Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: are dj's really entertaining? (the future for vdj)

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

cuttaHome userMember since 2006
ok ok before ya get upset hear me out.......

First of all 1. i understand vinyl sounds better.
2. i understand its really hip to play both decks at the same time creating
a layered master mix.
3. You get even more respect if you scratch good.
4. In these days of the digital era i see no other reason to buy vinyl
and i want as many sound sources and effects at my disposal as
possible.
obsevation: the crowd worships the dj, they have no other focal point, but is it cool
when they front the mix? (the crowd has no idea, but the dj's do)

example 1 (dnb tv) philly skynet.......the dj pops the cd into the cdj presses
play, lights a cig, drinks a beer, never touches vinyl, never scratches and
everbody is high fiven the dude.....
example 2 (dnb tv) Desielboy......throws down a great set, uses vinyl ,but seems to
front with the cd player at times....
example 3 Goldie.......only vinyl, cool set, no scratching

so my question is this, would the crowd support somebody flippin files on a pc
and scratching with a mouse? What is the future setup vdj + 1tt+ 1cd?

sorry for the long post, any opinions?......bueller?

Posted Mon 05 Jun 06 @ 10:19 pm
as technology advances its getting more and more welcomed. at the moment there might be certain people not accepting the fact that someone shows up with a laptop and mouse only altough give it some time and many DJs are going to be using that.

However, from personal experience. get something you can back yourself up in case your PC crashes during the gig.

Posted Mon 05 Jun 06 @ 10:51 pm
The future of DJ'ing has been discussed and debated many times in these and other forums... Certainly digital formats are being embraced, but what form will it take 5 years from now? 10 years from now? I don't think anybody knows the answer to that, but certainly nobody will still be claiming that vinyl will always rule DJ'ing forever, particularly as DJ's do more and more amazing things with the aid of computers, CD players, etc. Will there still be some vinyl-only DJ's at that point? Probably. Will they be the majority? Probably not... My ideal world would store media in the digital realm, while leaving controllers in the analog realm -- time-coded vinyls and time-coded CD's accomplish this right now, but I'm sure other controllers will come up that are more powerful, more intuitive, and more interesting to use... Laptops are currently widely used, and completely accepted in the DJ community, no matter what your turntablist friends may try to convince you of... But scratching with a mouse? I don't think that'll ever catch on...

Posted Mon 05 Jun 06 @ 11:04 pm
Good topic. Well, I feel it's depending on the crowd, if you go to a Club (this is talking from two sides, the people at the Club, and the DJ itself). Most at the club couldn't really care that much about the DJ, they're just there for a good time, music wise all the people at the club want is solid music selection, catchy mixes, and non dominated scratching.

I know I will venture into Digital based scratching eventually, but in the present time I still believe vinyl is the best, but clubs are becoming more digital. Also, like I said earlier, from my club DJ'ing experiences, is the crowd doesn't give to much of anything about the DJ, really just to get the job done, you know.

From the DJ eyes, yes vinyl is becoming obsolete (within terms), but at the same time it will always be around, just not as abundantly as CD's, MP3's. Almost pointless for upcoming DJ's to jump on the vinyl train, me being young I wanted the whole foundation when I was learning, which was not long ago, but I'm a exception I suppose. With Turntables such as the Numark HDX out now, that run off a vinyl touch, and hard drive built in the turntable to load your MP3's on, it's almost becoming obsolete to touch CD Scratching units lol.

Great topic let me add again!

Posted Mon 05 Jun 06 @ 11:29 pm
cuttaHome userMember since 2006
thank you guys for such intelligent responses, other dnb forums flame my ass for even
trying to think outside the box, i totally understand where vinyl purists are coming from
and appreciate the skilz but for me technically and creatively its not practical.

Posted Mon 05 Jun 06 @ 11:43 pm
abnormPRO InfinityMember since 2003
I believe it's up to the DJ how he wants to present himself creativly. Different media types produce different results and it's up to them what will suit them best for the sound they strive for. It's true that most DJs are switching to CDJs because it's more convinient for them, so I don't see why laptops wouldn't be accepted for the same reason.

Posted Tue 06 Jun 06 @ 1:56 am
I’ve been spinning drum and bass for 11 years in various countries. I primarily use vinyl because that’s what I’m used too, I still think the sound is superior and visually the crowd prefer it.
THAT SAID I use VDJ along with the vinyl now to play newer tracks and tunes that I have made myself. I seem to have completely skipped the CDJ thing because for me VDJ is more powerful and more flexible.

VDJ has also opened new doors for me as I play more and more downtempo/breakbeat/mixed genre sets in bars rather than clubs. For these styles of music it really works well for me, particularly when the sound system is average and drinking/chat is the focus of the event.

When it comes to really tearing up the floor with quick and precise mixes I use vinyl but with more practice and improved technology I will be embracing VDJ more and more.
I’m getting really fed up carting around huge bags of heavy plastic!

It’s a tough issue but I think basically it’s “horses for courses”. Whatever you use if the response is good that’s all that matters!
Check http://www.willspin.com for some tidy drum and bass mixes.

Posted Tue 06 Jun 06 @ 7:21 am
Hi

I started djing in 74 with a few vinyl singles and albums (no 12" cos they weren't out then"

Gradually my collection got bigger and bigger and I got CDs too, so that in the end I was doing gigs with a massive amount of heavy boxes.
But I could play nearly any track anybody ever requested.

I changed appearance, getting very very wide and muscley. I thought I was different to other djs until I got the net and saw all the photos of djs of my own age who were all wide and muscley too from carring vinyls and speakers etc.

Be warned younger DJs, don't get too much vinyl, it's not good for your pocket or your appearance.

Posted Tue 06 Jun 06 @ 10:14 am
listen2PRO InfinityMember since 2005
asymptote wrote :
Be warned younger DJs, don't get too much vinyl, it's not good for your pocket or your appearance.

or your back!

Posted Tue 06 Jun 06 @ 2:14 pm
djsherzPRO InfinityMember since 2006
A lot of mobile DJs tend to get a bit wide, but that could be something to do with all that free buffet food during the night! ;-)

Posted Wed 07 Jun 06 @ 6:42 am
Yeah, forgot to mention the eating ;-)

Posted Wed 07 Jun 06 @ 1:49 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)