Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: CD Scracthing - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

Phatt BPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Hey everyone again, lol
I'v been doing some reaserch on tt's and cd players, and I'v just got a couple of Q's.

1. In the description of some cd players it says something like, vinyl-like control, or sensitive jog wheel for real time scracting. Well there has to be a fair few DJs here that use cd's and im wondering what is the scratch sensation like on cd's, is it the same as vinyls or is it lesser in quality?

2. Is there anything that cd players have that make them superiour to tt's, or visa versa?

Thanks

Phatt B

Posted Sat 03 Jun 06 @ 7:20 am
Why yoou nead ths cd players? The best way how to scracth n cd s time cde vinyl's

Posted Sat 03 Jun 06 @ 9:37 am
I wan to know about cd player becuase they are more practicle these days and are more portable, instead of carting around big tt's.
Also cd players take up less room, and that is good when your my age (15) and dont have alot of room in my own private room.

Phatt B

Posted Sat 03 Jun 06 @ 12:13 pm
phillydjPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
the best way to go as far as scratching is tt's no cd player can perfectly give u the same feeling but if u want to try the cd's pioneer makes some good digital tables

Posted Sat 03 Jun 06 @ 5:17 pm
Ok thanks for that phillydj.
Yea I thought that tt's will give the best scratching, but i was reading a review on one of the cd decks (I think it was a pioneer one) and this dj said; that if you got any random guy and told them to turn their back and then listen to the scratch of this cd, then scratch tt that with you wouldn't be able to hear a differnce.
That is why i started this thread just to see what some others think, and to help me choose.
So if there are any more dj's put there that have experience with cd decks then yea, join the thread.

Phatt B

Posted Sun 04 Jun 06 @ 6:36 am
Try dennon 5000, scratch feels like tt, Ewout.

Posted Sun 04 Jun 06 @ 6:44 pm
pioneers do sound good ..even there dual deck cmx3000

Posted Sun 04 Jun 06 @ 7:20 pm
Denon & Pioneers are the only way to go if your wanting to scratch via CD. Numark also is getting into it as well, which I have heard is alright, called the Axis 9.

Past that, I don't recommend getting into CDJ'ing, granted it's easier, but if you're looking into getting into DJ'ing for popularity purposes, you will never get any credibility CDJ'ing. If you're doing this for kicks and giggles, sure go with CDJ'ing, because I'm sure your CD collection is nice and stout as opposed to vinyl.

I personally had to make this choice awhile back, and I went with vinyl and couldn't be happier with my decision, but in your case I recommend the Numark CDX.

Posted Sun 04 Jun 06 @ 9:27 pm
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
What a completely contradictory statement amounting to absolutely no sense.

Posted Sun 04 Jun 06 @ 10:12 pm
Rob NHome userMember since 2006
CoreyDavis your comemnts a load of arse.

Credibility?

CDJs are no different to using turntable, everything you do on them is just like using a turntable, aswell as the ability to do more!

This is the 00s now mate, the digital era, your comment is like saying that its better to still walk around with tape walkmans rather than an ipod.

Get real

Posted Sun 04 Jun 06 @ 10:28 pm
Credibility to the opposing DJ? Sure, in terms of battle scratching (which you being a CDJ, I'm sure you know nothing about battles, because you would look stupid battling as a CDJ). The top DJ's are all vinyl based DJ's (Q, A-Trak, Chrustue Z-Pabon, Roc Raida, Mix Master Mike, D-Styles, Shortkut, Yogafrog, Swamp, Craze...etc). Want to bring digital era in this? OK, well DJ A-Trak is a measly 19, and does quite fine in the DMC competitions on Vinyl. Fact of the matter is I also should of thought of where I am before speaking. Think about it, all of you all are Virtual, Technical based DJ's, the "new" era of DJ's, so of course you will not see the prestige of old school. Instead, you all will look at this through a bias being these Internet DJ's are just flat out surplussed now.

This thread was about CD scratching, correct? Sure ok well lets say we get the Numark TTX turntable, against the Pioneer CDJ...acts like duck, quacks like a duck? What's the difference, well let's put this in symbolism...

If I taught a parrot to quack like a duck, act like a duck, that must mean it's a duck right? No. Look at it that way for the CDJ as opposed to Vinyl Based DJ, sure all the bells and whistle but most DJ's (legit DJ's without biases) are not going to take the CDJ's as serious, this is not my opinion, these are the facts. I personally feel CDJ is great for practicing at home, but I would never gig myself out with it, appearance is 50% of DJ'ing folks and I feel taking these out on a gig would dumb me down.

Keep in my mind, I'm young myself and prefer Vinyl over CD Turntables, and was always taught by the DJ's around me that CD turntables weren't "as" legit.

Sorry, if I pressed a button, but at the same time most here I'm sure are CDJ's.

Posted Sun 04 Jun 06 @ 10:54 pm
CoreyDavis wrote :
Past that, I don't recommend getting into CDJ'ing, granted it's easier, but if you're looking into getting into DJ'ing for popularity purposes, you will never get any credibility CDJ'ing..

Sorry guy, but its only a matter of time now for vinyl to die out anyway(in the clubs that is..).. Many clubs do not even use TTs in their basic setup anymore. I have been in the rental business for years and during the last year I have seen a sharp increase in CDJ rentals and our SL1200 stock has been cut in half due to low demand..

Posted Sun 04 Jun 06 @ 11:19 pm
Rob NHome userMember since 2006
"all of you all are Virtual, Technical based DJ's, the "new" era of DJ's, so of course you will not see the prestige of old school. Instead, you all will look at this through a bias being these Internet DJ's are just flat out surplussed now. "

LOL! So being the fact that i use two technic 1210 turntables, you think i'm biased towards the digital era?
Would be a good idea to realise who's commenting before jumping guns and assuming, after all we all know what is the mother of all f*kups.

CDJs give you all means of accesablity, ie: the ability to set your cue points, so yes you've guessed it, no more crappy bits of coloured stickers all over your vinyl to guess where abouts your que is. No having to quickly change vinyls ot get to your next beat/sample/scratch/vocal, you can have it all set up on one cd and just change it to the track number as and when required, simple and easy. No risk of needles jumping/scratching the vinyl/breaking needles.

The scratch mode on CDJs give you the exact replica of a vinyl, you pull the platter back, it hops back across the beat, you push it forward - yep you guessed it - it hops forward across the beat.

So wheres the looping functions on turntables? No of course your too busy having to play two exact copies of the sample you want to loop on two turn tables, and having to manually loop it, which means you have no spare hands/time to do other things over the looping! CDJ i can get my loop, if i want to increase the tempo i can with pure ease, then add an effect, voila, simple.

I'm not slagging off vinyls, as a vinylist myself (only because i havent got the spare cash for CDJs just yet) i do love mixing with it. But i've used CDJs many times and its easy to see why thousands of DJs have turned CD only, i could write pages on the advantages of going CD, but i'll give you one biggy and major one (which is vital if your a club and radio DJ like me).. COST.

£5-£8 a vinyl
£0.50 - £2 a MP3

Do the math mate, i could get about 10 tracks on MP3 for about a tenner, where as it would cost near enough £100 for the same amount of tracks on Vinyl.

Posted Mon 05 Jun 06 @ 12:00 am
When i started i started on vinyl so i guess that makes me a credible dj ...but everyone who didnt start on vinyl isnt credible? your gonna have to look at the definition for Pro Dj one more time i dont see anything that says you have to start on vinyl for credabilty. and I grew up and continue to live in a city where its all about credabilty. not trying to push buttons but in a few years i sincerly doubt too many vinylist will continue to use vinyl only for there events. i stopped years back for cost and effiency dont get me wrong i have 4 1200's i use everyday for my own purposes but there wont be to many new dj's who will start on vinyl..just look at all u save by starting with cd or pc. and im sure these new dj's can blend like the rest of us ..yes it might be easier for them because of the program ..but we have to grow with the times and get better with whats out there now

Posted Mon 05 Jun 06 @ 1:36 am
who cares what a dj uses really... as long as it works for that dj, its a good tool for him....

cdjs, vinyls, timecode... so what... as long as it works for you...

Not to put any fuel to the argument but as a comment to the CDJs vs Vinyl comments.. here is one from DJ MAG:
The following are comments made by the world's top DJs. They can be found in the DJ Magazine's Top 100 DJs issue

Rank Name Quote

02 - Tiesto - "I've moved totally to CDs this year - vinyl is dead"
05 - Ferry Corsten - ...."I've pretty much switched to CDs"
08 - Deep Dish - "We're touring with a bank of Pioneer equipment and toying with Ableton"
10 - Carl Cox - "I have changed over to using three Pioneer CD players..."
16 - Marco V - "I've started using the Pioneer DVD players, which is a fantastic way to make the visuals really fit into the tracks"
20 - Sander Kleinenberg - "I'm incorporating DVJ and imagery into my sets"
22 - Benny Benassi - "I'm fond of Pioneer stuff, their CD players, mixers, new FX rack. I like to remix tracks that were not originally club tracks, to be more original if I can"
26 - Infected Mushroom - "Using the CDJ-1000s and laptops...."
30 - Steve Lawler - "Last September I converted entirely to CDs. So I'm using the CDJ-1000 along with the Pioneer EFX-1000. It's changed the whole way a DJ can mix, you can basically re-edit and remix tracks on the fly"
42 - Bad Boy Bill - "I'm taking it more digital and visual with Pioneer CDJs and DVJs"
46 - Andy Moor - "I use Pioneer CDJ-1000s and FX from a laptop..."
48 - Ricky Stone - "I'm now 100% digital. I really love the Pioneer CDJ-1000s.."
64 - Jeff Mills - I'm using the Pioneer DVJ-X1, but the most important thing is that people have a good time"

I'm not saying I agree... with either the cdjs being great, or vinyl being better...

I'm just saying.. .who cares.... As long as it works for you, it the tool for you... simply as that 'Source: DJ Magazine Top 100 DJs 2005'. http://www.djmag.com

Posted Mon 05 Jun 06 @ 1:54 am
well what a debate this ahs turned out to be. lol. Also thanks for the help i think you have made a decision for me! Thank you! But still its a long way off.

Phatt B

Posted Mon 05 Jun 06 @ 2:22 pm
So what's your decision Phatt B?? (Had to ask)

I'm debating the TCV vs. TCCD thing myself -- was leaning towards TCV, but now after reading this thread I'm reconsidering! I was under the impression about the "credibility" thing, that vinyl is the way to go to be taken seriously by the DJ community... But given that many of the biggest name DJs are switching to CDs, the "credibility" factor seems to have already embraced CDs! So, good news... And there are definitely real advantages to CDs, as described in previous posts... Now how do I save up enough money to afford a Pioneer CD1000?!?!

Posted Mon 05 Jun 06 @ 3:52 pm
CDs and Vinyl are both accepted in today's clubbing world. vinyl is heavy and bulky and many clubs are making smaller DJ booths to get more people in. leaving very little room for vinyl or turntables.

I love TCV and use them ONLY for mobile gigs. But don't get turntables if you have no vinyl to back yourself up.

Posted Mon 05 Jun 06 @ 10:48 pm
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Great advice from the Devil himself ;).

Posted Mon 05 Jun 06 @ 10:54 pm
Ok this is a debate , between tt vs cd players, and I agree that cd players belongs to the new era and they have more advantages that tt don't, but for me those that don't know how to mix using tt is not considered a "real dj", since with tt you can demostrate how skillful you are meanwhile with cd players everything is mainly computarized , I've realized about this in dj's conquests since most of the "new djs" don't know even how to switch on the tt, and they only use cd players for the exhibition, and that's ridiculous for djs that are called pro, Ewout.

Posted Tue 06 Jun 06 @ 1:36 am
63%