Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Customize Auto-Mixing Behaviour

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

SupaconPRO InfinityMember since 2005
I want to use Virtual DJ to play music videos in situations where it is not necessary to mix in any special way. (i.e. playing country and rock music videos at the beginning of the night).

I find that with the "Automix" function, it does several things that are totally beyond what I want, and it actually is not welcome:

1) It tries to automatically determine and match the BPM of the songs. I don't want it to change it.
2) It looks for a decrease in volume and sets a cue point to mix out, even if it's something like an entire minute before the song ends. I'd rather have it wait until a few seconds before the end of the song before mixing out.
3) It does the same as above for the beginning of the song, potentially cutting off several seconds of the song.
4) The style of crossfade can vary from a gradual fade to a sudden "slam". A consistent four second crossfade would be better.

I remember with BPM studio, you could just set a customizable static crossfade that it would apply a preset number of seconds before the end of the song... this would be better, but ideally, Virtual DJ could work like foobar2000's continuator plugin, where it starts playing the next song after a configurable drop in volume a configurable amount of time before the end of the song.

(Typically I have it start the next song when the volume of the playing song drops over 8 dB in the last 15 seconds of the song, and this provides a smooth, continuous flow of music that allows the entire song to be played without cutting anything off).

PLEASE tell me there's some way to do something like this with VirtualDJ... it's a majorly important feature that is sorely missing.

Posted Sun 18 Jun 06 @ 11:20 pm
djcelPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
Enable the option "force fade" in the config of virtualdj under "Fame", then adjust the slider below

Posted Sun 18 Jun 06 @ 11:45 pm
if you dont want automix to beatmix, set Auto-BPM to "disabled" or "smart" :)

Posted Sun 18 Jun 06 @ 11:47 pm
Okay... these things help, but how do you change the sensitivity of the mixout points? I'd rather not have it cut off the last 30 seconds of the more quiet songs.

Posted Sun 18 Jun 06 @ 11:54 pm
djcelPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
Set the fade length to 0

Posted Mon 19 Jun 06 @ 12:03 am
fade length will set the general fade length in automix...

You can also over-ride this setting manually for selected songs.
When the song is loaded to a deck, right click the song in the song browser, and choose "edit BPM":
You will then find a setting for setting mix out and mix in cues..for automix

:)

Posted Mon 19 Jun 06 @ 12:14 am
dj-in-norway wrote :
if you dont want automix to beatmix, set Auto-BPM to "disabled" or "smart" :)

The manual doesn't say what "Smart" is, does anyone know?

Posted Mon 19 Jun 06 @ 12:47 pm
frd1963PRO InfinityMember since 2004
"Smart" means that it decides if the songs are similar enough to attempt beat matching. If not, then it doesn't bother matching the beats.

Posted Mon 19 Jun 06 @ 3:56 pm
Okay, I'll have to mess around with this.

Obviously it's a little bit beyond the point of automixing if I have to manually edit each song so that it will automix in a reasonable way though.

But another related question... in Virtual DJ there is a playlist on the right panel, and another on the bottom of the database search panel. What are each of these areas intended for?

It seemed that the right panel can be used as a playlist if you have a list of songs that you want to play in order.. but the bottom panel?

Posted Mon 19 Jun 06 @ 7:53 pm
you are right about right ;)

The bottom one is a "drop list", say a scratch sample, or a song you want to remember to play later or what ever.. :)

The song or sample will stay there until you remove it (by dragging back to browser) - even if its played.

The playlist will remove played songs:) Like a playlist should..

and yes, the manual setting of mix points was purely for your information.
The automix will work fine, if you set force fande, and choose the fade length you want, and make Auto-bpm "smart" (beatmix only songs that are well for beatmix), or "disable" (will not beatmix any songs).

Posted Mon 19 Jun 06 @ 9:01 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)