Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Constructive comparison of VDJ and that other software

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Not starting a flameware here so if that is your purpose than please don't post in this thread. After I purchased SSL, I posted here that I would let you guys know my initial thoughts on using the software once I've had a chance to mess with it a bit. Well I have, and here is my post.

I purchased SSL a little over a week ago and I used it for my first gig Saturday night. This was a HUGE gig, probably the biggest party I've DJ'd in a while. Bigger than New Years Eve for me. This was the Official AMA Supercross After Party for the race at Anaheim Stadium on Saturday night.

It was pretty scary DJing with something other than VDJ for the first time in over a year. All my bpms in VDJ are correct, all my cue points and loops work correctly in VDJ, playlists, etc. I can rock a party with my eyes closed in VDJ. I had none of that with SSL. I did take the time manually add the bpm tag to a handful of songs, so I didn't have to spend so much time manually beatmatching with SSL (I still spent a lot of time matching beats anyway).

Anyway, on with the observations. Some things I continue to like about VDJ that are either missing from SSL or implemented differently:

* Loops - note I used the stable SSL which has no loops feature at all.

* BPM tap - I don't care much for the autobpm thing since it is usually wrong for the type of music I play, but the tap feature is very usefull.

* Time display on skin - with SSL there is no time display on the screen when you are DJing. I had to keep looking at my cellphone for the time. I used to think this feature was fairly useless on vdj,.. that is until it's not there for you to look at anymore. I missed it.

* Playlist history automatically recorded - I use these things all the time when I need to know what songs I played at a gig. Very useful.

* Can be configured not to modify my mp3 files - This is a HUGE deal for me. I use VDJ and I have it configured not to mess with my mp3 files and it works fine. In order for SSL to work correctly, it needs to modify your mp3 files. Of course it works if you don't let it, but it works best if it is allowed to mess with your files. I think this just plain wrong. This is almost a showstopper. Almost. I gave in and let it mess with my files. I didn't like it but I did it.

And now some things I really like about SSL:

* Can unload a track from the deck - This seems like a really no-brainer feature but SSL allows you to unload a track from a deck. VDJ does not. If it does, I have not been able to figure out how to do it. When I am doing BPM work or setting cue points, testing loops, etc. I only want a track on 1 deck. If there is a track on the other deck then I usually shutdown VDJ and restart it. This seems fairly ridiculous. There should be a way to unload a track.

* Able to grab the song from one deck and load it on the other deck instantly - I've wanted this feature for VDJ for a long time, long before I even heard of SSL. Seems like it would be a dead simple feature to add, maybe even a pluging could do it. I was pleasantly surprised that SSL had this feature already. Someone over there thinks like me. The next feature takes it a step further.

* Instant doubles feature - When using relative mode you can not only grab the song from the other deck and load it, but it will load and start playing at THE EXACT same place the other deck is playing. I was thinking about how to do this with VDJ and what a surprise, SSL had it already. Start the TCV, hit the keyboard shortcut for instant doubles and slam the crossfader over. Why would I want to do this or care about this feature? I am better scratching with the right hand. This is an easy way to seamlessly move the playing song to the left deck so I can load the song to scratch on the right. People who don't scratch will say,. .useless feature. People who do have already been wishing this existed.

* Reads BPM tag in files - Well it doesn't have a BPM "engine" like VDJ but at least it can read the bpm tag in the file if it's there. Not sure why VDJ continues to ignore the BPM tag, then tries to determine the BPM for you. They may have fixed this in 3.3 but I wouldn't know. Seems to me that it would be a sensible thing to read the BPM tag if it's there.

* Search box / file browser - I put these together since they are kind the same thing. If you've used the SSL file browser and search box, you know it is nice. I don't need to say too much here.

* SSL Crates - This is really the heart of the program when it comes to selecting your music. Organizing the music into these "crates" is pretty dang cool. Don't even talk to me about VDJ playlists, it's not the same and not nearly as useful. The dev team should take notice of that.

* Input reverse that actually works - Not sure if dev team has fixed the non-functioning "Invert" button for the xp10 controller. I was always extremely annoyed when I would hook up my xp10s backwards and the invert button did absolutely nothing. I would have to shutdown vdj, physically unplug the xp10 and swap them, startup VDJ. This is what the invert button was supposed to do but it never did for me. Please someone tell this has been fixed already?

* Seamless switch to internal mode - if you've never used SSL you already know. The seamless switch to internal mode let's me do stuff like start a track on deck 1 with the tcv, switch to internal mode pull the tcv off (track keeps playing), cue up a real vinyl on deck 1 and be ready to mixit. This feature could have saved me big time one night when my xp10s were crapping out. If you don't use tcv, then you probably don't see the value here.

* Can select tracks with TCV - This is useful. VDJ should consider adding this as a feature.

* Clean consistent interface. Has all the features I need/want and none that I don't.

* Software is free - Rane is a hardware company. They sell SL1 boxes and TCV. The software is free and they have said it will always be free. I can legally download the full version of SSL (not a demo or crippled version) and load it on EVERY computer I own. I can load it on computers I don't own. Every club owner in the world can download the Full version of SSL and load it on the club computer and tell each DJ to bring their own SL1 box and usb hard drive. This works. This is why you see SSL in so many clubs. If you can't see why having SSL software being free is a good thing, then you are probably bedroom DJ. Not only that, but when I show up at the club I know that SSL will have a consistent user interface, consistent shortcuts, etc.

So what's the bottom line here? For now on my gigs will be done using SSL and not VDJ. I will still keep VDJ loaded, I still like to BPM my tracks ahead of time. I can do this with VDJ, can't do this with SSL. All of my live performances will be with SSL from now on though. The sound quality, stability and overall experience of using it was very refreshing.

But I'm not going anywhere guys, I'll continue to be on the boards here. Comments are welcomed here, flame wars are not.

Posted Mon 09 Jan 06 @ 7:33 pm
That subject should have been "Constructive ... " not construction.

Posted Mon 09 Jan 06 @ 7:33 pm
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Good review and comparison :), that's what I was looking for, of course some things here are facts like the different features both products offer, others are opinions and personal preferences.

But I respect that review because it wasn't biased, knor was it arrogant or anti-VDJ, it's good when someone can give and honest review and hold back any cheap 'shots' that may enter there minds.
Like the review someone else wrote "haha suckers!!", not good at all.

VDJ's come a long way and it's most significant update is yet to come IMO, SSL verse VDJ isn't a fair comparison because they aren't both trying to be the same thing, they are different fruits from different gardens, sure have we all have a favourite but not everything in life is a competition contray to the mentality that many readers of this may have, you need alternatives, and SSL is one a good alternative to VDJ for sure.

I'm after what's best for me, and I know that will eventually be what will become Virtual DJ 4 or Virtual DJ 5, currently I'm a very satisified customer, I just need a few more easy-to-implement features and a much improved sound engine, I know both these things are coming and for that I'm well pleased.

In terms of Hardware I think TCV or TCCD will be much better in VDJ in the near future, and when that happens I'll probably settle with some high end CD players controlling VDJ4/5.

VDJ and SSL are both great products IMO, different features, different prices, different feels.., the choice is yours, prefer what you will ya'll :).

Posted Mon 09 Jan 06 @ 7:57 pm
that's exactly how it should be Bagpuss.

Just like when a new DJ wants to know what equipment to get. Do you want vynil or CD??
Its all about personal preferences.

Posted Mon 09 Jan 06 @ 9:11 pm

> SSL verse VDJ isn't a fair comparison because they aren't both trying to be
> the same thing, they are different fruits from different gardens,

I think the point is that VDJ is not trying to be anything specific, but a bit of everything. It's very good at that.

It does however lack some very important features like the mentioned crates and IMO useable ID3 tag support (although it seems that is getting better now). The trick with crates is it's a not just you plug in your USB HD, but by doing so you add your own organized and 'setup as you like it' recordcase to a running program. This is a _VERY_ important feature for club DJs. If a club runs a SSL system you only have to plug in you own HD and you have your own setup as you're used to having it..

SSL is focussed on a very specific target audience and is extremely good at what it sets out to do. This is why it has very quickly become the #1 program for (purely) timecode vinyl based DJs. It also helps if your in the RANE family.

Posted Mon 09 Jan 06 @ 9:22 pm
djbambiPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Aaron, thanks for the objective review.

About the xp10 invert/swap, check out http://www.virtualdj.com/forums/7091/Bugs_report/problem_with_XP10__swap__checkbox.html?highlight=swap

About crates, not sure how SSL does it, but I'd like VDJ to do something about their file browsing/cataloging because, two years later, I'm still organized by actual folders (I don't like playlists much). I'd also love it if a vdj database xml file contained in the folder where the track is could overwrite/complemement the main xml file, that would be awesome and would permit USB harddrives, etc.

Hope your evening went well, you forgot to tell us about that part...

Posted Mon 09 Jan 06 @ 10:17 pm
Thanks for reminding me Bambi. The night was absolutely unbelievable. Don't know how many of you know what Supercross is (dirt bike motorcyle racing), but the chicks that come out for this thing are unbelievable. Dance floor was packed all night too. I played a mostly hip-hop night but I dropped in a few surprises too.

The other thing I forgot to mention is that you can actually manage the search database from within the program when using SSL. It is incomprehensible that Atomix expects you to go and edit the XML file by hand to remove junk from there. With SSL, files that don't exists have an exclamation next to them and you just delete from the database. What a concept.

Posted Mon 09 Jan 06 @ 10:30 pm
thanks for the review anewsome.... Nothing in there that would make me buy SSL, but as you and other said, we choose the software that works best for what we want... And that would be by FAR be Virtual DJ in my needs and wishes :) Simple as that, or else I wouldn't be here.. hehe

Sorry to hear you are gonna use SSL at your gigs, but guess you are more of a "pure turntablist"... I couldn't live without the features and easyness that VDJ have gotten me so used to now, at my gigs..
I'm just too comfortable with them, and makes me so much more free to focus on music choices, the crowd, and mixing ...

But some of the features you mentioned sounded nice, and could be added to VDJ for sure :)

Keep rocking them huge parties Anewsome ;) Sounded like a cool gig

Posted Mon 09 Jan 06 @ 11:21 pm
listen2PRO InfinityMember since 2005
great review and opinion of both programs. I even lean heavy on turntable use and it didn't make me want to buy it either, but it's just a matter of choice and VDJ works better for me.

Posted Tue 10 Jan 06 @ 12:04 am
313ctroHome userMember since 2005
Good review and comparison. Just want to comment on some things..

"* Time display on skin - with SSL there is no time display on the screen when you are DJing. I had to keep looking at my cellphone for the time. I used to think this feature was fairly useless on vdj,.. that is until it's not there for you to look at anymore. I missed it."

There is a clock in SSL, it's in the upper left of the screen. It's small, so maybe you overlooked it.

"* Playlist history automatically recorded - I use these things all the time when I need to know what songs I played at a gig. Very useful."

The review area/tab in SSL does just this. Although you can't export it to a text file or anything, make a new crate and then you can highlight and drag all the files you played in that set from the review area into the new crate (keeps order you played them in too).

".. I will still keep VDJ loaded, I still like to BPM my tracks ahead of time. I can do this with VDJ, can't do this with SSL..."

Use Mixmeister BPM analyzer. Very small stand alone app that automatically mass BPMs all your tracks and writes the BPM info to the tags for you automatically. Just tag them and import into SSL, BPMs are all nice and ready in the column.

Posted Tue 10 Jan 06 @ 1:07 am
Dj XeoPRO InfinityMember since 2005
Nearly all of the features that you mention that VDJ doesnt have have been asked for at one time or another in the 'new features' forum. Most of the features that are most sorely missed seem higly accademic and trivial to implement, and even the more major features could be encompassed in the forthcoming sound engine overhaul. Its sometimes a shame that these features that would be simple to do and are being cried out for are ignored in prefferece to pursuing features that are far more major and will sell more licences.

also if you want to change from TCV to vinyl without stopping the song in VDJ, even on the same deck as you seem to describe, simply switch the value of timecode_active and then take off the needle and the song will continure, you can then use the Y-split to cue up on another channel.

Posted Tue 10 Jan 06 @ 4:09 am
Im seconding the feature, "Copy song to next deck"...
Very nice review by anewsome, great work...
Hope to see VDJ put in some new features in the upcoming "major" upgrade...
regards,
adi

Posted Tue 10 Jan 06 @ 6:16 am
What's up ya'll. Big up Anewsome for the wonderful unbiased review, I respect that. I totally agree with u in that ssl has a couple of better features. But the only things i need personally is the instant doubles feature u mentioned because i'm a hip-hop, dancehall DJ and better sound quality(because scratches sound very choppy compared to ssl). Besides that, i'm 100% satisfied with VDJ. Yes i've used SSL before, but i have to say VDJ is more user friendly. Maybe i'm just used to it. I'm gonna give VDJ a couple of more updates. Probably till VDJ 9 comes out LOL. But I truly belive in the VDJ team and I stand by them. This is a wonderful program. THIS GOES OUT TO THE DEV. TEAM> PLEASE MAKE OUR SCRATCHES SOUND LIKE SSL'S OR BETTER THAT'S ALL I ASK OF YOU LIKE RAPHAEL SADDIQ.

Posted Tue 10 Jan 06 @ 8:38 am
I give VDJ a lot of credit for allowing, in my opinion, so many offensive post on their forums. It shows that they have great confidence in their product. Why do I find this post offensive? If I wanted this much info on SSL, I could go to their website or their forum, and get that info myself. If you felt it was that important, why not post it on THEIR site, and give us a link to it? If most of you think it was "fair & balanced", read it again. I think it is a total lack of respect to come here, week after week, and go on and on about how great some other software is. Maybe you think your mission in life, is to "inform us unprofessional DJs", what real software should be like. I don't need someone to tell me what the best software is, I can figure that out for myself. I have been a DJ for 37 years, before there were computers. The main reason I went with software, is so I don't have to bring 6600 CDs, and I can find a track in seconds, period. It has not made my job easier. In fact, I am doing more then before. All I had to do before was, buy the music and play it. Now you have to buy, rip, encode, bpm, updated software, etc. Lets not forget about the computer. We know how much work that entails. All the stuff you are crying about, is of no use to me. However, I don't care if they put it in or not. IT'S THEIR SOFTWARE, AND THEY CAN DO WHAT THEY THINK IS BEST FOR THEM. That's what companies do. If you or I don't like it, Tough Shit. This company has been more than open about the ideas of their customers. However, some of us take it to far. I don't know why you are a VIP member, but I have read your post, and seen your blog and pictures. It is obvious you have a great deal of skills, and have been here a lot longer then I have. I and many others could use your help with THIS software. Hopefully, you will be around to offer that help. If not, and I need help with the other software, I will know where to find you. BTW, these are just my opinions, and I thank VDJ for giving us this forum.

Moderated by ACW. Anonimous Post deleted and putting your post in here.

Posted Tue 10 Jan 06 @ 9:00 am
Music man. I am a VIP user because I help make this product, VDJ better. Period. Some people contribute help make the product better and some don't. I do. Simple as that. I post what I am doing with software, even other software, because unlike you, some people value my opinion. Some people find something useful in what I have to say. You don't, and that's completely ok with me too but for the others that do, I feel it's a valid post. Read the comments, even people that totally disagree with me can agree that the post has value.

Thanks for letting me know where you stand on the post though. Just so you know, I asked before I posted whether or not people were interested in my experience with my new software. Many people said yes. That's why I posted it. If another member had bought it and offered to write about it before I had a chance to try it myself, I'd like to hear about it too.

I am not being disrespectful to the dev team at all. At least I don't think so and probably most people on the board don't think so either. But I'll tell ya what, I don't want to cause any problems here. I like contributing to the community, rather than breaking it down. I promise not to post any more comments about SSL on this forum, no matter how misled or misinformed people get about it.

Posted Tue 10 Jan 06 @ 9:32 am
your feedback was contructive, even the "occational SSL user" that comes here every so often, was contructive ;) no worries...

I have so much confidence in Virtual DJ, that I KNOW you will be back using it all the time for all your gigs ;)

Posted Tue 10 Jan 06 @ 10:21 am
This is a quote from my last post "I don't know why you are a VIP member, but I have read your post, and seen your blog and pictures. It is obvious you have a great deal of skills, and have been here a lot longer then I have. I and many others could use your help with THIS software. Hopefully, you will be around to offer that help. If not, and I need help with the other software, I will know where to find you." Now does this sound like I don't value your opinion? I come here for help with THIS software. I don't have a problem with your review of SSL. I don't think it should be here. As I said before, you could have given us a link to this review. That is my opinion. I just think it is rude that you come here in this forum, time after time to talk about how great SSL is. I read that post over and over, and I felt it was a slap at VDJ. Everyone here knows where you stand. But do you have to make that stand HERE? You know a lot more about computers then I, and I have no problem asking you for help. But, I will not ask you for help with SSL HERE. I will go to the SSL forum for that help. That's just the way I feel.

Posted Tue 10 Jan 06 @ 10:37 am
I think the feedback from Anewsome was contructive, and I also feel he will still be around, maybe even go back to full VDJ use when dev team have updated the sound engine and more... :)

Even so, I do have to agree with A Man and His music on a more general basis.
Such as the OTHER discussions regarding this topic, where some of the SSL users come here posting just plain silly statements, and where the thread doesnt have any profesionalism or contructive appeal at all. But those threads are closed now, and will be upped to Pro user level or even deleted in the future, if they dont have any value for this forum at all, but are simply promo posts for other software.

Now, Anewsomes post here was a clean simple and contructive review. And thats completely different.
As long as "others" dont destroy this thread by using the "opportunity" to act in a simply promotional way for other software.

I think Anewsome is in many ways very pro VDJ, and have a huge heart here for this software. As he says, he will continue helping out and stick around.
I read between the lines a wish for new features in Virtual DJ, and a better engine for sound and timecode. And as Dev Team said, its being worked on right now :)

I know for sure that VDJ will be the very best software there is... and constructive inputs on what Virtual DJ needs, and new features wanted, are always welcome. And I really think thats part of what Anewsome just did. As well as comparing the software in a contructive way.

Anyways, its down to the user what software to choose... And I dont feel ANY treath of "other software" what so ever! I really believe thats why we keep these posts open. VDJ is not treathened by other software that doesnt give much features, but might work a LITTLE bit better one one particular feature or something. Because we all know VDJ is a great software, and any sides of it that needs attention or improvement, will be done. We all know that for a fact, and we can all read the rapid history of development.

Acutally Virtual DJ and "the other software" uses the exact same timecode (almost), so I will for one not be surpriced at all if this year will bring on some neat changes that will reverse everything said by "other software" users in the heat of arguments here ;)

I think already VDJ is a great software offering features like no other, and even though some sides that timecode users needs, have taken a little time, thats being adressed as we post here ;) VDJ will shine for those issues and features Anewsome asked for, this year ;) And I know things will change ...

So yes, we are confident, and dont feel any treath. As long as the post is constructive and profesional (like anewsome), its really just a review for pro and cons of Virtual DJ, compared to "another software", and in the end, kinda like a tip for new features Anewsome want, and issues he wants to be adressed...
And I feel thats kinda what he's saying too.. between the lines ;)

Anewsome is a VIP member for several reasons. Not only is he very helpful at this forum, he's helped Dev Team directly fixing a scratch issue and more (took a whole nite for dev team CET time, but they are sports ...hehe)

Happy mixing, and stay cool ;)

- Rune -

Posted Tue 10 Jan 06 @ 10:54 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)