Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Reviews of VDJ and other software

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

hey guys,
I'm a tech nerd and I saw this at one of the websites I frequent. He gives VDJ a pretty positive review, and they mention programs Ive never heard of and seem kinda spiffy.

http://arstechnica.com/reviews/apps/dj-software.ars

anyone used Ableton Live? or Traktor?

Posted Fri 15 Sep 06 @ 1:50 am
Ableton Live is not really a dj software in the traditional sense, but rather a "add-on" giving you spice to the mix.

Traktor vs VDJ.. (both being traditional dj software)... try the demos ;)

I'm pretty sure of your conclutions ;)

Posted Fri 15 Sep 06 @ 1:54 am
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
tracktor is a pain
the interface is like laberinth

ablton live isnt realy dj software at all

its for producers and sound technicans

to record singers and such

i love Vdj:D

Posted Fri 15 Sep 06 @ 10:55 am
xeonPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
VDJ killed EVERY DJ software with video mixing ;)

Posted Fri 15 Sep 06 @ 11:02 am
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
aye it did

pcdjs best contribiution is that you have to by video seprately for 100 pounds shocking

its daylight robery

Posted Fri 15 Sep 06 @ 11:17 am
phillydjPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
PCDJ charges for everything. I was suprised that they didn't charge there users to hang out with them at the atlantic city expo :)

Posted Fri 15 Sep 06 @ 11:21 am
PCDJ video software isn't out yet (or at least it wasn't two days ago) so I can't compare the video site and VDJ is my only alternative right now which is the only reason I bought it, and starting to regret that decision more as each day goes by.

For audio only dj mixing in my opinion PCDJ is BY FAR the best dj program out there, rock solid, well laid out, clean professional skin all the features one really needs. Much better record case, much more accurate beat scan, much more accurate bpm sync and oh yeah, it is ROCK SOLID. Between me and my other Dj's it is being used in two clubs 5 nights per week in each club for over two years without a single crash (except when some drunk bitc* pulled the fire wire cable out from the external drive that had all the music on) and no latency issues, pops, click and crackles in the sound and it even runs on an old p3 750mghz with 512 ram and a pair of aureal sound cards!

When and if I can get virtual dj video to ever work properly I may change my mind about VDJ, but by then PCDJ-VJ will probably be out anyway.

VDJ was only $50 cheaper than what I paid for PCDJ so I don't know where the idea it is so much more expensive (and I didn't need $100's of dollars to upgrade my computers as it appears I do for VDJ).

I will admit PCDJ's security scheme bites the big one and hard, but I can live with it...............we all have to make sacrifices.

Posted Fri 15 Sep 06 @ 1:19 pm
phillydjPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
Let's see

PCDJ FX (299.00)
Karaoke Plugin (99.00)
DMX controller (unknown)
PCDJ Scratch Plugin (not sure Stand Alone is 279.00 Site doesnt make clear plugin price)
PCDJ VJ (not out yet but if they keep there current plugin price it's another 99.00)

VirtualDJ 199.00
Karaoke (Free)
DMX controller (Free)
Scratch Tcv, Tccd (Free)
VJ (Free)

Your right there isn't much diffrence in price :/

as far as stabilty I owned PCDJ FX (legally) It was the biggest waste of money I ever did
and that includes the strippers I've spent hundreds on.
PCDJ FX was constantly crashing for me

Posted Fri 15 Sep 06 @ 1:34 pm
djsherzPRO InfinityMember since 2006
I spoke to a PCDJ guy while I was at PLASA this week, he reckoned that their new video program would be £199, and run in it's own right (not as a plugin for FX).

They had a beta version of it running at the show, and I have to say it looked good, but we all know their history for stability, upgrades and customer service... Time will tell...

Posted Fri 15 Sep 06 @ 3:07 pm
frd1963PRO InfinityMember since 2004
dj-e-lectric,

Of course you shouldn't have drunk girls bouncing around in your DJ booth while you're working ;) but assuming you do and she pulls out the firewire cable while using VDJ, the program will not crash. You will just get errors trying to load anything from that drive in the future. That was one of the benefits that hooked me on VDJ. I did take me a little time to get used to VDJ's layout, record case, etc, but now that I am, I would never go back.

I hope you give VDJ enough time to figure it out, and I'm sure you'll see why it is so much better.

Posted Fri 15 Sep 06 @ 4:16 pm
Man-TkPRO InfinityMember since 2004
i've worked with pcdj since 1998 to 2004 (perfect and rock solid)- now i work with TCV only with vdj and I love it ......Pcdj have better bpm detection , better recordcase , write and read tags (working) ,but i can play my mp3 with real turntables with vdj !!! and I know something : Atomix is working in all these features - (recordcase - tags , etc)

Posted Fri 15 Sep 06 @ 11:22 pm
i run serado, final scrach 2 and virtual dj, and what i find is that for video vdj is untouchable, compared to final scach and serado, i feel that vdj still needs improvements in the audio side,

the bells and whistles are cool but in a show senario just are toys,

but you gatta look at the fact that compared to a $800 program, vdj is budget minded

however once you deck out your computer it can get pricey

Posted Mon 18 Sep 06 @ 1:17 am
Man-Tk wrote :
i've worked with pcdj since 1998 to 2004 (perfect and rock solid)- now i work with TCV only with vdj and I love it ......Pcdj have better bpm detection , better recordcase , write and read tags (working) ,but i can play my mp3 with real turntables with vdj !!! and I know something : Atomix is working in all these features - (recordcase - tags , etc)

What are the TAGS?

Posted Mon 18 Sep 06 @ 11:34 am
I started with VDJ3 up to VDJ4. I found that on my beefy PC there were too many crashes in the middle of my shows so I went out and bought Native Instruments Traktor DJ Studio 3 with Serento's ScratchAmp2. The interface is inferior to VDJ but the stability is far superior. Not one crash during my shows so far with TDJS. Maybe with its simplicity comes stability. TDJS's record case / browser is also far better than VDJ. Reads and writes TAG's easier (namely the gener and rating tag). VDJ's sampler is missed when using TDJS as well as the skin choices. TDJS3 with the ScratchAmp2 hurt the pocket when compared to VDJ and obviously no compression there.

My System:
P4HT 2.8GHz, 1G ram, 256 video, 40 GB SATA C Drive and a maxtor OneTouch III 500GB Firewire 800 D Drive for music files

So if there was a 1 - 10 rating (10 being best), here would be mine.

VDJ4 and TDJS3/ScratchAmp2

Stability
VDJ4 - 4
TDJS3/SA2 - 9

Price
VDJ4 - 9
TDJS3/SA2 - 3

Umph Needed (cpu,mem, video)
VDJ4 - 6
TDJS3/SA2 - 9

Layout/Skins
VDJ4 - 10
TDJS3/SA2 - 7

Sampling
VDJ4 - 10
TDJS3/SA2 - 0

Sound Quality
VDJ4 - 8
TDJS3/SA2 - 8

TAG Read/Write/Edit
VDJ4 - 4
TDJS3/SA2 - 10

Analyzing Tracks
VDJ4 - 6
TDJS3/SA2 - 10

Master Tempo, Key Lock, Pitch Controls
VDJ4 - 9
TDJS3/SA2 - 9

Browser
VDJ4 - 6
TDJS3/SA2 - 8

CUE, Loop Control
VDJ4 - 10
TDJS3/SA2 - 8

MIDI Organization/Setup
VDJ4 - 10
TDJS3/SA2 - 6

This is a short list and only my experience thus far, subjective, and subject to change. They are both great products and allow a me to exploit DJ'ing to my fullest. I had the extra cash and decided I needed stability over everything so its TCDJ on the road but I like playing with VDJ. I think VDJ is more fun to play with and has a lot of bells and whistles. I'm reserving VDJ it for the studio/basement for now.

Posted Tue 19 Sep 06 @ 1:06 pm
apopsisdjPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
@mixmastermark, try Virtual dj with the scratch Amp2 in asio mode (set latency to auto)
This will be your best combination.
Virtual dj is a stable software, and a good soundcard does matter.
I'm sure you'll have more luck than before.

Posted Tue 19 Sep 06 @ 6:30 pm
I have used pcdj for 2 years, traktor for 3 years and vdj for less than a year. Pcdj was very good at the time (1999) and it was my transition software from cd decks. Traktor 2 then came along with better audio quality, scratch features, midi, proper recordcase and more. I enjoyed using traktor up to version 2.53 then the stability was gone. Apart from the stability and bug problems with traktor, my main reason for seeking an alternative at the time was the lack of improvements to the software as it relates to features. Traktor was and still is very basic and limited in areas of effects, addons and external hardware/software support. The support was also very poor at traktor forums.

After trying virtual dj and seeing the capabilities of the software, the flexibility it offered, the hardware supported and backup support on the fora, I made no hesitation to purchase a pro licence. After using virtual dj for a week, I saw the back of Traktor. The audio quality of vdj 3+ was a concern but v4 definitely nullified that concern.

I think VDJ4 is the best software available today and nothing comes close. The browser and tag reading/writing is the only area now that needs to be updated, but there are many ways to organize your collection efficiently with current setup. I have heard of things in the video mixing area needing attention but live video mixing is new and bugs are inevitable.

As it relates to traditional audio djs like myself, VDJ is rock solid (with right cpu specs/settings and soundcard) and hugely undervalued at that price IMHO. VDJ4 offers excellent value for money, excellent support, excellent development team, excellent..........

Posted Tue 19 Sep 06 @ 10:46 pm
Rem1xHome userMember since 2006
that user reviewed v3.4 and has Traktor as his weapon of choice? is traktor really that nice? ive playd with traktor v2.5 and i dont think it even comes close to v3.2. fukk all that sound quality sh1t. overall vdj sh1ts on all these other dj software.
dude who did that review is biased.

Posted Tue 19 Sep 06 @ 11:03 pm
all reviews are biased:)

Some like Coke, some like Pepsi :)

I think VDJ has far more to offer than any other dj software.
I'm not saying its best in all it does, but that doesnt matter.
The complete package, impressions, and use, is what made me decide for VDJ :)

Posted Tue 19 Sep 06 @ 11:09 pm
DJ-ALFPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2005
Yo Norway, don't forget the best support forum in the world :)

Posted Wed 20 Sep 06 @ 3:56 am
Even though I am having problems with my hardware VDJ still beats PCDJ hands down. I used PCDJ from 1200sl up to FX. I stumbled across VDJ about a year ago and since then I am hooked!! VDJ is like a drug, once you try it you can't get enough. Happy Spinnin

Posted Wed 20 Sep 06 @ 4:06 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)