Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: A question of organization

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

So,
When you have thousands of mp3's, how do you organize you files?
Do you have a seperate folder for each year?
Do you have BPM folders?
Do you have one giant folder and just let VDJ sort as you need them?

I am just curious to see what solutions people have come up with.

For me, gone are the days of toting crates with vinyl! That much I can say for sure.

I currently sort them by KPS (Bitrate), just so I know. Others? What do you do?

Thanks,
Ronny

Posted Sat 04 Mar 06 @ 10:04 pm
vpcdjHome userMember since 2004
when i get my computer back i'll show you all a screen shot of something priceless.

Posted Sat 04 Mar 06 @ 10:44 pm
djcityPRO InfinityMember since 2005
I have folders labeled the same way I had my crates set up.

I have a Brand new music folder, A General Hip Hop folder, General R&B folder, Instrumentals Folder, Accapellas folder, A Riddims folder with hundreds of different riddims in sub folders, West coast folder, Old school hip hop folder, old school funk folder, slow jamz folder and more and more.

just like when I had my record cases at shows, I would go into a different case as needed. I do the same thing now with the folders. If I need a older R&B song...Its in the General R&B folder. Dr. Dre... West coast folder.

thats how I do it at least. Within each folder all music is done by bpm, and my comment which is a rating of 1 - 5 1 being not so hot and 5 being a Blazing Track.

Hope this helps someone

Posted Sat 04 Mar 06 @ 11:40 pm
THe case to hard drive method you mention seems to be the most common (Because it works). I wonder what other methods people use too.

Oh, yes , I am looking forward to seeing the screen shot!

Thanks guys.

Posted Sun 05 Mar 06 @ 12:49 am
xeonPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
i have sorted by genre: house (3 different), techno (3 different), rock ( 5 different), instrumentals and accapellas, and other songs (genres) sorted by date because i am geting a lot of songs every week (new songs i mean) and i have sorted them by months and years. After one year (when they are 1 year in folder sorted by date) i put them into main folder called pop or new rock or hiphop,... :)

Posted Sun 05 Mar 06 @ 12:51 am
mine is loosely like djcity's. but not in folders. i have them on different worksheets on Excel. took a lot of time to manually put them there coz u cant export xml to excel doc.

(u can easily import pcdj's .ini file to excel doc)

Posted Sun 05 Mar 06 @ 8:39 pm
this is from a previous post

Posted Wed 01 Feb 06 @ 19:54:24
".... right now like i said i have all my music in Excel: bpm, artist, track, year, comment.
im only a hip-hop, r&b and dancehall dj.
the first Worksheet consists everything. then i have different Worksheets.. as 80s rap, Early 90s rap, r&b, r&b oldies, South rap, East coast rap, West rap, Pop rap, Midwest, dancehall, reggaeton, latin rap, Canadian (both r&b and rap), and i want to get into UK and european rap.
*songs appear in one or more worksheets.

I'd like to break the worksheets down to eg. one All west coast worksheet, then other west coast worksheets like 80s west coast, early 90s west coast etc..."

Posted Sun 05 Mar 06 @ 8:50 pm
Wow, talk about labor intensive. I commend you!
Right now, i just pretty much do the Old music, new music folder.
One folder is for music within the past month of release or promo.
One folder is for music up to 1 year old.
Another folder is for the oldest music. I have to admit VDJ for me is MUCH better at keeping my music in order than Tracktor. I never liked the way it made you have to catalogue music. VDJ allows you to be more free in that respect.

Again, having been a vinyl dj for many years, then moving to ONLY mp3 has been amazing. I have used several products...but was hooked back from the first dawning of Atomix! The VDJ pro software is just astounding. I have never really had any major issues.

It is just nice to be able to chat with others and see how things are done "in your neck of the woods."

I look forward to more responses.

Posted Sun 05 Mar 06 @ 9:15 pm
ronny what u dont want to do is lock urself to one program. i realised that when i was using pcdj. once it messed up on me in 2001 in the middle of an important audition and i had to use atomix. (previously i only used atomix only for getting bpms). luckily i won the audition lol even with atomix even tho it was the first time i used it to mix. i was the only computer dj at the time. i guess i won because i was the only computer dj.

anyway... what happens when u use a program to organize ur music then it messes up and u cant use it? u have to have another program. but now all your organized work is locked up in that program that doesnt work. thats why i use Microsoft Excel. coz i know Excel Will Always Work. some pcdj updates corrupted my library. and its likely vdj updates can mess up with your organized work too.

with Excel i can carry the .doc file with me and edit it whereever i go. i used to spend a lot of time in pcdj (and vdj) but now i really spend most of my time on my excel document.
and good thing with excel is even if power goes out its got its autorecovery and u can bounce back.

like djcity i wanted to add a recent worksheet but the problem i have is catagorizing what Recent is. it cant be monthly. cant be 2 months. im debating whether to divide the year into 3 or 4 months.
i know for djs. recent is 1 or 2 months. but the people out there are 3 to 4 months behind.
------------------------------------------------------------
If u have a little catalogue the Old music, New music will work. but as ur music library grows into 10,000+ ur gonna get caught.

Posted Sun 05 Mar 06 @ 10:10 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)