Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: LOOK OUT! MICROSFT IS CHECKING YOUR XP COPY - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

Hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of local PC users running pirated Windows operating systems will soon face the shame of being reminded of their illegal action every time they switch on their machines. The feature will be added to the operating system by Microsoft Corp from tomorrow and cannot be erased. It will nag the guilty users and can be awkward if it shows up on corporate PCs. Current users of PCs running pirated Windows will find their machines “tattooed” the next time they update the operating system.

Basically, a message stating “This copy of Windows is not genuine …” will be permanently affixed to the operating system’s login screen, and a similar message will randomly pop up on the desktop whenever the machine is in use.

The anti-piracy move is being kicked off in five countries tomorrow – the United States, Britain, New Zealand, Australia and Malaysia.

Users whose machines have been affected will only be able to get rid of the tattoo if they install a genuine copy of Windows. Prices range from RM320 for a copy of Windows XP Home (OEM version) to RM510 for Windows XP Pro (OEM version).

“Or they can put up with being ‘nagged’ by the pop-up message every time they use their computers,” said K.T. Ng, group manager for Windows Client solutions at Microsoft Malaysia.

If they were businessmen or corporate executives, it would be embarrassing if their clients saw the tattoo indicating that a pirated copy of Windows was being used, he said.

According to Ng, the move was aimed at better serving Microsoft’s genuine users.

For example, he said, counterfeiters had been able to reproduce Microsoft product packaging to the point where consumers were unable to tell genuine from imitation.

“The pop-up message would immediately alert consumers to counterfeit copies of Windows, such as when they buy a new notebook or PC,” he said.

If a user has unknowingly received an illegal copy of the operating system, he will be able to report the vendor concerned by clicking on the “Get Genuine” button at the login screen.

Machines that have been tattooed will still be able to receive software updates for the operating system, but will not be allowed to download Internet Explorer 7.0 (IE7) and Windows Defender.

IE7 is the new, more secure version of Microsoft’s web browser while Windows Defender is an anti-spyware program.
Views: 1339

Posted Sat 03 Jun 06 @ 7:03 pm
phillydjPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
im sure someone will find a way around it ...just like everything else :( but it would be funny to see vdj do something like that

Posted Sat 03 Jun 06 @ 7:17 pm
This isn't new news exactly, safe mode, wgatray, *cough*

Posted Sat 03 Jun 06 @ 8:22 pm
lol MS, there will be a workaround within hours of when MS releases their antipiracy thing

Posted Sat 03 Jun 06 @ 10:26 pm
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
feel free to inform me when there is ;).

Posted Sat 03 Jun 06 @ 10:56 pm
their already is a work around for users of illegal copies, dont use windows updade or install anything to do with that shit and get standalone updates or slip the lates updates to ur Install CD ;)

Posted Sat 03 Jun 06 @ 11:14 pm
There's been a workaround for weeks, I've already posted it ;-) You'll have to search google a little if you're unsure how the file protection works though, as the files are protected and will reappear in seconds even if you manage to delete them.

Posted Sun 04 Jun 06 @ 1:25 am
The best way to guard against this... use a Mac.

Then you won't have to deal with freezing, crashing, re-formatting, uninstalling/re-installing the OS and applications, viruses, adware, spyware, defragging/optimizing, or any of that fun windows stuff.

Now there's more software for Mac since you can run all windows apps and Mac only apps. With the massive amount of people switching to Mac from windows daily [I witness 2 -4 a day, 5x a week, and have done so for the past 4 years... and those are just my customers], those people are now DEMANDING Mac versions of windows software because they don't appreciate being forced to use windows because of an application, therefore subjecting them to the plague that is windows.

But, yeah... go microsoft.

Posted Sun 04 Jun 06 @ 1:29 am
Erm.. sure... The best way to guard it is not to use pirated software. Mac OSX is locked to its hardware. Not so long ago you could not have one without the other, so owning a Mac would involve owning a legal OS and the problem wouldn't exist in the first place...

Also Virtual PC on Mac would not be able to handle a program like Virtual DJ with acceptable results, especially for video usage. If you mention bootcamp, the same problem applies as a standard PC.

Posted Sun 04 Jun 06 @ 1:33 am
Erm... no.

Even eliminating pirated software from a windows computer doesn't make windows any better of an OS [still running a registry based architecture with BIOS on Q-DOS... ahem, MS-DOS?... interesting]. Oh, and the NT kernal, no matter how much microsoft tried to market to people that it wasn't, was and is still based on that *cough* "foundation" *cough*.

I don't have any pirated software on my legal copy of windows xp, the only thing I use windows on my Mac for is VDJ. But I still get treated to the constant bombardment of advertisements by the OS that "my computer might be at risk" [duh... using windows is a risk] and random freezes that request that I send an error report to "oh, so trustworthy" microsoft.

Hardware wizard is a joy too. Ever hear of Plug and Play? Macs are. windows? Plug and Pray.

The GUI looks like someone at microsoft gave a child an SDK; "I want bright green and red and yellow and blue... just like my school toys!" But they last longer and actually work.

On the subject of amateurish GUI's, THANK GOD VDJ is open source and has an SDK so that individuals can make the program look professional! The default skin is... let's just say... very microsoft windowsish.

That will change with windows xp sp3 though... um, I mean vista... because they are just trying to make it look like what Mac OS X has looked like for the past 5 years. At least the hardware requirements will be reasonable though since vista isn't a pile of bloated junkware... oh, wait... reports coming in that you will need the highest end hardware specs just to get the copied "eye candy" available at the time it actually does get released [April 2007, right? Originally slated for '05 release? '06, forget about it.] Well, let's just say within the the first decade [2010] of the 21st century just to be safe, that way microsoft can release on December 30th of 2009 and claim that they released early.

And it will still be junk... and eons behind Mac OS X.

You know how VDJ is way ahead of Serrato? Multiply that by 10 and you've got Mac OS X's lead over microsoft's OS's. Mac OS X 10.5 will be the heaviest hit on the head of the nail in microsoft's OS development coffin that was first put in place in '01 withe the release of Mac OS X, but given it's first devestating hit with 10.2 Jaguar in '02 and has been steadily digging in further with each release thereafter [10.3 Jaguar, and 10.4 Tiger].

"Mac OSX is locked to its hardware" - Yup. It's called quality control. THAT is why Macs are so stable, therefore reliable, and productive; SEAMLESS INTEGRATION between the 2 most important parts of ANY computer, the OS and it's hardware. This LACK of quality control in windows boxes is the REASON that windows users have to deal with hardware incompatability issues, driver updates and driver "rollbacks", in case the newly added hardware stops working altogether... how funny is that?!!!

It's not. It's sad.

"Not so long ago you could not have one without the other," - That still is the case. However, if you're referring to the fact that Mac OS X can be hacked on to a non-Apple configuration, we're not worried about that. Those people have been learning, and will continue to learn why Apple's Mac OS X on Apple's Macintosh computers is so stable. As I said before, quality control.

"so owning a Mac would involve owning a legal OS and the problem wouldn't exist in the first place..." - BINGO! Give that man a prize! Everybody wins in that scenario! The end user gets a high quality computer that will last them 2-3x longer and work reliably, and Apple doesn't need to resort to extreme measures to deter users from putting it's OS on random, unstable configurations.

"Also Virtual PC on Mac would not be able to handle a program like Virtual DJ with acceptable results, especially for video usage" - I couldn't agree with you more. Parallel Workstation should be fine though in it's final release: http://www.parallels.com/en/products/workstation/mac/. Also, VMWare has already commited to a Mac OS version of their virtualization software as well.

Virtual PC for Mac is junk emulation software. Who the heck is the joke company that makes that cruel joke of an application anyway?!!! http://www.microsoft.com/mac/products/virtualpc/virtualpc.aspx?pid=virtualpc

"If you mention bootcamp, the same problem applies as a standard PC." - Exactly my point. If you mean that a pirated copy of windows on a Mac using Boot Camp will also get an end user this new microsoft piracy banner, then yes kiddies, DO NOT STEAL [unlike microsoft themselves].

As I mentioned in my previous post though, end-users who are [and have been for years] switching from windows to Macs [you never see Mac users switching to windows unless it's a VERY specific and isolated situation... or they're just too retarded to un-learn windows because the "learning curve" for Mac is non-existent] will NOT tolerate beng forced to use windows for a specific application, therefore exposing them to all of the problems that come with windows.

FYI, hackers hack windows because it's so easy to hack, NOT because it's more popular [it certainly isn't better]. Hackers hack for bragging rights, NOT monetary gain. What bigger bragging right is there than to hack an OS like Mac OS X that people to percieve to be unhackable? Mac is not unhackable [we will get hit], but even if we get 1, 10, 100, or 1,000 security breaches, we'll still be a lot better off than ANY windows OS based computer.

114,000 known viruses for windows just in 2005?!!! http://www.apple.com/getamac/ads/

You can keep that, I'll stay with Mac.

But don't trust a Mac users perspective on all this. Listen to microsoft's own employees opinions on this blog about their company, vista, Mac OS X, and acwhole lot more. Have fun, and remember, "Knowledge is power"!

Tuesday, March 21, 2006 "Vista 2007. Fire the leadership now!"
http://minimsft.blogspot.com/2006_03_01_minimsft_archive.html

But back on topic:

DON'T STEAL!!! ... especailly crappy OS's from criminal organizations.

Posted Sun 04 Jun 06 @ 3:29 am
I kept my post on topic, the problem was with an antipiracy warning. What you've done is turn this into a mac vs windows debate. There's no need for it, this isn't a forum for fanboys to bash operating systems.

Emulating Windows has existed for ages, but emulating all the DirectX functionality well isn't as easy to accomplish. I am well aware of vmware and have used it, but it doesn't compare to the real thing. Sure it's better than linux's wine but you try launcing a DirectSound or Direct3D app and you will experience performance issues, I don't doubt that the software you posted will be any different. And Virtual PC wasn't created by Microsoft but whatever.

Posted Sun 04 Jun 06 @ 3:36 am
Andrew87 wrote :
And actually Virtual PC wasn't created by Microsoft but whatever.

Virtual PC was created by Connectix and bought by microsoft back in 2003 [in typical microsoft anti-competitive "if we can't make it, we'll buy it [innovation and/or company] and a] say we created it if it works or b] make it worse or, c] kill it off because it exposes our junk for the junk that it is" fashion.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtualpc/evaluation/pr_acquire.mspx

All this frustration stems from the fact that all I want is VDJ 4 for Mac. =) ... and also that this new anti-piracy measure by microsoft sux just as much as their software does. =P

If not, I'll just have to settle on Numark Virtual Vinyl for Mac [hopefully] next month.

Again people, DON'T STEAL.

Posted Sun 04 Jun 06 @ 3:54 am
Dj XeoPRO InfinityMember since 2005
forget it coming out a few days ago, i had this for about 3 weeks now. just dont update is the lesson this teaches us. there is a simple way to get rid of it. or there used to be anyway.

Posted Sun 04 Jun 06 @ 4:26 am
Dj Xeo wrote :
forget it coming out a few days ago, i had this for about 3 weeks now. just dont update is the lesson this teaches us. there is a simple way to get rid of it. or there used to be anyway.

Seriously? Wow.

I would think the lesson would be, oh i dunno, DON'T STEAL.

Not updating windows OS is just going to make an already unstable OS even more unstable.

Buy a legal copy of windows and DON'T STEAL. Or better yet, buy a Mac and demand a Mac version of VDJ 4. =)

- windows + VDJ = lose/win situation

- Mac + VDJ = win/win situatuion

When you "win" [use windows], you lose.

Posted Sun 04 Jun 06 @ 4:34 am
Dj XeoPRO InfinityMember since 2005
if vv is getting made for the mac VDJ could easily follow. who would be making the mac version? Atomix surely? If they are rewriting the coe for the mac version they can surely follow up with mac version of VDJ

Posted Sun 04 Jun 06 @ 4:35 am
Dj Xeo wrote :
if vv is getting made for the mac VDJ could easily follow. who would be making the mac version? Atomix surely? If they are rewriting the coe for the mac version they can surely follow up with mac version of VDJ

I KNOW! You would think so right?!!!

This is what is drivving me nuts!!! Yet no one will confirm a Mac version and I need to make a decision whether to buy VDJ 3.4 right now and continue to use it in win xp on my Mac until the Mac version comes out, or if I need to buy something else until Numark's Virtual Vinyl for Mac comes out.

Here's my post on another thread on these forums from last night:

"Okay. I've read through a lot of the threads and a ton of posts, and the best answers I've gotten so far on a MAC VERSION of VDJ 4 is a "probably", and a "if there is one, it'll be an annual snapshot of the windows version" meaning the windows version will be updated a lot more frequently while the Mac version will be updated once or twice a year.

I don't care if the Mac version will only be updated once or twice a year, as the obvious benefit of having a Mac version is not worrying about windows taking it's latest dump at the most in-opportune time.

All I want to know is if there will be a Mac version. I mean seriously, isn't the dev team far enough along to at least be able to confirm or deny this?!

We all know that Numark' Virtual Vinyl will have both Mac and windows versions, so if that software is basically VDJ, why the heck would there not be a Mac version of VDJ 4 as well?

Please someone, I am in a very difficult position right now. I am currently using a Hercules MK2 Console with VDJ console edition on a MacBook running windows xp sp2 using Boot Camp, and I absolutely HATE IT. I am going to return the Hercules MK2 but I need to know whether to buy VDJ 3 right now [and continue to use win xp] so that I can upgrade to VDJ 4 when it comes out IF there will be a Mac version, OR if I'm going to need to wait until July for Numark to release Virtual Vinyl and their Mac version

I'd really prefer to buy VDJ as I like the extra hardware control features that Virtual Vinyl won't have, since Numark is only focusing on TCV and TCCD users.

Please someone, advise me asap as I have to return this Hercules console this weekend before my return period ends.

Thanks all!"

Posted Sun 04 Jun 06 @ 4:43 am
I agree with your statements about VV and a standard VDJ for mac. However, if they're going to port it to mac they should also get a linux port going on a customised boot from cd distro. Much better as you won't need any os. Well, for PC users anyway.

Posted Sun 04 Jun 06 @ 4:58 am
Andrew87 wrote :
I agree with your statements about VV and a standard VDJ for mac. However, if they're going to port it to mac they should also get a linux port going on a customised boot from cd distro. Much better as you won't need any os. Well, for PC users anyway.

I don't mind a version for Linux either, although I won't use it. What I do mind is VDJ being available ONLY for the WORST of those 3 OS's [Mac, Linux, windows].

I just don't see why no one will confirm a Mac version of VDJ since everybody already kmows that there will be a Mac version of Virtual Vinyl.

Good for Numark for recognizing the importance of a Mac version. VDJ's features are superior to Serato, Final Scratch, Ms. Pinky, etc. But VDJ's support is inferior if they don't support Mac OS X when all of those others do.

They see the importance, why doesn't Atomix?! I don't think that they wouldn't. Someone confirm please.

This is just silly.

Posted Sun 04 Jun 06 @ 5:17 am
Hi,

Do you speak about old version or cracked version of Windows XP ? or sp1?

learn to use XP or a computer !!!

lol !

I'm happy with Windows Xp SP2.

I don't use a Antivirus. I use just the Xp2 integrated firewall and a antispyware.

I've never had a virus because i don't use a software for my mail. I read my mail on the webpage.

I don't use cracked software or edonkey !!!

I've both a Mac and a PC.

I still prefer Windows Xp and software available for XP.

My PC works better than the MAC.

Vista need more memory, but I've checked as a betatester the Beta2 windows Vista 5384, and it work great and Virtual DJ and others audio applications use less CPU under vista ( the gain is 30/40% of CPU)

Windows Vista is a mac killer.

They are some comparaison in http://www.osx86project.org/ between Windows Xp and mac OSX with the same hardware.

When mac used PowerPC, i'm sure you are a kind of people that say that powerPC is superior to Intel processor. That G5 is faster !!!!. Now Apple go for Intel, and software have to be rewritten or recompiled.

Next steps to apple, to switch to Windows. (Mac users need to have a dual boot on their mac intel)

lol

Regards,

Olivier

Posted Sun 04 Jun 06 @ 11:01 am
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Actually a lot of people have this notice who are "legal" users of Windows XP, think about it. And you'd have to be stupid to happily pay the RRP for windows XP (to Microsoft).., I'd rather send the money to a more worthy cause, until Microsoft get real about their pricing.

Posted Sun 04 Jun 06 @ 1:17 pm
38%