Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: MK2 vs Original Hercules - Page: 2

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I have this setup and the lowest latency you will get at 44kHz (VDJ doesn't support 48) with this sound card is 441 samples (10ms). This is fine for mixing, but if your a turntablist you may want to investigate further as the slow scratches sound very digital; I'm not sure if this is to do with the latency being too high (even though it's at minimum) or if it's to do with VDJ.

For the most part it works fine but sometimes there will be problems with the external mixer configuration and you have to move the crossfader of the console to the left, even though it's disabled in the control panel. When this happens you can keep it like this or reinstall the drivers if you need the crossfader (i.e. video mixing). It's an annoyance and the bar manager may be annoyed with it.

I can't comment on the sound quality, I only have it in the bedroom with some not so good powered speakers, but a dedicated soundcard with 4 ins and outs is probably better to get.

Posted Tue 13 Jun 06 @ 2:08 am
Thats exactly it...

Hercules works ok for timecode, vinyls or cds...

But the hercules asio driver latency makes it a bit digital sounding on scratch..

If you are serious turntable user and want better sounding scratch, card such as maya or u46dj would be better....

It also have some issues with some cd-decks playing too loud, and sice the hercules dont have a leveler for inputs, I've found that burding the timecode cd on a lower volume (about -10db) is needed....

Other than that, I love the Hercules..

Part of the "digital scratch" is also VDJ, but thats being fixed in VDJ4.
Unfortunately, I've not tested Herc with timecode in VDJ4, might work better...
Will try..

Posted Tue 13 Jun 06 @ 9:19 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)