Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Does anyone know about these speakers?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

djcityPRO InfinityMember since 2005
Peavey PR-15

Does anyone have a set of these?

if so PLEASE let me know how good they are.

I'm considering a pair but do not want to purchase them if they wont stand up to my sound quaility requirements or they blow easily.

I know their lightweight which is a GOOD thing.

Are they durable?

Do they sound GOOD?

Are they loaded with Black Widows?

They say their rated at 400 watts program 800 watts peak but I know that can be misleading so I search for someone who owns a pair or someone who has worked with them.

Any input would be helpful and welcome

Posted Thu 09 Feb 06 @ 4:02 pm
phillydjPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
hmm 400 program .. probably means like 200 rms i've own peavey for years the have a funny way of misleading you on there specs, at the same time i never had any problems with any of my higher model peavey's the only complain i have is the lower models made with the sheffield woofer....it's nothing more than a generic woofer, peavey only design the cabinet. Another thing you might wanna find out is the horn driver (if it has one i never saw the pr-15) make sure it's not the 14xt ..they blow out very easily, beside theat peavey is great for PA application especially.

Posted Thu 09 Feb 06 @ 7:58 pm
I had a pair of Powered Crest Speakers that were great. Then I bought a new pair only to have them keep blowing the 15" speaker. Come to find out PeeVey had bought out Crest and replaced them with the Black Widow. Have replaced those 15" in each speaker twice. Still have the original 15" in the other Crest speakers. That said...

It is never how much watts the speakers can handle...it is the dp-spl (Sound Presure Level) that you want to look at...

For example a speaker that can handle 600 watts but only put out 92 db will not sound as good as a speaker that handles 400 watts but can put out 129 db's. Plus you want to look at the dynamic range that those speakers cover.

If you are looking at doing clubs or schools you will need to add one or two subs to those speakers. They are usually only used for monitors or as PA speakers. So if you are looking to push club music or hip hop they will not give you the sound you are looking for I sure...

I find Mackie makes a great power speaker, especially their higher end stuff. If you do not want to use a sub look for a three way speaker or a two way speaker that is build in a birch cabinet. Birch tends to make the bass sound better in a two way speaker.

I hope this helps a little. You might want to first let us know what kind of music and venues you are looking at playing. This could help narrow your search down a little.

Good Luck

Mike

Posted Fri 10 Feb 06 @ 12:42 am
Dj XeoPRO InfinityMember since 2005
400W program and 800W peak is what the PR - 10s are rated as in my local PA place. and yer program is usualy double RMS.

Posted Fri 10 Feb 06 @ 12:56 am
djcityPRO InfinityMember since 2005
I was looking at using the peavey's to replace my stolen yamaha S115v's.

I have a FULL set up. Double 18's Custom made cabs for low end w/ Eminence Omega drivers. My speakesr are being pushed w/ QSC amps. Powerwave PLX 3002 for my tops and an old but POWERFULL QSC 4000 to run my low end. I have my x-over, compresser, sonic Maximizer, and EQ as well in my amp rack.

I've got SERIOUS sound but my Yamahas were stolen and I swear...Those Yamahas had the BEST sound.

My funds will not allow me to replace 4 yamahas just now but I CAN afford 4 of the Peaveys. I do not want to waste my money or time with the Peavey's if they are some garbage. I know Peavey makes some really good products and they also make some that are just o.k.

If these peaveys are loaded with Black widows then I can just replace the basket when and if they blow but if the cabinet sounds like shit, replacing the drivers will do no good.

I am not fooled by the power rating either. I know that a speaker can take up to 50% more power than the the program states as long as it's CLEAN power. A lot of People don't understand that speakers tend to blow if you UNDREPOWER them. Distortion blows speakers, not power.

Dj Xeo... The 10", and 12" are rated the same as the 15"

I'm just trying to find out how these speakers sound and hou they hold up.

I do have just a little knowledge on sound systems.

Posted Fri 10 Feb 06 @ 2:20 pm
frd1963PRO InfinityMember since 2004
DJCity,

If I were you, I would not bother with the Peaveys, not just because of questionable quality, but also because you seemed to have found that the Yamaha S115Vs match your taste and style perfectly. It is always tough to find the right sound, and if you have found it, then keep it. The S115Vs are only about $100 more than the Peaveys, each, but just from looking at the specs from each, they appear to be much better.
Is the $400 (for 4 of them) really worth all of the uncertainty and regret?

Posted Mon 13 Feb 06 @ 6:59 pm
Dj XeoPRO InfinityMember since 2005
generaly i would stay away from the lower end peaveys, especialy as these ones that are injection moulded. every place i looked they were the cheapest peaveys they stocked.

have a look at these http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/options.php?id=67319 good price i think. the PR 15s were 125 so i assume they the same comparative price in the old USA

Posted Tue 14 Feb 06 @ 12:54 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)