Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Over 30 and still a Pro - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

phillydjPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
Whats going on all i just wanted to make sure im not the only Pro Dj still mixing things up after hitting the big 3-0 (not too long ago). Also of course i have other things to fall back on, but for anyone else over 30 how much longer do they see themselves doing this? Im not an independant Dj I work for a company down here in Philly and beside Dj'ing I built and design all of our Pc's (the other Dj's seem partial to another program but there coming around after the video's)

Posted Tue 23 May 06 @ 6:32 pm
I'm 31, but dj-ing only during the weekends. I have a normal job as software developer during weekdays. Currently I do abou 50 - 60 mobile shows a year.
Ewout

Posted Tue 23 May 06 @ 6:56 pm
Good going, I don't think alot of the over 30 crowd wants to admit it lol...

Posted Tue 23 May 06 @ 8:22 pm
I will be 54, June 7th. I have been spinning for 38 years. I am a Bio-Chemist, but gave that up 20 years ago, to DJ full time. I work in a Gentlemen's club, during the week, and am mobile on the weekends. Actually, I do some corporate gigs during the week also. I have been at this club for 20 years, and younger DJs have been trying to take my job, since day one. What sets me apart from the crowd? Knowledge, dependability, work ethic, and mad skills. There is so much more to being a DJ, then making a mix. It also helps that I worked for the late Richard Long, many moons ago, so I know my way around the booth. I guess if you are good, you can go on forever. I never let them forget, how good I am.

Posted Tue 23 May 06 @ 8:45 pm
I couldn't have put it any better than that. Now thats a Pro Dj ..@ A Man and His Music ..I wish you many more years of spinning....and if i forget Happy (early ) Birthday. Keep showing the younger Dj's how it's done.

Posted Tue 23 May 06 @ 9:09 pm
Theres a few of us about.

I'm 55 in May, did my first paid gig in 1973 - Supported myself and my family while I went through university by DJing and singing in clubs. Like a lot of other people I have a day job now sd an economist. I hung up my headphones in 1998 but that didn't last long because I missed DJing so much, so now am back to it with VDJ.

I thought that there would be no market for older DJs, but it's quite the opposite. Probably cos we remember and know well all that music. In my case only 33 years, but still a long and enjoyable time.

Asymptote

Posted Tue 23 May 06 @ 9:46 pm
wow it's amazing i really didnt think there would be a market for us after a certain age? how was the transition from wax to pc for you? (i hated cd's so they don't count)

Posted Tue 23 May 06 @ 9:52 pm
Vinyl, been there, done that. If I touch vinyl, I might get a rash. I have not touched vinyl since 1990. I was one of the purist. Cd's are fake, don't sound good, did not have pitch, it will never catch on. Then Technics came out with the 1200 cd player with pitch control. I have not looked back. The same thing with a PC. The principle is the same, as far as programming and the mix go. I am not afraid of technology, even though I think it will be the down fall of mankind, but that is another story. One of the things that I have learned is, be first. Always have your competitors chasing you. When you are in front, you don't have to run so hard. Asymptote, you are 55? Damn you are old. When I Grow Up, I want to be just like you. When young guys tell me I am old, I tell them they better wish they make it to be my age.

Posted Tue 23 May 06 @ 10:37 pm
Well,

I used to use decks first of course, then added a couple of CD players from early 80s. I worked for Philips in 1980 to 1985 and demoed CD for them as well as other products.. Met a lot of people who didn't like them, in the early days. but I did probably because I was paid to like them. But I've always used computers, so it's natural to go digital. Because of the wide variety of music I play, there may not always be too much beat mixing and so it will be radio style mixing with a talk over to get the atmosphere going. I really like though whenever possible to put in a house mix in most evenings I do. I started beatmixing in the early 90s I suppose..

At the moment I use TCCD with a Numark CDN95. I have all my tracks on my laptop, but backed up on CDR with MP3s which I can play on the Numark. I also carry a load of CDs too. I sold my old vinyl decks recently, but will probably buy a couple soon. I've got VDJ vinyls, and vinyl is a habit - just in the fingers. Plus which, as a mobile DJ I sometimes think that the audience likes to see decks, so it's a bit like the entertainment. People like to see a DJ cueing and spinning, etc. Like somebody said on another thread, though, theres a temptation to take off the vinyl after each track when you've done it for so many years. One thing I never want to do again is carry all that vinyl.

The main thing is to say that there is a long term career for people in the entertainment industry as DJs, promoters, club managers and all that. Some of the DJs I knew years ago have moved on to running big big clubs for a lot of money.

@ A man and his music etc etc.

Hi

Yes, I guess I'm just slightly older but I heard I'm also slightly better looking than you hehe:)

Posted Tue 23 May 06 @ 10:40 pm
mind you the person that told me had a white stick and a dog.

>:)))

Posted Tue 23 May 06 @ 10:59 pm
It was the dog that was doing the talking. But it's good to be old. A lot of my friends are not here. Some of them never made it out of their teens, so we are blessed. Plus, I have young girls here everyday. That keeps me young. Did I say young girls? It's a damn shame, but someones gotta do it.

Posted Tue 23 May 06 @ 11:33 pm
That girl wasn't a dog.

But you are obviously young just like me. Just cos I've got older doesn't mean I have changed.

The other night I was delighted when my Son who is 16 recognised the bassline from an old Thin Lizzy song just as quick as I did.

Asymptote

Posted Tue 23 May 06 @ 11:44 pm
I'm 24, I know I shouldn't be saying anything here, but, what the heck. I started at 22 n I thought it was too late. Hearing you guys talk like this n reading this post is really nice. It's kind of inspirational. thanks to you guys, we're here. Anyway, hope ya'll have many more years of mixing n keep up the good work. Peace.

Posted Tue 23 May 06 @ 11:53 pm
Well I wil be thirty-six this year and have been djing for over 20 years. I started in the early 80's doing my school dance to make a little extra cash. About ten years ago I left my management position to dj full time. I now have one other dj that works for my company and he just turned thirty. Between the two of us we do about 300 shows a year. Mostly weddings!

I can tell you that age is not a factor when hiring a dj. Most brides are looking for experience not someone that can mix in a club. Even clubs now have been going back to older dj's because they have a wider selection and knowledge of music.

I even do alot of school proms. It is not the age it is how you work your shows and how old you feel. I love to entertain people. I always told myself that the minute this becomes work it is time to stop. Sometimes as you bring the equipment in you ask yourself what am I doing. Then the music kicks in...the lights go down...and it is magic the fun begins and I go that right I love my job!!!!

Trust me when I say that when a bride calls me and has a choice of someone who has done thousand of weddings or someone who is young and just starting out...her choice is always going to be the experience.

The best advice I can give newbee's is learn the music...past, present and future. It is not a bad thing to know Frank Sinatra music as wells as the latest hip hop. The more knowledgable you are about music the wider varity of shows you can do and the more money you can make. Clubs are nice, but the really money is in the private sector.

One thing I did when I was starting out is look for any cd I did not have at yardsales, used shops ect...And when I did a show if someone asked for a song I did not have I made a note of it and bought it the next day. That way if they ever saw me again I had their song. Of course now you can go on line and download it at the show!

Well good luck to all the new comers and great work to the oldies like myself that are still around.

Mike Lanne

Posted Wed 24 May 06 @ 12:57 am
Wow so much knowledge after 30 thats great ..technics 1200 cd player was nice, but pioner was pretty much the front runner for cd turntables. Technics came in the cd turntable game too late. that's my personal opinion on them, i do however love the 1200 Vinyl tuntables i have some i bought in late 80's still running strong. i guess the age made them better too :)

Posted Wed 24 May 06 @ 1:18 am
d rocksPRO InfinityMember since 2006
I guess it is appropriate to jump in now. I am almost 38 and have been djing for about 10 years. I was working for a guy on the weekends and went out on my own about 4 years ago. I can remeber the days of vinyl. No more! I do have a day job that pays way to good to walk away from. I dj about every Friday and Saturday. I have to take a weekend off every couple of months because I like being married. ;P

The only thing that I don't like about this job is the set up and tear downs before & after every gig. I don't usually like doing clubs or bars, they don't pay like private functions do. Most of the time you get to eat pretty good at the weddings and parties ( fringe benefit). But at the clubs I get to leave all of the stuff setup for the saturday night gigs. Man those speakers and amps get heavier everyday. I think they must be eating good. lol

Posted Wed 24 May 06 @ 3:19 am
I am 44 and still going strong, my primary business is school dances, barmitzphas and weddings. I enjoy the school dances, it is funny when the kids are suprised that I know man more about their music than they do. It also help that I look alot younger than my age. Also, almost everyone that comes to request a song is impressed with the virtualdj software.

Posted Wed 24 May 06 @ 5:07 am
muzzaPRO InfinityMember since 2003
37 here, still kick'n it.

Posted Wed 24 May 06 @ 11:01 am
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
ha im just a baby at 17 lol.

Posted Wed 24 May 06 @ 11:09 am
Hi Guys
I guess when it is in your blood there is no stopping, My self my first gig was back in 1985 ,, I am now 42, Still going strong!! At our age, thank goodness for technology we do not have to lug all that equipment around. LOL. Well at least it has got smaller .
My other passion is photography

Cheers Musicmatch

Posted Wed 24 May 06 @ 5:16 pm
51%