Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Will this be perfect?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

(nt = no text)

Posted Thu 31 Aug 06 @ 5:29 pm
I've been trying to get virtual DJ up and running for months and still no success due to my bad choice of laptop. I bought a Dell Inspiron 1300 and it simply didnt work. Ive now sold it and I want to buy a laptop that works flawlessly with VDJ (not video). I have up to £600 to spend and I was looking at this: http://www.comet.co.uk/comet/html/cache/572_336459.html Does anyone know if its good enough or have any ideas on another?

Thanks

Posted Thu 31 Aug 06 @ 5:31 pm
Heres some more info on that laptop:
Intel® Core™ Duo processor T2300E (2 MB L2 cache, 1.66GHz,
667 MHz FSB), 15.4”WXGA Acer CrystalBrite™ TFT LCD, up to 224MB Shared Graphics, 80GB hard
disk drive (5400 rpm), 1 GB (2*512) of DDR2 533/667 MHz memory, DVD-Super Multi double-layer,

Posted Thu 31 Aug 06 @ 5:35 pm
DJ-ALFPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2005
It is a good choice but for audio only, video card share main memory. You can buy it for VDJ.

Posted Thu 31 Aug 06 @ 5:38 pm
NiemsPRO InfinityMember since 2006
I suggest you get a video card that has DEDICATED and not SHARED memory. Shared memory means you only have a setup with 800mb ram there, and I know i use more than 800 on my machine.

Dont worry bout processor / hard disk / drives ect. The two things you must make sure of to have a smooth performance are:

- 1Gb RAM (doesnt matter what type / speed)
- Video card with at least 128mb DEDICATED memory (not shared)

Also get an external sound card. Laptop sound is NOT very good quality / level

Posted Thu 31 Aug 06 @ 5:40 pm
Thanks, but are you definite? I really cant afford to buy it if its not perfect for audio with timecoded vinyls, external mixer etc?

Posted Thu 31 Aug 06 @ 5:40 pm
Sorry Niems, but I have to disagree with you. I upgraded my Dell to 1280mb Ram and I had at least 128mb dedicated ram but it did not work so I cannot agree with you there

Posted Thu 31 Aug 06 @ 5:43 pm
You must do your technical homework :D

When did you buy that laptop? if its not anytime recent, then it is obviously very outdated or you didnt pay much for it.

Make sure you have an ati or nvidia card in it, and something that is of least the 7600 or 6600 series from nvidia, or the x600 and x1600 from ati.

What video card did that laptop have? By the way, the amount of memory a video card has impacts minimal performace with VIDEO, but as long as it is not below 128mb. Video cards are rated on there processor, not memory

Posted Thu 31 Aug 06 @ 5:48 pm
I am only intending to use audio, no video will be involved.

Posted Thu 31 Aug 06 @ 5:53 pm
Rather save up for a rig that can play video in case you decide to at a later stage. Its always better to wait and buy a better rig than to try get the cheapest one right now

Posted Thu 31 Aug 06 @ 5:57 pm
Im 95% sure i'll never play video and saving is going to be impossible this year :-( So does it matter about the video card if im not gonna play vids?

Posted Thu 31 Aug 06 @ 6:00 pm
Nope not at all then :)

Posted Thu 31 Aug 06 @ 6:41 pm
I recently ordered this laptop for uni but it's also good for gaming and will run Virtual DJ without any problems, it's probably one of the best deals in the UK at the moment:

http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/HP_Student_Bundle_3_Enhanced_BUN-STUDENT-HP3E/version.asp

It's a business class laptop and from a big brand so reliability and build quality will of course be excellent, plus who can argue with a three year warranty.

If you need to go cheaper, this Zoostorm (4 week backorder) is probably the best deal in the UK at the moment (make sure you add another 512mb of ram):

http://www.pcnextday.co.uk/products/ProductDetail.asp?ProductCode=3382-6301

Don't forget to add in the cost for Virtual DJ Professional

Posted Thu 31 Aug 06 @ 8:11 pm
Niems wrote :
I suggest you get a video card that has DEDICATED and not SHARED memory. Shared memory means you only have a setup with 800mb ram there, and I know i use more than 800 on my machine.

Dont worry bout processor / hard disk / drives ect. The two things you must make sure of to have a smooth performance are:

- 1Gb RAM (doesnt matter what type / speed)
- Video card with at least 128mb DEDICATED memory (not shared)

Also get an external sound card. Laptop sound is NOT very good quality / level

My video is a 32MB Nvidia Geforce Go. Dedicated ram yes, but lots of it, no. Works great, video smooth!

Posted Thu 31 Aug 06 @ 8:59 pm

Posted Fri 01 Sep 06 @ 1:57 pm
DJ-ALFPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2005
Pretty the same as the first one, also shared memory graphics, but as I said earlier, if you don't wanna use video, this one is also good.

Posted Fri 01 Sep 06 @ 5:48 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)