Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: How heavy is your rackmount system?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hi djs..Im assembling my rack mount system..and the gator case weighs around 40 pounds WITH mixer and dac3, and the rackmount chassis is itself around 30 pounds. that makes it 75 pounds!!!!
Is this normal? How heavy are yours and how do u guys transport with them?
I have a Gator GRC 10x6 case. and a Norco 4u rackmount chassis...

Posted Wed 01 Feb 06 @ 12:41 am
PionaraPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Hey there...:o)

I don't quite know how heavy mine is, but yeah, it can be quite heavy - and that's without a rackmount in it. I just put mine in the back seat of the car...it fits in there quite nicely. Mine is a DAP Audio case which is quite big and bulky. It's especially a pain in the ass when you have to carry:

Gig Rig
4 x speakers
4 x stands
PC's - Tower Case(s)
Bags
Small flight cases
Lights
Amp

And all the other stuff up and down loads of stairs! All that for a mobile bloody disco!!!

Remember - lift with your knees, not your back!!!

Cheers...and keep spinnin'...:o)

P

Posted Wed 01 Feb 06 @ 12:46 am
well if you take my roadcase with 2 TTxs and pioneer DJM mixer your looking around 90lbs total.

I got some wheels installed on one end so it makes lugging it around much easier with all the weight.

Posted Wed 01 Feb 06 @ 2:03 am
Yes. Normal. I am using a 10x4 gator case. 2 rack computer.

Posted Wed 01 Feb 06 @ 3:54 am
I use a SKB mini gig rig and it weighs approx 70 lbs. It includes a 4U rackmount computer with widescreen 19" monitor.

Posted Wed 01 Feb 06 @ 4:30 am
mp3jrickPRO InfinityHonorary MemberMember since 2003
Gotta be close to 100 with the 17 pound mixer I just added.

Posted Wed 01 Feb 06 @ 12:50 pm
And the winner is........ drum roll.....
"mp3jrick" !
Woah...thats a lot to carry men..anyways, lets hope our backs are intact for a while and lets hope we can still enjoy the finer things in life ;)
regards,
adi

Posted Wed 01 Feb 06 @ 3:07 pm
mp3jrickPRO InfinityHonorary MemberMember since 2003
It has become a bit of a bitch to carry particularly with stairs.
I am no kid so I have to stay in shape just to keep up. (it)lol
But it's still worth it.

Posted Wed 01 Feb 06 @ 4:08 pm
I fall into Rick's category, I have to eat a can of spinnach before every gig that I use my rackmount system at. Last time I weighed it, it was 95 lbs. That was before I added 2 more externals to it.
Henry

Posted Thu 02 Feb 06 @ 2:59 am
I'm pretty sure I'm over 100 LB!!!!

I used to use an Odyssey with wheels, but it wouldn't work where stairs were concerned...

I know have TWO Grundorf Boxes... One is my "Live Sound Reinforcement" box for Vocals, FX, EQ, Compressor, and Clean Power. This box is my lightest box. There's a Mackie Onyx on top as these boxes are BOTH the extened top with I think 14 spaces.

Next, I have my VJ/DJ/KJ Box, this has my 3U Rack Mount System that has 4 HDDs in it and a ton (Almost literally at 3:00 AM when I'm trying to carry it back to my car or up one flight of stairs) of other stuff in it. This box also has an inexpensive Numark Mixer, a DAC3 a DJRACK Fold Down Monitor + HP LCD monitor and a keyboard tray. I'd say this box ALONE weighs in over 100 LB.... But I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world, except an attractive assistant to carry it naked for me ;-)

Posted Thu 02 Feb 06 @ 7:35 am
Mine is now well light and can be carried with one hand ! it's been a major project to get it all as light as possible. Blog should be updated soon with Pics.

I too used to have the gator case 10uX6uX8u with 4u rackmount PC, DAC, mixer etc - just to heavy.

New box consists of

3U Mixer
3U Dac3
1u JTS Dual Mic Receiver (with v.small behringer effects unit on top for mic echo on karaoke).
When you open the lid, the laptop sits on top.

CD Players in separate box if required.

Posted Thu 02 Feb 06 @ 6:20 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)