Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: How do I get programs to recognize codecs?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Downloaded the demo version of LEADS h264 codec but non of my programs seem to recognize it (Virtual Dj, Sony Vegas, ImTOO DVD ripper, Windows Media Player,etc). ...........I am trying to find a compression codec with good quality that Virtual Dj will read without freezing the computer while decoding the files like it does with Divx (which uses h263 compression). Will Virtual Dj recognize h264 encoded files and how do I get it to find/show the decoder?

Posted Tue 12 Sep 06 @ 6:26 am
frd1963PRO InfinityMember since 2004
Many times the demo version of a codec will work only within a player that comes with the codec. This allows you to get an idea of the quality of the codec, but not have full use of it (until you buy it.)
I am guessing that this is the case with this demo codec. I guess in that case, it should be called a 'dec' not a 'co-dec.'

Posted Tue 12 Sep 06 @ 10:57 pm
did you try DivXpro6 ? ;) Works great here....

And the least trouble format seems to be mpeg1 and mpeg2 ...

But DivX6 works great if you are looking for space saver

Posted Tue 12 Sep 06 @ 10:59 pm
I'm with Norway on the DivX, Think it's at something like 6.2.5 at the moment, I use insane quality with my conversions as I need to keep the quality, there's a tutorial in my blog. But can't see why DivX is giving you such problems. I use the pro version as I was so impressed i bought it. (Like VirtualDJ)

Posted Wed 13 Sep 06 @ 12:23 am
I have a video file that is ripped from karaoke dvd. The file plays fine in Media Player but in VDJ only the 2nd audio or karaoke track plays. If I change the codec from Video Decoder to any other, it won't load the file.

I try changing the codec for file exten mpg to use Windows Mediaplayer, but that won't load the file.

Any suggestions...thx in advance.

Posted Wed 13 Sep 06 @ 5:14 am
I have been using DivxPro 6.2.5, but the files ripped (encoded) with that are the ones I have the problem freezing the computer monitor (and all the virtualdj controls). It seems as though it uses A LOT of cpu to decode them. I rip the DVDs using the decoder set at "same quality as original" so I get true 740x480 at 1200 bit rate with wav sound as I edit, remix and remaster virtually every video because most of the sound quality sucks so bad on the original (especially screen play/vidtraxx/tm century)..... I have tired compressing them down to about 1/6 original size with divx (staying at 740x480) with 192kb mp3 audio and the quality is very good, but it does not help the monitor freezing. I need the hi-res because the club I play at has (5) 9' projectors and (33) 62" plasmas and the lower resolutions just don't look good at all. I have no problem loading mpeg2's, but I really do want to use a good compression after I have completed all my final editing and remixing cause mpeg2's take up too much space.

Posted Wed 13 Sep 06 @ 9:12 am
electric, try ripping a file following the tutorial on my blog, follow the instructs EXACTLY and let me know if it still does it. Also using the speedload option on DJCel's registry tool may help here.

With regards divx conversion, I always convert to the same res as the original, some music vids are 720 x 480, some are 720 x 576 which is explained in the tutorial and why I use smartripper (it gives LOTS of info on the vobs to be ripped including resolution)

Posted Wed 13 Sep 06 @ 10:17 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)