Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Over 30 and still a Pro - Page: 2

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I'll be 37 in a coupla months. I actually started spinning in the club, which is pretty backwards. It was an 18 and over club back in like 1985 or 1986. I never thought I'd make a career out of it but here I am 20 years later, still spinning. I put down the turntables for a really long time though after I got sick of carrying all that vinyl around. I've just recently re-purchased turntables in the last year. I now have a pair of Technics 1200 M3D for mobile, a pair of MKII for the home studio and a Stanton T.80 with SPDIF out for archiving vinyl. I also have the Technics SL-DZ1200 CD turntables as well.

As much fun as nightclubs are,.. they will never be as profitable as doing mobile gigs, at least for the average DJ. If you're a superstar DJ then you can get $10,000 a night or more at clubs, but there aren't many of those.

My best advice if you're starting out,.. know your music. All of it. Music knowledge will always beat skills for rocking a party. Learn how to read a crowd, as important or more important than knowing music. Don't buy crap gear. It's tempting when you're starting out to load up your coffins and racks with BUDGET gear because you think it will get the job done and it will work pretty good. You always end up replacing the budget gear with real gear.

That's probably my top tips right there.

How long do I plan on doing this? Not sure, never really thought about it. I guess until it stops being fun.

Posted Wed 24 May 06 @ 5:45 pm
I'm near 30, so hope this goes on, on, on, over 30, 40, ...

Posted Thu 25 May 06 @ 9:32 am
As we get older so do our audiences, but we stay young because we meet lots of young people and know the new music.

It's great and I for one always find it fun (and get paid for it)

Asymptote

Posted Thu 25 May 06 @ 1:17 pm
I'm only 26 and spin public reguralry just for 3 years.
Since my 14 i produced music for 8-bit atari games ... made some school gigs with 2 walkmans :-)
and at 17 i started to collect music.

But now when I play at bar I feel old. With all those 18's around.
But it's good when some 30's come and enjoy all good music I grew up on.

Posted Thu 25 May 06 @ 2:18 pm
When I started DJing wasn't seen as a potential career.

Now, DJing is a career and so is all that goes with clubs, management, music promotion A&R etc.

I told myself a lot of years ago that because I enjoyed DJing so much, didn't have any qualifications and had daytimes free I should study. I did that and got loads of qualifications now have a great day job and still DJ. Without the funding from DJing I wouldn't have been able to do it.

Posted Thu 25 May 06 @ 3:20 pm
Hey, what an inspiring thread! I'm 29, so almost the big 3-0! I have a day job that pays me well enough, but just got started DJ'ing recently and totally love it! After years of hearing the music, finally making it myself! But I needed my regular career, doing biomedical research, to afford the gear ;) It's nice now though, I don't have any pressure to try and make money from DJ'ing, only doing it to discover and share the music I find...

Posted Thu 25 May 06 @ 8:56 pm
d rocksPRO InfinityMember since 2006
It is fun most of the time. But someone above said that it is fun to play for the older crowd because you can play the music you grew up on. That is true. Look at a lot of the music that is out today. Is it me or does the new genreatio of artist have no origianl talent. How many songs are out today that are remakes of older songs. Don't get me wrong some of is good, but I guess they have run out of notes to be original music. So yea it is fun to play the original stuff. I did a party last fall for a 16 year old. The kids came up and asked if I had this new song out called " In The Name OF Love" I could not figure out what they were asking for. Fianlly someone sang a verse. They were asking for Pour Some Sugar On Me, from Def Leopard. Wow where have I been for 20 years. lol

Posted Fri 26 May 06 @ 12:30 am
Glad to see I'm not the only one. I'm almost 40 but I look a lot younger. I still play an average of 3 days per week in clubs and private functions (which are more profitable but lugging the amps sucks!). I've been doing this off and on for 23 years now. I started back in high school doing the dances, It's been great fun at times and very trying at other times. There are some nights that just... well I'm sure we've all had 'em. Cheers all keep it up!

Posted Fri 26 May 06 @ 2:11 am
"..technics 1200 cd player was nice, but pioner was pretty much the front runner for cd turntables".

Actually, they were first, I'm talking about the Technics SL-P1200 cd player. They came out in 87 or 88. I got mine in 89. They did not have true instant start, and they were huge. They did not catch on fast enough and Numark came out with a dual player. They were really a shit, but were much cheaper, and it was a dual player. Technics then came out with a SL-P1300, I still have one. This one had a brake(the cd actually stopped when you pressed stop), an A-B loop(not seamless) and xlr, optical, and digital outs. At the time, the industry was slow to adapt to the cd, but I was sold. Once Denon came out with the 2000, it was on.

Posted Fri 26 May 06 @ 9:23 am
I'm 37 and still kickin too. Djing was a weekend hobby. Did some mixes for the radio and for my website. I even ran an internet radio station for a little while. Switched from an IT consultant to a DJ full time. (I still do IT consulting though.) It is cool how I can now merge those two professions together!

DJ Derrick E.
www.djderricke.com
www.myspace.com/djderricke

Posted Fri 26 May 06 @ 9:36 pm
I'm 30 as well, and I start mixing in the early 90's when I was 15 using a couple of turntables with no pitch and I created my own mixer based on a diagram that my teacher in high school gave me. And now it's amazing how evolution has come, with pcs,vdj and a couple of TT technics1200 mk2, greetings to all the comunity!!

Posted Fri 26 May 06 @ 9:46 pm
Just wondering if there are many other youngins here.. I'm 14, 15 in october.. Hoping to have Djing as a part time job while i study for my bachelors degree in applied behavioural sciences :-).
Djing is still new to me, but i love it!!
Sean

Posted Sat 27 May 06 @ 10:06 am
squidPRO InfinityMember since 2005
hey im 36 and still spinning,think im gonna do it til i cant hear no more lol

Posted Mon 19 Jun 06 @ 3:30 pm
cuttaHome userMember since 2006
i'm 48 and after playing guitar in rock bands for years i became addicted to drum and bass about 5 months ago......i practice sets every night, usually 1.5 to 2 hour sets, practicing transissions, effects
etc....
I am kinda bummed though....i can't seem to get a foot in the door, i don't care about money, weddings
all i want to do is bust a dnb set at a club, but it seems i am too old for the scene or the crews feel that way, plus dnb seems to have way more "rules" than rock ever did...vinyl is key and i see no reason to buy any, i have insane musical knowledge do my own remixes and have confidense.......don't know if i will ever get out, for now i just support the scene, the dj's....and play amazing sets to my family, cats and nieghbors(unwillingly) for now........

Posted Mon 19 Jun 06 @ 5:50 pm
djsherzPRO InfinityMember since 2006
I'm 28, but I feel about 40 this week... does that count?

Posted Mon 19 Jun 06 @ 7:01 pm
I turned 54 last week, and don't remember what 40 felt like.

Posted Mon 19 Jun 06 @ 7:16 pm
32 here been playin since 17 ... I Remember back in my day...... we used "Records" They were so huge, they were the size of dinner tables! lol
Actually I used to have one that played from the inside to the outside, just like a CD!

Posted Tue 20 Jun 06 @ 3:40 pm
spindocPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Hi all, I'm almost 46 and I've been spinning since 1977. Ah... those were the days. Heavy vinyl, turntables, amps, everything!!!
Now with VDJ, powered speakers, compact lighting, etc. It all fits into the family car, no sore backs, a music catalog SO huge you could never have carried it around in the 'old days'. Life is fantastic, DJing is fantastic and I cannot see an end in sight! Cheers from downunder.

Posted Tue 20 Jun 06 @ 4:48 pm
joetmenPRO InfinityMember since 2005
you're a nostalgic dj...
I'm only 17 years old, but I just want to try dj-ing as you did in the "old days"...
Quote :
...those were the days.

and I'll do it with turntables and TCVs, 'cause technologic innovation follows classical systems and now we are digital jockey because "once upon a time" (!!!!!) there were disk jockeys...
do you agree??

Posted Tue 20 Jun 06 @ 5:01 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)