Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: MK2 vs Original Hercules - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

DJ RazPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Anyone bought the MK2?
Are the differences worth it if you already have the orignal hercules?
Also, is the output any louder?

Thanks.

Posted Fri 21 Apr 06 @ 6:20 pm
xeonPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
I am thinking about buying MK2 too. You can use it for TC! Also it has better buttons. I don't know about level of output. 1st edition has really too low line out level.

Can anybody who has MK2 tell if it is louder??

Posted Fri 21 Apr 06 @ 7:29 pm
socrossPRO InfinityMember since 2004
I just got the MK2 last night, haven't had much time to fool around with it. I will post some more thoughts when I've had more time with it.

My first impressions:

- It looks much more professional than the first one. The first one had a bit of a toy-like quality to it, so they've upgraded the appearance.

- The headphone preview is a little annoying. You can't blend PFL with program, you can only listen to a single channel, both mixed together or split. This is minor, since you will be using the house to monitor anyways.

So far I'm really pleased with it. I'm taking it to the club in a couple of weeks so I'll post a review after that.

Posted Fri 21 Apr 06 @ 8:52 pm
I am a mobile dj in Jamaica and the mk2 is very very good for the price. I have been using it since early February and I have no complaints. The buttons are quite good and the jogs are quite accurate. The sound quality is about 8.5 out of 10 and the ease of setup gives it 10 out of 10. I use it on a big sound system and you can't tell the difference between the mk2 playing mp3 and a cd player playing cds, provided that your mp3s are of good quality. The djc mapper adds a whole new dimension.

I am very pleased with mine.

Posted Sat 22 Apr 06 @ 12:35 am
So the line out level is higher than in 1st edition?

Posted Sat 22 Apr 06 @ 10:19 am
I dont think the line out level is higher, unfortunately..

But the general build and looks is far better
The jogwheels are better built, and feels a LOT better
Buttons are all super-responsive
It has 2x line-in for connecting real audio hardware (either for playing real vinyl/cd or timecode)
etc

I'm very pleased with the Hercules MK2 when you compare price to what you get.

Posted Sat 22 Apr 06 @ 2:06 pm
cyes67rPRO InfinityMember since 2004
now i own the mk2 i used to have the dj console before i like the mk2 better the jogwheels r better than the 1st one.the mk2 can be used with cd palyers or turntables the 1st one cant i think the sound quality is better on the mk2.one thing i dont like about the both of the consoles is that the jogwheels are to close to the crossfather.i only wish the console was rackmountable.i like the mk2 better.

djcyes_one
cyes67r@yahoo.com

Posted Mon 24 Apr 06 @ 2:54 am
Hey there carryshel

I'm also residing in Jamaica and use the MK2 unit, excellent piece of hardware for the price. I was one the 1st person to get this unit, had mine from November 2005 and "LOVE IT" esp. with VDJ. You can holla at me---- khickos@yahoo.com----...PEACE BRO!!!

Posted Mon 24 Apr 06 @ 4:25 am
hello all, how is djc mk2 compare to u46dj? they are about the same price. now mk2 has the ability to hook up to turntables and use TCV! has anyone get a chance to test it?
jas

Posted Mon 24 Apr 06 @ 7:07 am
I have one,

It's ok but could be a little more stable. What I mean is the drivers when using in external mode
are unstable. Even after the update Hercules put out on there web sight. The problem I'm having
is when I have a song on one deck playing, and I try to load the second deck, the deck that is playing
looses its audio making it a big problem for external mixer use. I let Hercules know about this problem, and they said they are working on a fix. I don't have any problems that I could think of in normal mode. The sound could be better, but for the price, it's not bad. I use it mostly with TCV. It's not bad. Although I have not compared it with anything else. The nice thing about it is that it's a sound card, controller and mixer, all in one. Also you can use TCVs, regular TT, or hook up cd players to it. I think it's very good for mixing, but don't try any tricks on the X fader. Too close to the jog wheels. I also had the first dj consol. The mk2 is much better. Like I said for the price It's not bad. About $260.00.

Good luck

Posted Mon 24 Apr 06 @ 8:39 am
Can you please describe this problem with audio a little more?
I am going to buy it in 2 days.

Posted Mon 24 Apr 06 @ 10:42 am
The problem occurs when using an external mixer. The outputs for channel 3&4 leak into channel 1&2 if the crossfader of Virtual DJ is set anywhere but all the way to the left. Everyone says this is a driver problem but I'm not sure. If you uninstall the Hercules drivers and Virtual DJ then reinstall them, the problem is still there. But if you uninstall the Hercules drivers and then Virtual DJ and remove Virtual DJ's registry entries, then reinstall the problem magically disappears*.

The Virtual DJ registry entries are also abnormally large at about 11mb when a stock install produces entries much much smaller than that.

* I didn't test this extensively and I used three registry cleaners and did a system reboot the second time. However the problem is easy enough to resolve, if you have the problem just move the crossfader all the way to the left.

Posted Mon 24 Apr 06 @ 2:13 pm
I just remembered something important. If you do experience the above problem, dragging a song onto deck b and playing it will reverse channels with deck a..

So you're happily playing a tune from deck a, load up a track on deck b and suddely.. deck b is playing =/

Posted Mon 24 Apr 06 @ 2:35 pm
I am just thinking about buying it or not...
I am going to use it with external mixer.

Posted Mon 24 Apr 06 @ 3:04 pm
When it's working, it works without any problems but when it does give trouble the only solution I've found is to completely remove Virtual DJ and the Hercules drivers. I've not found out exactly what causes the problem to occur but it seems to work fine with fresh installs. Hercules seem to be slow in updating their drivers for this product and I believe the problem has existed before the latest drivers were even released, it may be beneficial to hear from the Virtual DJ support team before you make your purchase. Personally I'm happy with my Mk2 and external mixer set up but if it does stop working its a pain in the backside.

Posted Mon 24 Apr 06 @ 3:14 pm
I'm lucky! My MK2 has been working fine... :)

Posted Mon 24 Apr 06 @ 5:02 pm
The crossfader left thing also affects the Professional version. The advanced setup is no good for TCV unfortunately. Everything works fine after a fresh install anway, still haven't found what causes it to cause problems in the first place though.

Posted Mon 24 Apr 06 @ 6:41 pm
socrossPRO InfinityMember since 2004
So, I've had some time to play with it all weekend, and I had a great time with it. During normal (non-TCV) mixing, it only glitched once. The left jog wheel would cause the audio to drop out when I was using it to nudge the song. I restarted, and it worked fine. I hope that never happens in the club!!

I hooked it up to my TCV's, and initially it worked fine. After some mixing, though, things don't look so good. Scratching sounds very "digital" and not useful at all. Also, when I load a new song, it often causes the song that is playing to stop briefly. This is rather dissappointing, so any tips would be great! It's not the end of the world, since I normally use a Maya for TCV's, but it would be nice to get this running.

My laptop: Dell Inspiron 9300, 1.6 ghz processor and 1 gig RAM. Limiter and Time Stretch are both disabled.

Posted Tue 25 Apr 06 @ 4:43 am
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Well I'm considering Buying the MK2 right now from pixmania as they are going cheap (£133), apart from the controller upgrade from the original Herc, I'm only interested in buying it if the sound quality and latency for timecoded CD are a high standard, anyone who's set this up?, could you inform of your experiences please?.., It's gotta be a certain standard for pubs and clubs, if not I'll have to buy a boring U46DJ (or any other compaitable soundcard).

Posted Mon 12 Jun 06 @ 8:33 pm
If Im right dj-in-norway is using this setup (laptop + Hercules mk2) with 2 Pioneer cdj cd players. So you could send him a private message.
Ewout

Posted Mon 12 Jun 06 @ 8:44 pm
91%