Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Ditching The PCDJ & Coming Over - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

MrMikePRO InfinityMember since 2006
Hey everybody......I am currently a PCDJ user and I am thinking about coming over to the VDJ world as soon as tomorrow. I am currently using a DAC-3 w/ PCDJ RED. I just had a few questions that I was hoping someone could help clear up for me.

First.....I am running my PCDJ RED right now off of a pretty basic laptop setup. It's a Dell Inspirion 6000 (Pentium M 1.60GHz, 80GB HD, 504MB RAM)....nothing special as far as a sound/video card goes. My main reason for wanting the VDJ is the video...and I know to do so I am going to need to upgrade quite a bit. I was hoping someone can tell me what exactly I am going to need to upgrade....

Also, I am using an M-Audio Fast Track Pro as my interface with my current setup. Am I going to be needing that with the VDJ? And am I still going to need a new/upgraded sound card still?

I am kind of new in this whole digital DJing thing and especially when it comes to video. Any help would be greatly appreciated......Thanks!

Posted Sat 03 Jun 06 @ 4:13 am
abnormPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Looks like you have a good hardware setup. You should have no problems running VDJ with Fast Track Pro. It's a very nice soundcard, but not sure if it is compatible with Timcoded Vinyl (Turntable connectivity), eventhough it does have 2 inputs. Welcome to the VDJ team!

Posted Sat 03 Jun 06 @ 5:04 am
Wow...I thought at the very least I would need to upgrade my video card.... Thank you for the quick reply!!!

Posted Sat 03 Jun 06 @ 6:54 am
if its for home use, and you are only video mixing for yourself, you laptop migth already do well...

If you are going to have video-out to monitors at a club etc with hardware acceleration enabled you need a good 3d graphic card, such as Ati or Nvida.

You can always try the demo to check:
http://www.virtualdj.com/download.html

And hope to see you as a VDJ member soon ;)

Posted Sat 03 Jun 06 @ 2:19 pm
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Glad you made the investment MrMike, I'm sure you'll agree it's a great buy ;), welcome to the community!

Posted Sat 03 Jun 06 @ 9:47 pm
I've switched from PCDJ to VDJ and I have never looked back! Welcome to the family!

Posted Mon 05 Jun 06 @ 2:06 am
I made the switch a while back as well. It's sweet that it works so much better and can do video with the right hardware. I agree about the video card. Also, your dac will work great with the plugin. The keys work exactly the same. Also, there are a great variety of skins. That makes a huge difference as well.

Good luck.

Killabee44

Posted Tue 06 Jun 06 @ 4:34 am
I'm a former PCDJ user as well. You will soon see, it's as different as night and day over here. And you will love VDJ

Posted Tue 06 Jun 06 @ 9:43 pm
phillydjPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
welcome to the vdj family ..hope everything goes well

Posted Tue 06 Jun 06 @ 11:35 pm
welcome home i made the move when it was atomixmp3,pcdj kill them self when they upgrade to FX may it RIP.

Posted Tue 06 Jun 06 @ 11:44 pm
DJ CyderPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
Mrmike,

You'll see a lot of familer faces over here. Welcome

Posted Tue 06 Jun 06 @ 11:45 pm
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!! It's been a few days now with the program and yes....the difference is night and day compared to PCDJ. Still trying to figure out the whole video card situation. I brought it to a "computer guy" for some suggestions as to what to actually upgrade to and he told me that you can not put an upgraded video card in my Inspiron 6000. Like I said above I am not too familiar with all the ins and outs of these computers so if someone can tell me if there is any truth to this I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks...

Posted Wed 07 Jun 06 @ 4:38 am
they are probably right about upgrading the video card in a laptop, its just not done. Best thing to do is to find out what video card you have. Then try it out with you secondary monitor connected. Oh and tell everyone else still stranded in pcdj land to come on over we got beers in the back...

Posted Wed 07 Jun 06 @ 4:43 am
Hi everyone,this is my first post.Two weeks ago I purchased VDJ and got to use it for the first time(Friday at a bar GiG)(Sat. Wedding) I had no problems and was able to feel confident that it would not gag-choke and stutter like my PCDJ has done for the last year,I purchased a New Dell 2.0 gig duo core,2 gig ram,256 vid card to try to get PCDJ to run smoothly while operating Sax n Dotty in the background and it still stuttered,Friday night I Ran VDJ with S nD with no issues at all. Life is Good P@40

Cyder I'll take one of those beers,thanks again for the help.

Posted Thu 08 Jun 06 @ 4:33 am
VDJ does not use 3D acceleration as of 3.4 as far as I know.

If P-M can't handle your needs, the current advice is to get one with Dual core (Core Duo series). If you want to future-proof, then make sure it has a ATI Radeon X1000-> or atleast Mobility Radeon 9600 or 9700. For a new laptop I would recommend also getting 1 GB of RAM and 5400 rpm or possibly E7K100, otherwise the fast CPU is hindered by slow disk access (which increases with little RAM).

Posted Thu 08 Jun 06 @ 4:48 am
phillydjPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
why are u running sax n dotty's in the background? vdj can do karaoke

Posted Thu 08 Jun 06 @ 10:02 am
phillydj wrote :
why are u running sax n dotty's in the background? vdj can do karaoke

I need a program with a hosting capability to handle singer rotation.

P@40

Posted Thu 08 Jun 06 @ 12:37 pm
P@40

could you explain exacltly what it woud take to give up sax's for good?

Posted Thu 08 Jun 06 @ 2:23 pm
Thanks for asking Jason,what I'm looking for is the ability to type in singers names and the requested song onto say a pop up window,this "Que sheet" would allow you to handle an unlimited amount of names and say a new singer submits a request I could then insert that name at the top of the list.Also it would be nice to be able to move any of the names around in case you call someone up and they are in the bathroom etc.
It would also be nice to have a up/down arrow that would have preset song keys and that info would go onto the que sheet and automaticly change the song key when you load that performer.
I know karaoke songs come up with a "K" symbol in the library but it would be nice if there was say a large K button on the main screen so only karaoke zip files would be viewed it would thin out the library as you were searching.
It would be kind of cool to if on the main screen there were buttons "M" Music,"K" Karaoke,and "V" Video to toggle from one media to another.
Some of this stuff might be available already I'm new to VDJ.

P@40

I'll still take that beer.LOL

Posted Thu 08 Jun 06 @ 5:18 pm
Well it looks like we are halfway there, down at the bottom of the screen you'll see something called a side list. The side list works a lot like the cue list in sax's, so i'll ask the dev team if we can add a text field to it for a future version.

Posted Thu 08 Jun 06 @ 6:01 pm
77%