Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: PLEASE READ - PERFORMANCE SETTING OF VDJ 4 - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

Virtual DJ 4 offers a custom user-interface for fine tuning the performance of Virtual DJ.

This lets you tweak Virtual DJ to run the best possible on your PC, and take the most out of the powers available!

BUT... BUT...

There is a side to this! Every PC has a limit, accordning to its power and build, so you can also set the performance higher that your PC will allow..... So, you might need to lower your too optimistic look on how your PC can perform, if you have issues with sound.. ;))

Dont complaint about crackles, or sound issues because you have set performance tab higher than your PC will allow ;)

For example, Hercules Mk2 needs a HIGH buffer to sound good, and so does other cards. This is not a fault of VDJ, but the soundcard:)

If you are having performance issues :
- LOWER the performance preset
- INCREASE buffer even more than lowest preset, if your PC /soundcard needs that.
- Check SAFE MODE, and OVERCLOCK to see if it makes a difference on your PC.

In other words, user interface for tweaking performance means just that! ;) YOU need to work a bit to find the performance that your PC will allow...

And sometimes thats a bit lower than you might have dreamt of... And that goes for me too, as I have Hercules MK2 that does need a high buffer to work right... NOT a VDJ problem though ;)

Happy mixing you all ;)

Posted Thu 24 Aug 06 @ 5:19 pm
Good point ! - Mr friend wouldn't understand why he couldn't do all the video mixing etc that I do on my £1400 laptop, he bought the cheapest one he could find !.

Tune the settings appropriately for your hardware, and don't blame VDJ if you can't run everything on maximum on your 5 year old computer.....

Posted Thu 24 Aug 06 @ 5:25 pm
xgl_djPRO InfinityMember since 2004
dj-in-norway wrote :
V
Dont complaint about crackles, or sound issues because you have set performance tab higher than your PC will allow ;)

If you are having performance issues :
- LOWER the performance preset
- INCREASE buffer even more than lowest preset, if your PC /soundcard needs that.
- Check SAFE MODE, and OVERCLOCK to see if it makes a difference on your PC.

What the hell... If not vdj fault whose fault is it.. So a far I have been on this for 20 mins and cannot get any type of decent sound from vdj in aiso mode... Plus 2 crashes so far.... In direct sound mode it plays fine but in ASIO mode it sounds super distored.GRRRRRRRRRRRR.... I dam it... I am disappointed!

Posted Thu 24 Aug 06 @ 5:40 pm
INCREASE YOUR ASIO BUFFER!!!

thats all! ;)

if you have such sound issues, your soundcard will not let you run on the highest peformance settings.

you can also try the auto setting, to let VDJ try finding your ideal settings;)

Posted Thu 24 Aug 06 @ 5:41 pm
Ok my bad... I was playing with the preset slider for the longest without results. I just clicked on the latency drop down and set it from 512 to 64 - and it seems too have fixed the problem.

THANKS norway..

Now off to play...

Posted Thu 24 Aug 06 @ 5:51 pm
ah, so the oposite was true in your case!

SET HIGHER SETTINGS!! as your pc WILL allow it ;) hehe

Well, the custom user teaking interface might get some intro trouble, but its there for making VDJ work best possible on EACH pc.. depending on the users PC.
The turn-back, is that each user has to work a LITTLE to find that perfect setting...

Glad to hear you can run on 64... should make far better sound ;)

Posted Thu 24 Aug 06 @ 5:56 pm
Another question the bpm readout stops after moving the pitch past a certain point. Can this be fixed by some settings or is it the way vdj is designed?

Posted Thu 24 Aug 06 @ 6:02 pm
hmmm.. really ?

I know the database have a 200bpm limit, but not sure about the read-outs. Might be an issue there.

Posted Thu 24 Aug 06 @ 6:07 pm
dj-in-norway wrote :
So, you might need to lower your too optimistic look on how your PC can perform, if you have issues with sound.. ;)

even more reason for me to crack on with my skin, eh?

Posted Thu 24 Aug 06 @ 6:18 pm
yupp.. skins are part of the performance too... Some skins hog more resources than other skins ;)

Less visual effects, less things going on, the better performance:)

Posted Thu 24 Aug 06 @ 6:20 pm
Yep definately I an issue I reported it before and was hoping it would be fixed in this version. Bummer.
Is the "bmp readout" issue the same for anyone else?

Posted Thu 24 Aug 06 @ 6:22 pm
i had a VERY BAD crackling sound on my laptop.
set the latency to AUTO and it was fixed. (lucky me)

Posted Thu 24 Aug 06 @ 6:41 pm
there you go ;)

AUTO will let VDJ try to auto-detect the best settings for your PC :)

Posted Thu 24 Aug 06 @ 6:42 pm
Wish there would be an auto-detect what's best... hehe. I am having a hard time tuning, but the main problem is I have my family around, so I can't turn up the volume to test and have to test in my headphones, which is different from the outputs.

Is it not best to choose Auto Latency always?

Posted Thu 24 Aug 06 @ 6:44 pm
AUTO is best for some soundcards, and most often for known soundcards that VDJ users have been using and that VDJ have detection for , such as Maya44, U46dj, Hercules etc.

Posted Thu 24 Aug 06 @ 6:49 pm
I’ve been away for a while. Where is the manual for VDJ 4; I hope you wrote it dj-in-norway ;)

OO

Posted Thu 24 Aug 06 @ 8:09 pm
TexZKPRO InfinityMember since 2005
I don't use the scratch feature in my mixes, so I made the scratching algorythm the simplest. I've got a Mk2, so I set the latency to 11ms (with other DirectX software the minimum I can reach in WDM mode is 10.5ms). I often use the new time stretching feature, so I've set it to the highest (by default). You can check my computer components in my blog, just to make a comparison.

Posted Thu 24 Aug 06 @ 9:02 pm

Posted Thu 24 Aug 06 @ 9:14 pm

Posted Thu 24 Aug 06 @ 9:16 pm
what is "Safe Mode"? What are the advantages of unchecking it?

Posted Fri 25 Aug 06 @ 1:30 am
39%