @ 11:23 pm
Well thanks alot guys That helped! I guess I'm gonna stick with VDJ after all!! :) I can't wait for VDJ 4.1 because I've recently re-intstalled VDJ 3.4 just because the effects and all work better at this point for me.

Oh, and I CAN'T record with the Maya 44 USB trust me I've tried EVERYTHING and I mean EVERYTHING!!! It's just my onboard soundcard that won't work, the only "line in" on my laptop besides the usb ports, is for a mic and nothing else. So I either need another laptop or a new external audio interface with more channels. Anybody got one I can buy or any suggestions on what's good??

Posted Thu 05 Oct 06 @ 7:19 am
apopsisdjPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
atxwreckz wrote :

Oh, and I CAN'T record with the Maya 44 USB trust me I've tried EVERYTHING and I mean EVERYTHING!!! It's just my onboard soundcard that won't work, the only "line in" on my laptop besides the usb ports, is for a mic and nothing else. So I either need another laptop or a new external audio interface with more channels. Anybody got one I can buy or any suggestions on what's good??

I use a maya44usb too with Tccd's and if i need to record my set i just plug a cheap (30 euros) 5.1 card with line in, and route the rec out from the mixer to line in. Works well.
No drivers needed at all for these 5.1 usb cards, (suppoerted by windows directly)

Posted Thu 05 Oct 06 @ 7:27 am
Dj Xeo wrote :
you can record with a maya 44, if you mean with an external mixer, use the line in / mic in on your laptop/computer and you can eve do this within VDJ with no need for soundforge etc, simply select line in from the drop down menu. you may have to experiment with the levels to get it set up propperly

you can use the mic in, you may need to adjust the levels, someone may have mentioned this allready, oh wait, it was me!

Posted Fri 06 Oct 06 @ 1:39 am
my club uses serado, final scratch, and virtual dj

vdj is awsome for video, beat mapping, and general mp3 playback, and is a all in one solution (mixer included)

serado is very cool however requires that you "eject" every song you play. once you fill the cache it will crash, the virtual folders are also very cool

final scratch 2.0 is also very cool however operates more on "key words" than folders

i guess it all depends on your usage and if your playing in your basement or not

many clubs are serado ready and final scratch ready, but i dont know many clubs you can walk into with a laptop and simply plug in your vityual dj

www.rumjungle.ca

Posted Fri 06 Oct 06 @ 2:31 am
The great thing is that if a club has a serato box in you can use VDJ with it. The SSL guys on their forum weren't too happy about it when it happened. Great step forward. Don't know if SSL can do much to change that situation. Some people on their forum have been saying they will change the drivers for the box, but I don't think that's possible.

VDJ is undoubtably the best for audio djing and if you have a decent computer without a lot of other programs on and follow the simple optimisation rules mentioned on this forum it is dead stable. I use it day after day and never have one crash or glitch. Sound quality is fantastic now too.

General advice to anybody who reads this and is thinking about buying another package. Save your money and stick with VDJ.

Posted Fri 06 Oct 06 @ 10:55 am

And soon Numark will sell a package called Numark Virtual Vinyl

Its a soundcard, timecode and software package...

When clubs have that installed, all the dj needs to do is bring his VDJ/Numark Cue, and plug it in at the club... ;)

Posted Fri 06 Oct 06 @ 12:09 pm
therealbjthedj wrote :
serado is very cool however requires that you "eject" every song you play. once you fill the cache it will crash, the virtual folders are also very cool

First I hear about this, I never experienced this problem..

dj-in-norway wrote :
When clubs have that installed, all the dj needs to do is bring his VDJ/Numark Cue, and plug it in at the club... ;)

Serato still wins here.. With Serato I only have to bring my external HD, as soon as I plug it in the 'house' Serato install will use my recordcase. Hotswap, next DJ comes in I unplug, he plugs in and continues with Serato setup the way he likes it....

Posted Fri 06 Oct 06 @ 6:16 pm

Well, thats kinda all you have to do with Numark Virtual vinyl too ;)

All you need to bring is your HD, with XML database;)
Make a windows account at the club PC for each dj, and drop the xml database into the install folder..
connect HD, and your good to go;)

Posted Fri 06 Oct 06 @ 6:21 pm
71%