Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Beginner DJ need help please

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

hbak784Home userMember since 2006
I just bought a Laptop computer and i am interested in getting this VirtualDJ program i have a few questions.

Is it as easy as it looks?
Is it user friendly?
How much is the program?
What makes VirtualDJ better than the others?

Thanks for your help

Posted Tue 28 Feb 06 @ 4:10 pm
Hi don't hesitate with buying the program is easy like all other softwares it's just a question of practice, very user friendly, the price it's a good surprise, well you won't find a better mixing program for that price, regarding other programs and I can talk with experience it's the best.
I have been using VDJ for about a year and before I played with ATOMIX the little brother of this VDJ program for about 3 years.

GO FOR IT.

Posted Tue 28 Feb 06 @ 4:25 pm
I bought the MK2 because a friend of mine had a HUGE party and the DJ couldn't make it. I got the basics down in about 48 hrs and had one helluva night!

I need a little practice on the beatmatching and transitions but it was cool.

I never could figure out how to use the microphone though. The party really missed that effect.

If anyone has any pointers on getting that microphone to work ...I'd appreciate that.

I left that disc cover at home that has my serial number on it ...so I'll register when I find it.

Thanx!

Posted Tue 28 Feb 06 @ 4:47 pm
what are like the main things that a begginner needs to concentrate on practicing with this program

Posted Tue 28 Feb 06 @ 4:48 pm
djcityPRO InfinityMember since 2005
Have you downloaded the free demo version?
http://www.virtualdj.com/download.html

Yes Virtual DJ is user friendly and is the best DJ software I have seen so far.

This software is extremely versatile allowing you to mix not only mp3 and wav but video and karioke.

Dj'ing is a breeze even for a beginner thanks to the beatlock, auto bpm, and wave window.

The demo version will show you some of what virtual DJ can do.

You also get FREE upgrades, FREE support and you have the hundreds of people in this forum to help you and answer any questions you may have.

And last but not least...THE PRICE IS RIGHT !!!

By far, this is the best DJ software product at a fantastic price. Check it out for yourself and let us know what you think.

Posted Tue 28 Feb 06 @ 4:51 pm
djcityPRO InfinityMember since 2005
The main thing you would need to concentrate on is mixing and blending. Very easy to do in Virtual DJ. it depends on what kind of music you want to dj. Techno and House are very very easy to do while Hip Hop can take a little more practice.

practice will make you a good dj and Virtual DJ can make you an even better dj.

Posted Tue 28 Feb 06 @ 4:56 pm
the music that i will be playing will be spanish music like tejano, spanish rock.trying to be one of the first ones from my friends to show up with a laptop and not take down all of my cases music.
which program can ya'll recomend for me to start off and how much will that be

thanks for the responses from everybody

Posted Tue 28 Feb 06 @ 5:17 pm
mzackPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Here is my 2 cents as a beginner DJ.......Please exceuse me in advace for the lengthy post but maybe this can help other beginners as well....

I walked into the local Guitar Center store about 3 months ago, I went straight to the DJ section, there I saw a myriad of cd players, turntables, lights and mixers.....all were very very intimidating to say the least, I asked a few questions to the sales guys there and did not get much help regarding a beginner DJ, I knew one thing, I did not have any vinyl record to play, I did have lots of CD's though. So I did a little homeowrk on DJing 101, and read a lot about the "old school" approach of spinning records.

The next thing I considered and read about was this "new wave" lurking around the DJ industry with the use of a computer and music files, the store personel did not have anything on display, nor did they know a whole lot about it, this one guy did say he heard that this Herculese product called Virtual DJ was pretty cool, he told me you could play your MP3's and mix them and stuff like that....... I broke down and bought the system which consisted of a controller and a software disc.

I followed the directions and connected it to my computer, then I found a few CD's that I had copied to my hard drive and started messing around with the program, I was amazed at the simplicity of the program, Im no computer geek, but I know how to navigate around windows.....just enough to be dangerous.......anyway

I imedietly fell in live with the Beat Mathing capability and mixing one song into the next without sounding like a jack ass.......I then went forward with asking every family member and friend I have to borrow their cd's from country to techno and everything in between, I spent the next month day and night coppying the cd's to an external hard drive and came up with 17,500 song library which I organized by hand and made individual play lists.

Then I went on this forum and found out everything there is to know about VDJ, and Im still bugging the pros on a daily basis....LOL!! I recently bought the "Pro" version upgrade and started practicing, practicing and practicing my mixes, playing with the program, reading the forum, did I mention practicing........

I am currently waiting for my DAC3 controller to come in the mail, thats an option of controlling the program, bought a Stanton C.304 CD player last night and downloaded the Time Coded CD, and that was fun to be able to manipulate my MP3 files using and external cd player....yippee Im also waiting for my Numark CM200USB Mixer to come and soon hope to have a nice rack mounted set up.

I can say for people that want to start DJ'ing for fun or professional, this program sparked my interest, it brought new light into the area where I never though I could go, only wished....but technolgy today is maikung it easier than ever to do what took years and years of practice....my hat goes off to you out there, you know what Im talking about.......I can only say to the beginners like myself....practice, practice and practice and know your songs like the back of your hand, and listen and read what the pros do, this forum is FANTASTIC.......lots or experience and know how right here!!

And to answer the original post here....yes the program is user friendly and fun as hell, and it towers over the other because you can mix video and a thousand other features the others dont have....

And most importantly GET VDJ PRO!!

Posted Tue 28 Feb 06 @ 5:29 pm
cool

once i purchase one of these programs. will i need to buy any special kind of connections.

have no idea on this part also, how do i hook up my laptop to my dj equipment
what kind of wires or gadgets will i need

Posted Tue 28 Feb 06 @ 5:52 pm
mzackPRO InfinityMember since 2006
The first thing you have to determine is how goos is your laptop computer, I would recomment nothing below 1G of memory, the processor and all that you may want to leave to the pros, but I hear the Pentium M is good.....anyway as far as connections, that varies on what you want to do with your music files on your computer, do you want to scratch them, or just play them and mix them, depending on what you want to do that will determine what connections you need to buy. You should have at least 3 USB 2.0 slot on your laptop to connect any external devices, you will definetly need a sound card upgrade, most laptops come with standard ones, not so good for Pro DJ'ing, but ok for fooling around and plaing in the house.

It all depends on what you want to do with the program.

Posted Tue 28 Feb 06 @ 6:42 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)