Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: about this stuff

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

can u use other records than the virtual records, like if i have a special scratch record can i just play that instead of a virtual record and have it goin on the software stuff and be heard?

Posted Wed 10 May 06 @ 6:48 pm
xeonPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004

Posted Wed 10 May 06 @ 7:11 pm
Yes, you will be able to hear the input (you need to assign a bypass shortcut first, very easy to do) but you won't be able to control the software using your scratch record, only the timecode can do this.

Posted Wed 10 May 06 @ 7:15 pm
erxonPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Topic title "About this stuff"? Cool, I knew right away what was the issue...

Posted Wed 10 May 06 @ 7:15 pm
xeonPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
lol erxon! :D

Posted Wed 10 May 06 @ 7:19 pm
lol., sorry fellas, but ok, if i bought this current software, you're sayin it wont recognize my vinyl that i place on it but it'll still play through my speakers right, that way i can blend some songs that i have on vinyl and the rest of my songs that i have on cds onto the virtual record right?

Posted Wed 10 May 06 @ 8:13 pm
erxonPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Correct.

Posted Wed 10 May 06 @ 10:53 pm
hey thanks man, that makes sense, i think this is a good investment taht's pretty cheap for a beginner like me, right? or would u think cd turntables or maybe the rane serato live would be better?

peace and blessins

Posted Thu 11 May 06 @ 3:34 am
vpcdjHome userMember since 2004
your turntables are connected to the computer so i dont think there's any way any other records other than virtual dj's tcv (or tccd) will play "thru your speakers". unless you have another tt that's connected to the mixer and so forth....
i dont know whether serato can do this. if this is the only decision you that'll determine whether u buy vdj or not then u can go to serato forum to try find out. but before u leave i'll let you know there's a way that VDJ will play your record which is thru ripping the record.

vdj has a built in ripping program that will take rip your record. or you can use any other ripping program. i know if u want to do what u want to do just rip your vinyl into mp3 (or wav, or whatever) and play it as an mp3. that way you'll control it with vdj tcv. u can show your friends the real record for bragging rights or whatever. rip the record to a good quality bit rate. at least 192 bit mp3 quality and ur good to go.
its better having ur record in digital form any way coz u'll manipulate it better with what vdj has to offer and tcv u can do a lot more with it than it being on original wax.

i have scratch records ripped to mp3. so nothing will stop you from playing your scratch record.
so back to the question you asked... can VDJ play your real scratch record? NO.
but can u still play it? YES. there'r many ways to skin a cat. i have rare good ish ripping from other djs. i'll even dare say better than yours. :)

there'r a lot more other good reasons to get vdj over any other software tho. trust me, i'm not affiliated to vdj in any way. the moment you ask "or maybe serato live would be better" u'll get silent treatment from this forum. lol u saw how they all vanished.

pound for pound i dont think any other dj software fks with vdj.

my $ 0.2

Posted Thu 11 May 06 @ 6:53 pm
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
the virtual dj ones look nicer XD

Posted Thu 11 May 06 @ 7:19 pm
ahh ok, thanks fellas, hey thanks for helpn me out i'm a beginner, but ok, now about the rippin part do i need to buy any special stuff besides this software, i'm sorry got confused, but yeh i tried a little bit of this and i love it, i just kinda need to find out if 150 is the total price or if i need to spend anyting else to rip vinyl on it.

also does any laptop work, any recommendations or anything like that?

Posted Thu 11 May 06 @ 7:23 pm
Virtual DJ comes with a vinyl rip program you can use which works well. and if you have your TTs connected and using TCVs with VDJ all you need to do is either use the TCV bypass in vdj (at the moment it sounds aweful although this might be fixed in 4.0) OR split your TTs so it goes to VDJ and the other end to the mixer so all you need to do to play a regular vinyl is flip the switch from line to phono on the mixer and play away :)

Best Regards

DJ White Devil

Posted Fri 12 May 06 @ 6:30 am
yo,thanks for replyin but let me get this straight, sorry it's still really new to me, by flipping the phone/line swith on my gemini xl 300 turntable i can play my scratch record that i have and play throught it through the speakers right, even tho it probly wont play through the software?

thanks

Posted Fri 12 May 06 @ 4:01 pm
that's right. if you split your TTs (1 pair of RCA cables goes to the soundcard the other goes to the mixer) you can flip the switch ON THE MIXER (no turntables have a phono/line switch to deside where it will send the signal) the sound will come out of the mixer and NOT the software.

if you want the sound to go through the software and back out to the mixer then you need to use the Timecode Bypass option in the VDJ settings and your real vinyl will go through the software and back out to the mixer however if you plan on recording your best to just split the signal from your mixer's main out and have one going to your speakers and the other to your soundcard's line in and use something like windows recorder to record from the line in.

Best Regards

DJ White Devil

Posted Fri 12 May 06 @ 5:57 pm
I have just finished aquiring equipment so that I can use turntables with the time coded vinyl as controls for VDJ. The Stanton STR8-80 have both a digital and traditional phono out. The digital out goes to the soundcard digital in and the phono level goes to the mixer. This allows me to bring 4 inputs into my mixer - 2 lines from the PC and 2 lines from the turntables. Works out awesome and there is no issue with trying to bypass anything.

Posted Sat 13 May 06 @ 4:31 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)