Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: VDJ4.0vs.3.4 - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

After lot of trying around best for me:
"Vdj4.0 Soundengine and 3.4 handling!!!!!!"
i dont like the new effect behavior!too complicatet!
And this new Masterbeat funktion is also kind of funny???
For me at the moment back to 3.4!!!!!
Waiting for the next updates:-(

Posted Mon 28 Aug 06 @ 10:48 pm
Oh man. You've just started a tribal war.

Posted Mon 28 Aug 06 @ 11:07 pm
yupp

Its the new war of the worlds...

Stronger than the Mac vs PC war;)

VDJ 3.4 lovers vs VDJ 4.0 lovers ....hehe

But in the word of ConQuest... "VDJ4 get new lovers every day, and will win in the end"
(might take a 4.1 or 4.2 first though... hehe)

Posted Mon 28 Aug 06 @ 11:10 pm
abnormPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Some people are just afraid of a little change. I think version 4 is much more intuitive with a more logical interface then 3.4. Except for a few minor bugs that are being ironed out right now, it's almost everything I hoped for.

Posted Mon 28 Aug 06 @ 11:24 pm
I guess people just need to be more patient with it. As for me, I've never felt VDJ this stable. 5 to 6 hour sets with no skips, keylock on, flawless clone deck and incredible sound. You just can't beat that. VDJ 4.0, U46DJ plus TCV = one happy customer. All i'd like is a 1280x800 skin now.

Posted Mon 28 Aug 06 @ 11:29 pm
4.0 is also stable for me but the new effect section is like going backward!!looks pretty good but useless to handle!!!!(compearing to the old my meaning):-)SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH

Posted Mon 28 Aug 06 @ 11:38 pm
your english is fine ;)

I think the 4.0 way for effects takes some time go get used to.
I hated it at first too, but now I love it.... Like it a lot better than 3.4 way

But its probably a matter of taste too :)

Posted Mon 28 Aug 06 @ 11:41 pm
And how to you use 2 effects at the same time on the same deck???

Posted Mon 28 Aug 06 @ 11:52 pm
Dj XeoPRO InfinityMember since 2005
for some reason i cant get bypass/passthru to workwith 4.0 anymore, i cant find the shortcut action to do it and my old shortcuts for it dont work anymore, under turntable the only thing i can see is timcode_active which turns the timecode control on and off not the bypass

Posted Tue 29 Aug 06 @ 12:00 am
I don't use two effects at once, BUT, i did know that Beatgrid was on one, Flippin double was on two, and Brake was on three. Just means now I'll have to think a little further ahead.

I must admit most of the time i would use an effect very much on the fly, now I think you'll find that you have to check each time of you may use brake instead of beatgrid! =)

Posted Tue 29 Aug 06 @ 5:29 am
3.4 for me - was too used to the pio skin, so went back to it..plus the new sound engine was doing some crazy things in 4.0

Posted Tue 29 Aug 06 @ 6:22 am
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
discotronic wrote :
And how to you use 2 effects at the same time on the same deck???

With 3.4 you fundementally had 3 effects slots and that's it and all were what I would call quick access. However you could only run a max of 3 effects per deck.

With 4.0 you have 1 quick access slot per deck and the rest are activated through the Effects browser. This in turn gives you unlimited (depends on how many you have installed) effects per deck.

So set your first effect in the skin and activate it, go to the effects section, choose the second effect and select it and repeat until all are active that you want to use.

Also, have a shortcut key set to de-activate all effects at once.

easy enough?

cstoll

Posted Tue 29 Aug 06 @ 7:52 am
/ "And how to you use 2 effects at the same time on the same deck???" /

Keyboard shortcuts or controller key map.

Posted Tue 29 Aug 06 @ 10:02 pm
djsherzPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Bit annoying though that you can't just assign the effects to midi buttons properly though. I read dj-in-noryway's quick start guide and set it all up on my homemade midi controller, only to find that a) you have to push the effect button twice, once to select the effect, and again to activate it, and b) you can only use one at a time this way. Fair enough, you can have multiple effects via the skin, but that was the whole point of building my midi controller, that I could do stuff on the fly rather than be messing around with the mouse.

There seems to be teething trouble with the video too, in particular with the visualisations that have to be manually activated/deactivated when no video is present.

Oh, and none of my samples play in sync with 4.0, I really don't fancy having to re-record all 150 of them - by the time I get round to doing that, chances are 4.1 will be out, and sod's law says I'll end up doing it all over again!

The default skin's missing a few buttons that I used to use as well, ie the stop button (useful to go back to the start of the track if you want to completely re-cue), and the skip beat buttons. I'm guessing that all these functions are still there, it's just a skin thing... I liked having the panel in the middle that let you flip between the "remix" "cue" and "video" sections... The CPU meter's a good idea, but it only appears in the full video skin, and my crusty ol' computer's not fast enough to display video within the skin!

Oh and as for stability, looks like I'm gonna have to upgrade to something faster with a better graphics card if I'm gonna play video in 4.0, it keeps crashing on me. Fair enough, my computer is a bit slow (2.6 celeron with 5200 PCI graphics) but 3.4 runs on this with no crashes!

Anyway, enough whinging from me. On the plus side, I can see some great improvements, I'm sure it'll all be great once the bugs are ironed out and my PC gets better. In the meantime, back to 3.4 i'm afraid...

Posted Tue 29 Aug 06 @ 11:32 pm
Fucking Awesome. Maybe I found out too late but I just noticed VDJ4.0's virtualfolder. This is sooooo cool man.

Posted Tue 29 Aug 06 @ 11:54 pm
apopsisdjPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
Does not the huge difference in sound enough for you to stay with 4.0 ?
And as for the effects i'll give you one good reason why its more powerful now.
One main slot, yes that means one fx at the time, one but POWERFUL...
You can now assign up to 5 midi sliders and also buttons to control this main slot.
Then you can create direct access buttons, (keyboard or midi) to select and acivate the desired effect in the main slot.
At the end you can have unlimited buttons to directly call and activate effects and use the same midi sliders and buttons to edit them live...
Isn't the same but most powerfull than the cdj100/200 decks ?
Select an effect, adjust it... so simple.

As for more than one effect at the time, only with certain effects like an eq or limiter you really need this. For these effects indeed there is a limitation, but you can use the effect page.

Posted Wed 30 Aug 06 @ 12:01 am
I disagree.
Ok, so you want to run text effect over a video, that can be done now.

But What if you need to continue that text effect, but switch to the camera? Can't be done, because the camera overides the text.... Same with trying to run text over a sonique effect. Can't be done with 4.0. IMO, it makes sense to be able to run some multiple effects.

Posted Wed 30 Aug 06 @ 1:58 pm
apopsisdjPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
@MusicalMadness, i was talking about the audio effects, there is one but powerfull main slot now.
About video effects you have totally right, the fix for this (to allow more than one video effects) is in top priority, there was just not enough time to make it in the final 4.0 release.
Effects now organized in categories as plugins in both vdj effects page and plugins physical folder. This is for good.

Posted Wed 30 Aug 06 @ 4:28 pm
My Appologies then! I looked at effects as total, not isolated by audio or video effects....

Posted Thu 31 Aug 06 @ 2:34 pm
I use more than one effect spezialy on loops mixing into another trackto get new sound`syou know what i mean:-)

Posted Thu 31 Aug 06 @ 11:09 pm
83%